[Mini-guide] VoxelMap on 1.12.2

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by ShelLuser, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Hi gang!

Normally I play 'vanilla+ Minecraft' (basically: Minecraft + OptiFine + resource pack), but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in 'modded gameplay'. Quite frankly I sometimes really enjoy playing "TechCcraft" (my own name) using a relative small collection of mods I collected (stuff like RFTools, JustEnoughItems, etc.).

1.12.2 came out and that was the perfect time for me to look into my mod collection again, and I was quite happy to learn that nearly all of my favorite mods had updated. Even Botania which I haven't played with for while. All but VoxelMap :(

But did you know that you can 'fix' this yourself? Don't believe me?

VoxelMap on 1.12.2, though the official version only supports 1.12.1 right now

It's very easy to do, but probably won't work on Windows.

How to "upgrade"

It's easy! A litemod plugin is basically nothing more than a renamed zipfile. So if you grab an archiver you can easily extract its contents. Warning though: in some places the mod uses "double" names, so a.class and A.class. Windows probably can't grasp this because it usually makes no difference between UPPER and lower case characters, but other OS's will (like OS X and Linux).

Once you have this extracted find a file called "litemod.json", and open it with an editor. Find this:

Code:
    {
        "name": "VoxelMap",
        "mcversion": "1.12.1",
        "version": "1.7.0",
        "revision": "1700",
        "author": "MamiyaOtaru",

If you change 'mcversion' from 1.12.1 into 1.12.2 then you're all set. Re-create the archive, put it in your 'mod' folder as usually and you'll be able to enjoy VoxelMap right away.

I just discovered this trick myself, figured I'd share. First I need to check the authors policy on providing altered copies, but if there are no problems then I'll probably release it in my (unofficial) EMC modpack. It's about time a new version came out; it has been a while.
    MissFable and EvilBlo like this.
  2. Thank you so much for the tip, I am able to use my all times favorite minimap now!

It took some trial and error, as I'm no tech in this stuff. For 7zip, that I used initially, the issue was upper and lower case characters, but WinRar did the trick.

Thanks again :D
    ShelLuser likes this.