Minecraft Snapshot 12w17a released. - Editable books. :)

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Twitch1, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Editable books are something that I've been curious to see added. I always say to myself when watching adventure maps that it would be cool if they had the book in a chest with the notes they need to read :)
    They would probably need to put multiple books throughout the map if I'm involved though, considering I die a lot :p Or even a copy of the notes on the download page could work :) Yay.

The wooden slabs will be nice. When making stairs it would be nice for the colour of the floor to line up with the colour of the stairs :p Exciting stuff.
  2. This is gonna be awesome! :D can't wait 4 the update to come out! I wonder is notch will ever make book shelves you can store books in?If he does, i'll have a book store at 9169. :) :D :) :D
  3. pretty sure these thingies are called books :D
  4. Books with notes in them can be helpful for little community mystery games ;) *wink* *wink*
    hayleycolgan likes this.
  5. well time to make 20 stacks of books b4 new update comes out i dont gots leather :| and im going to be the EMC journalist! WAIT hold the presses good idea what if Justin puts news into a book u can buy for free at the store that way people can be extra informed on whats going on :p
    Spenser6 likes this.
  6. You may want to refrain from doing that. From what I understand, the new books are not going to convert old books... I will check this tonight to be absolutely sure, however.
  7. while i understand what youre saying.. i was focusing more on Full Adventure maps... As I was just looking at one the other day, had over 162 notes.. that I had to read as I went about through it.. and its a hassle... the best thing to do would be to place at the appropriate point and read it.. and even better for youtubers, because the text is easily shown on the screen.
    snozles, B4DMAN5IMON and Twitch1 like this.
  8. I understood your point of view immediately. It appears some folks have forgotten about the existence of Minecraft outside of EMC. WTG Justin and Jeremy on founding such an influencial community. ;)

In the spectrum of EMC, yes that will be a problem but their is the copy and paste function so far. Not an ideal measure, but functional none the less. I am certain that a programmer out there will find a way to manipulate the books for easy duplication if Mojang doesn't do so itself or until they do. :)

For Minecraft Adventure Maps, this is an amazing addition that will simplify and even advance the experience by a larger margin. The possibilities are limitless now. YAY! :)
    hayleycolgan, snozles and ISMOOCH like this.
  9. to make a book and quill u can use old or new books you just need to have book flint and ink sak soo... ill do it mainly because enchanting will go up a tad bookshelfs will be expensive (they still are) and ill be able to make lots of things for memory and stuff
  10. I was thinking we could set up mail system in EMC (based on what Tehwafflez said) and everyone has a chest on their
    res that can only be opened by them and the guy who delivers the mail so every week you get EMC news :)
    hayleycolgan and TTX170 like this.
  11. yeah something like that would be simple and cool depending if the book txt file is a weird format or not..

Why I am saying this is: book files that have the text saved wouldnt be in the jar. They would be in their own catagory under world saves. IF book files are a simple non in-game editable file like: .txt then we could easily implement sumthing with a command on a sign to recieve the EMC News.

BUT if Mojang screwed us over again it might be a little more time consuming to write everything :p and probably programing too :(
    ISMOOCH and snozles like this.
  12. Outch, out sign shops cannot handle written books atm. So Justin (or co) will have to do some extensions to allow it to. I think the best way would be to include book duplication. So you'd place one signed book and many empty book'n'quilts in a quest and setup the shop sign for "signed book copy".

And then we need an infinite book source in the tutorial area for the Empire Guide. And a check at the exit that slaps you with a thunderbolt (or two) if you try to leave without it.
    SpaceShuttleFan, ISMOOCH and Twitch1 like this.
  13. Maybe we just don't sell written books. Drop selling? The duplication thing would work too.
  14. Yep, that's unfortunate. I'd have preferred it remain expensive and EMC Shop exclusive. oh well.
  15. Ya I can't wait when 1.3 comes out. I was thinking I would change my shop to a library were I can sell books and write in some too.Then i would sell them. :p But I would need lots 'o' help for it. Expect a new thread asking for help! It would be really cool if I could do that....
  16. Now i can write epic stories and sell them for 100000000 rupees :cool:
  17. I was gonna travel back to town and write about life in the wild, then realized its not updated yet.
  18. *starts rapid copy and pasting after update*
  19. That is probably the best idea of anything ever I have ever seen. Just like the tools that you get through the tutorial, I believe it would be to easy for everyone to get a copy of the empire guide as they go through.
    snozles and AlexChance like this.
  20. I think Justin patched this a while ago.