Minecraft Scam Convention

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by wisepsn, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Actually, I trust him. It is not very unlikely that when you try to run an event like this on your own it fails. When he really tried to, he would not be able to do anything about it failing. Just because you can't run a big event like this with such few people. I agree that he should have understood that himself before he even started the event. Maybe he did not expect so many people, and people doing such things. Indeed, it was not well-organised and not proof for a big amount of nowadays-people. I don't think that he just did this to make money of it though, because then he would not have tried to rent people, would not have set up the scavenger hunt, would not have given out the prize money.

but I'm naive
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. Still, that DOESN'T mean you lie and say Nickelodeon is your sponser. I read the apology and started to feel bad for him BUT.. I remember that he lyed and said how Nickelodeon was sponsering him. There was too many holes in his apology, thats why I don't accept it and I hope he looses lots of money.

PS: He didn't have to buy food or stuff like that, 2 hours at the place didn't cost that much.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. I believe that no one has jumped to conclusions yet. Yes, there is two parts of the story. I actually legitly feel bad for this Kevin dude, but I ALSO feel bad for the children and parents who were lied to about this garbage of a event. Kevin Roman still hasn't explaining on why he said Nickelodeon was sponsering. This guy just need to get fined/go to jail for fraud for like two months because he is in the wrong and kinda in the right.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. PLUS
    why aren't there any photos of the scavenger hunts or anything that he blamed the problems on?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. Funny right. The photographer only took pictures of people that seemed to be happy, but in the pictures you won't see them that happy and some of them were crying and yelling. It was the photographers job probably to only take good pictures to make it seem like it was less of a disaster, sadly people already took videos of the catastrophe so he can't really deny..
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. I mean the guy who created convention.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. He just said the website when down, he never said that the Mariott was never even booked.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. Wow...
    Fool us once, shame on you.
    Fool us twice, shame on us.
    If he indeed is attempting to set another up, I really cannot feel bad for him, and feels scammier.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  11. The Long Island event is this weekend and the tickets are $50, not $200: https://motm2k13.webconnex.com/motmny

The dude's probably backing out because of how the Florida event went. I don't see how anyone could expect a local event run by a couple people, hosted at a little banquet hall, and priced at a third of the price to compare to an international event hosted at a large convention center by professionals.
    QuarterStop and Equinox_Boss like this.
  12. :mad: DREAM KILLER!
    Equinox_Boss and wisepsn like this.
  13. I don't care if you are backing out or being scared, you made a deal with hundreds of people who have payed money and you are DEFENDING him because he is BACKING OUT? Seriously? Now he is probably going to do another scam but this time no convention, and the pay pal users probably won't be able to get refunds.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  14. Wow. You really seem emotionally invested in this. How many tickets did you buy?

I was just providing factual information. I didn't buy tickets. I was not there. I saw pictures from the unhappy people showing unhappy people and a mess. I also saw pictures from the event photographer showing happy kids doing the sort of activities that were advertised. I've read the Facebook scam page comments and I've read the organizer's explanation.

Everything else - The prizes. The misrepresenting of sponsors. What events happened and why. Whether this guy intended to cheat people. All of that is hearsay and speculation.

The Long Island event is scheduled for this weekend, not last weekend. It shouldn't be lumped in with the Orlando event until AFTER this weekend. Whether either is/was actually fraudulent is still left to be determined by people more qualified than you or I. If you want to believe that the event in Long Island already happened and that the tickets cost $200 each go right ahead. You could also telepathically determine what he's thinking and maybe buy a few Lotto tickets while you are at it. We can consider the Long Island event a scam or not after this weekend, but for now, it is an event that hasn't had a venue rented yet.

[opinion]
    As far as my opinion goes, I saw an advertisement for the Florida event. It didn't impress me as much more than a quaint little party for grade school kids to go to and get their faces painted. I think that the people who were initially complaining seemed to be expecting MineCon, a professionally run event that cost three times more and sold out 7500 tickets in seconds. A completely different venue completely different audience run by completely different people in a completely different way.

This wasn't MineCon. It was a dinky little kiddie party. I would not have attended expecting the same caliber of event. If I stick to the facts and "testimony" I've read, I think this was a couple of people trying to do something they weren't qualified to do and it went very wrong. If I had organized the Florida event, I'd be backing out of the Long Island one STAT and refunding money as fast as I could right now. Maybe he is, maybe he is not. If that is what he is doing, good. I'm sure we will hear about it either way.

I also think that unless we bought a ticket or are/were involved in hosting the events, we're better off de-bunching our collective panties and moving on.
    [/opinion]
  15. LOL, This Dudes Event Got GRIEFED In Real Life!
    Griefers ARE everywhere!
    I am totally going to wait until he hosts a Meeting of the Mines party around Chicago.
    Then when the griefers show up, I will PVP em with my trusty ole iron sword!

Hey, remember, the choice is Mine! (bad pun intended)
    boozle628, Equinox_Boss and jkjkjk182 like this.
  16. I don't believe his apology one bit. He claims the decorations were stolen... REALLY?! There wouldn't just be a whole bunch of people coming in and stealing everything before this starts, I mean... Come on! The only possible ways someone would steal that is if someone was going out of their way to make this party crap. I don't believe this at all. Really, life sized Minecraft people and a full wooden horse? People don't just steal that. It would have had to be someone who knew about this and wanted to make it a disaster. Either that, or he never had the decorations in the first place. Way more believable.

Sorry, I get a little annoyed by this and it feels good to rant about it.
    Equinox_Boss and wisepsn like this.
  17. Okay, I might of got a little too aggressive on this topic. The thing is, I am emotionally invested in this. You are defending the person who committed fraud, and it's obvious.

You are trying to back up your opinions with facts I never even was talking about.. In fact now I'm confused if you are defending Kevin are not.. you are going in different areas right now.

They never even CHECKED the tickets at the doors for the weekend. I understand it wasn't going to be big like minecon, but he had promises that he never done, he lied about the sponsors, the it was a STRAIGHT up lie for the Starcraft. Kevin doesn't know how YouTube works. People won't just subscribe to you and you get 5 millions subs like captain sparkles just BECAUSE. If Kevin didn't want the event to get so big, he would have made it only a local event, not making huge lies and holes.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  18. I realized that I was also going a little overboard with ranting about this, too. I just wanted to point out that this guy only apologized for the more important things, but you could tell where he was lying. You just have to consider every factor of it and every single detail before you can really choose sides. For instance, I talk about one thing at a time and explain why it could be a lie or is a lie. But what I'm saying is, he made his apology look convincing, but there are some details he just can't cover for. There were tons of flaws with it that he couldn't cover well.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  19. No "might" about it. I understand the outrage, but unless you were personally involved in this incident, you have only as much information as the rest of us, and whatever conclusions you choose to draw from it is conjecture. You're utterly convinced it was a scam from the beginning. That's okay. Going on the warpath and lashing out at anyone who disagrees with your conclusion? Not okay.

Trying to hold a public event is akin to herding ferrets - unless you've carefully handpicked only the most obedient ferrets, you're going to need a lot of help and it's all too easy to get in over your head. Maybe Roman wanted to scam convention-goers from the beginning and is blowing smoke to cover it up, or maybe he simply had no idea what he was getting into and things have spiraled well out of his control - either is plausible, and as Pab10S said, most likely the truth is somewhere in between.

And on a personal note, wisepn, personal experience has taught me that making snap judgements about people based on second- and third-hand information is never a good idea.
  20. I'm not really sure what to think, but maybe that's a good thing.
    QuarterStop and OrangeDuck607 like this.