Minecraft Launcher updated, Now I can't get on Empire.

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by NDubb424, Feb 7, 2017.

1. My Launcher updated today, and now when I try to connect to Empire it says:

"Failed to connect to the server
    Internal Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException"

Truthfully, if I were using Windows, I would do a system restore and resolve the issue, but I'm on a Mac, and I'm pretty useless on this thing. Any dumbed down form of help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. A null pointer exception occurs in Java when there is either a variable which is not being used, or a function is calling a variable which ha snot been previously defined. If you're using mods, then one of them has not been coded properly. If you know what you're doing then a quick look through the class files will reveal the problem. Alternatively, uninstall all of your mods, and reinstall them one by one to determine which is the problematic mod. If you don't use mods, then just reinstall your Minecraft. This should fix the problem.
    NDubb424 likes this.
  3. Perfect! I am not using Mods, and everything I found online only talked about "if you are using mods" none of them covered if I'm not. I will reinstall my Minecraft and give it a try! Thank you!
  4. Any ideas if reinstalling minecraft doesn't work?
  5. How long do these errors last? Also: is this only the Empire which doesn't work for you? Because it could very well be caused by something totally unrelated to the launcher (which I think it is).

(Edit): If you play on other servers try one of them (don't mention the name! that could be considered advertising). What does that give you?
  6. This is the first time this has happened, and its been about 2 hours since the launcher updated. I was on, logged off to take care of something, came back maybe 15 mins later, and the launcher updated, and that's when the error popped up. I hope you are right and they are unrelated.

I do not play on any other servers, but just to test out this theory I will try one really quick. One Second.
  7. Ok, tried several, all gave me the same error.
  8. Right, so it's definitely something on your end. First: when you said you reinstalled Minecraft I assume you merely ran the installer, let that do its thing and then tried to fire it up again?

I don't have the new launcher yet, so I can't reproduce anything, but my theory is that it might be related to your Java version. Thing is: Minecraft (and the new launcher) ship an older version of Java. It might be possible your profile settings somehow clash a bit there.

Can you edit your profile? If so: do you have any changed settings behind the last 2 options (the Java settings, so "Executable" and "JVM Arguments")? If you do then I suggest to turn that off and then try again. If you don't want to change things then try creating a new profile, make sure it uses the latest version and then try again using the default Java settings.
    NDubb424 likes this.
  9. In the old launcher I had access to my profile. I can't figure it out in this one. Jeeze. I'm a bit aggravated now. It even got rid of my skin. I didn't even want the new launcher. It just downloaded by itself -_-
    ShelLuser likes this.
  10. Very well understandable.

Ok, another approach (based on this thread):
    • Find your Minecraft game folder.
    We interrupt this post for an important message: NDubb updated his Java and is now once again logged onto the Empire :D

Thanks for the update NDubb!
    NDubb424 likes this.
  11. As Shel stated, issue resolved! If anyone else runs into this I updated my Java to 8. Thanks everyone for your help!
    ShelLuser likes this.

12. I love how Mojang is forcing their new stupid launcher onto everyone. The old laucher was simple, functional, and easy to use. Now we have to deal with a complicated piece of crap that nobody wanted.
    TomvanWijnen and NDubb424 like this.
  13. Got new launcher today on laptop but still old one on PC. No issues yet on laptop. Like that you can change skin using it but other then that can't say that I care either way.
  14. NDubb424 likes this.
  15. If I hadn't of had an issue logging in for a few hours, I probably would of liked it. I do like that I can change my skin on it without having to log in to the website. That was super convenient seeing how my skin was lost upon updating! lol!

But, I'm with WitherDoggie.. I feel like they basically forced it on us. An option would have been nice. And given the option between the new and the old, I would have picked the old, but I am a creature of habit.
    ThaKloned likes this.
  16. Well as a developer I'm very happy about what the new launcher gives us on the backend side... but yeah it is aesthetically ugly.

A main benefit to the new launcher is that it lets mojang force users to run an updated Java. This is necessary in order to bump Minecraft to require Java 8, as some old Mac OS versions still use Java 6 (and newer uses 7 iirc, not 8)

But let me assure you, we are all longing for the day that minecraft requires 8..... 8 was a HUGE step up for Java development.
    NDubb424 likes this.
  17. Last night I got the new launcher on my home PC and nothing but errors loading. Turned out my video card drivers needed to be updated. Work fine after that. So if anyone has issues, here's another option to try.

And funny enough, still have the old launcher here at work lol
  18. Actually that is something the old ('current') launcher already does as well. Talking about the 1.6.76 version, I don't keep up with this so I don't know how older versions behave. But that too downloads and uses its own Java runtime by default. Within that context nothing really changed here.