"Minecraft 1.9: The Combat Update"

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by SkareCboi, Apr 2, 2015.

1. I'm also a bit indifferent to the new 1.8 update because it seems to me as if the major changes are mostly cosmetic (new stone blocks, banners (even though these are quite cool IMO), the wooden items and armor stands) and gameplay (basically making it more difficult; like enchanting now requiring lapis, no longer mixing wood types to make a door, etc.). Although I do applaud the change that skeletons can now no longer easily shoot you while in the water.

Still; it seems to me as if the 1.8.2 update really fixed performance. The game wasn't playable on my PC nor on my gf's laptop, but ever since 1.8.2 got released we both have a lot less issues where performance is concerned. For us the game has actually become playable. It is kind of funny; after 1.8.2 we began playing in a "1.8 world" to get a better feel for the changes in a survival setting, but so far the major changes we ran into are the new stone types which got quickly used to decorate the starting build a little bit and the banners. Oh; and my gf made an armor stand.

But that's basically it so far. Haven't done much with rabbits, can't brew yet because we still haven't found a nether stronghold fortress, I've been too lazy to hunt for obsidian so; no enchantment table either (but we do have plenty of lapis already, so I also think that the lapis change won't affect the whole thing too much). Which is why I'm a bit indifferent; the new sea monument is nice and all; but what are the chances of finding one (depending on your environment)? I'd say much less than finding other types such as the mineshaft, strongholds (eye of ender) or desert temple.

Alas; when it comes to combat I agree that the system is a bit simple, but I also think that the simplicity is kinda fitting for the game. Minecraft isn't for everyone, simple as that, and if you make changes in an attempt to make it more appealing you may very well risk ticking off the current playerbase in the wrong way.

Which is one of the reasons I like singleplayer so much: if you don't like or care for the new changes you can simply continue playing the current version of the game. And I think that feature is actually one of the best advantages they have (example: I stopped playing Gran Turismo 5, even though I loved that game, due to several game updates which totally took away the fun for me. Because its on PS3 I can't just back out of the patches).
    Byeforeverthe2nd and bloodra1n like this.
  2. I think you're going against any changes to Minecraft that make it less and less than Notch originally intended it to be. The Ender Dragon, ocean monuments, guardians, enchanting, brewing, anvils, 1.7 biomes, etc. are all elements from RPGs. When Minecraft 1.0 was released 3 years ago, some players from Alpha and Beta Minecraft disliked the RPG elements Mojang was adding. Some were concerned it would become the online RPG "World of Warcraft".

Honestly, I think it's ridiculous with how people are reacting to the changes Jeb and Dinnerbone have been directing since 2012. Even from all of the hate players have on the developers, they aren't going to stop with adding new features to the game. And with how 1.9 is being taken at the moment, that update too will contain RPG elements.

In the end, Minecraft changed from what it was in the past. For some people, change is hard, but it's also good in general because it lets us have new experiences in our lives. You also have to consider that nothing can last forever.
    hashhog3000 and ShelLuser like this.
  3. Honestly, to me, 1.8 can't get here fast enough on EMC. There is one thing and one thing only I care about from that patch, but it's a game changer.

Slime Blocks.

As an avid redstone user, I would trade my everything I own for them to be implemented on server tomorrow. However, I can understand if the server and the "powers that be" needed to... curb some of their uses a little bit (flying machines, giant robots that walk, submarines, etc).
  4. There's just too much in minecraft now :O
    jkjkjk182 and kitten3101 like this.
  5. RPG elements are good. Just not when designed for a SANDBOX game. They planned a RPG a while back. They could have free reign there when it comes to RPG.
    ScarTheNinja and jkjkjk182 like this.
  6. I'd like to consider a few things, for builders/designers such as myself I personally LOVE the new blocks, the redsandstone, the prismarine, the new stone blocks, and with banners indoor decorating has become a thing, curtains, mirrors, wall paper, this has got to be my second favorite update in the past 3 years, next to the redstone update.

Also ocean monuments aren't too hard to find, you just gotta find an ocean, which I believe was made a tad more abundant in 1.8 due to the introduction of Ocean Monuments.
    Byeforeverthe2nd and ShelLuser like this.