Map Art

Discussion in 'Share Your EMC Creations' started by Falchion_GPX, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Please move this to the relevant section if it doesn't go here.

I'd like to know what software is best for converting art to Minecraft color pallet, for map art. I don't have Photoshop so I don't have the custom pallets I'd usually use.

What do people use? What is best? This image tends to look blegh on the converter's I've found, as they cannot intrepret the light green. Earth-tones in 256 have never ben great so some of what I've seen is forgivable.

Below image in bmp format.

Some converters simply don't pick up the greens. Help please.

Also, are schematic-assisted mods OK to use? IE Litmatica or Schematica or whatever so I don't have to remember 128 block sequences. :p

Converting files can be a pain.

Original (If you want to make one, use this)

Yes, I photochopped it out to be square.

Settings in MapartCraft (https://rebane2001.com/mapartcraft/)
    https://rebane2001.com/mapartcraft/...10Q11Q12Q13Q14Q15Q16Q17Q18Q19Q1aQ1bQ1cQ1dQ1eQ

Set to MC Version 1.15.2
    2D, No Staircasing (OMGolf No)
    Results with preprocessing of Brightness of 85, Contrast 126, Saturation of 112.
    Antialiasing, Floyd-Steinburg,

Resulting Image

2. Yes, you can use Schematica.
    It sounded like Jelle knew a lot about maps—which isn't strange, as he knows a lot about colours and he knows a lot about Minecraft.
    Edit: Ah right, he learnt the map stuff in order to be able to help me. Well, he's a quick learner. ;)
  3. I did indeed :)

The image you have there is probably as good as it is going to get. There are only 58 (I think) colours you can work with, all of which have a slightly lighter and a slighly lower tone when sloped north or south respecively. That is not too much you can work with. The amount of possible colours hasn't changed a lot, and I doubt it has in 1.16 - most similar blocks are displayed as having the same colour. The best you can do is get a higher resolution (more maps,) such that you can mix colours (putting blocks next to eachother) more effectively. I really don't see another option...
    607 and HazardousCode like this.
  4. I'd say the example you gave looks quite good, to be honest.
  5. yeah i dont see anything wrong with the one you posted, Falch. It looks pretty :)