Making a minecraft mod like Improved Chat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by d1223m, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fixed a few more things:

* chat scrolling with page up/down (yay)
    * simplified watching for text by stripping color codes ( optional in case you really want to check for a color )
    * chat history background color variable
    * chat history height variable (in lines)
    * stop twitch entering silly broken color values ;)
    * keep the chat gui open after sending a message - you have to press esc to leave chat. ( I think this is how improved chat does it - it seems better to me. Ill probably make it an option in case people dont like it)

Seems kind of useable now. Next up is wrapped text entry - then I think I can switch to my mod full time (If I can get it to work with Optifine)
    thecontroller likes this.
  2. I <3 U!
  3. Hey, I talked to Justin about making a Mod Pack for EMC and he said yes, I'm thinking if you could only release the mod only for the Mod Pack? I would love a feedback from you!
  4. I really dont think its usable just yet - but of course when Im done you can use it for what you like :)

An EMC pack sounds like a great idea!
    Squizzel_Boy likes this.
  5. Yeah That sounds cool add some sort of you can add nicknames onto your friends like instead of when I talk into the chat before the nickname (If you were my friend adding it) you would see

Squizzel_Boy Hello

you could see this

[]Squizzel_Boy Hello
    but only your friend can see
    I do not know if this is possible but having a red box next to there name would make it easy to find there line of text when they are on the chat (To spot you friends posts)

tell me what you think :)
  6. I think it should be possible to highlight friends sure :)

Ill see what I can do.
    Squizzel_Boy likes this.
  7. You will have more trouble with the original authors of the mods we allow than with the permission to do so here on EMC...
  8. Yes :D
  9. New version!

Before you even think of downloading the file:
    * dont ask how to install it - if you cant you probably dont want to be running it yet ( this is just a first version to see if it works at all for anyone else but me)
    * i have no idea about compatibility with other mods ( I would try it with a clean minecraft )
    * this isnt even nearly a complete replacement for ImprovedChat yet - dont expect it to be
    * i take absolutely no responsibility for breaking your computer/MC/life ( i dont even really know java so who knows what I did... )
    * you should always be very carefull when downloading any files from the internet, especially ones that can execute code on your computer - maybe I stuck in some code to send me your MC username and password ( note: i didnt )

This has epic amounts of awesomeness I cant even begin to explain in one post.... ;)

I would place this in <your-minecraft-folder>/d1223m/chat.conf - or just enter the commands once its running.
    Code:
    set output_max_history "500"
    on -start "Welcome to Empire Minecraft server" exec "unset tell; set whichchat T; setpromptifnottell"
    on -start "Set focus on Town" exec "set whichchat T; setpromptifnottell"
    on -start "Set focus on Moderators" exec "set whichchat M; setpromptifnottell"
    on -start "Set focus on Local" exec "set whichchat L; setpromptifnottell"
    on -start "Set focus on Supporters" exec "set whichchat S; setpromptifnottell"
    on -start "Started conversation with" exec "set tell 1; set prompt TELL>"
    on -start "Ended your conversation" exec "unset tell; setpromptifnottell"
    define setpromptifnottell exec -ifnset=tell  "set" "prompt" "\$(whichchat)> "

You should then have a different prompt for every chat type you enter - should even work when entering/leaving a /tell

Some highlights:
    * a bunch of new variables to play with
    * mouse wheel scrolling of output
    * built in help
    * lots of overly complicated commands to do clever stuff - including defining custom commands and variable interpolation

If you previously installed this mod I would clear out the d1223m/chat.conf before you run this again.

Attached Files:

10. I can't wait until all that stuff doesn't apply anymore so I can see the epic awesomeness for myself!
  11. I never got a chat.cfg file (or any file for that matter) in my minecraft/d1223/
  12. me too! waiting for my friendly tester Twitch to try it ;)

I am running it now in my default MC without any problems. Next step is trying with OptiFine I think.
  13. Hah! you must of posted that at the same time as i posted :D

You probably never did a `~save`
  14. You are correct....
    Other than that, it functions quite well. :) I like it. I feel I can ditch Improved Chat as long as everything is compatible. :)
    Only thing missing now is the copy/paste function... You couldn't copy in game text with the original either, but you could do control+v to paste from the Clipboard. :D
    d1223m likes this.
  15. Yay I hoped you'd say that :D

As my only user - what do you need that iv missed from improved chat? I think whats missing is:
    * key bindings
    * copy/paste
    * tabs
    * replacing input/output text
    * something else?

Which are you missing the most?
  16. Copy/paste mostly.
    I am looking forward to an improved Tab system as well. :)
    Key bindings would be nice, but I am so swamped with my mods that I just type now... :D
  17. Copy/paste it is then!

For the tab system Im still hoping someone with some UI skills will suggest a nice design for how the tabs should work... The ImprovedChat system was pretty ugly imo.
  18. Thanks. :) It is so much easier to copy/paste your long examples rather than typing. ;)
    However, I will do some more testing, when I can... to explore the ~save command and such...
    I am in trouble with work for going to a medical appointment that apparently everyone else forgot I told them this morning...
    I agree haha... I would like something along the lines of Guild Wars (tabs over the top of the chat window, signifying which tab you are in/have open)
  19. There is now ~save, ~load and ~reset for your config. You can use notepad or such to create that d1223m/chat.conf file and then just `~load` to read it. The config is always reset on a ~load so you can happily keep your text editor open and not have to worry about typing the commands into MC.

I will have to search for some screenshots of this Guild Wars...
  20. Hmm, I've just installed it, I have Optifine and Rei's Minimap, All seems to be running fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.