M4nic_M1ner's world of PR

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by M4ster_M1ner, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thank you for the response, I will answer later as good and helpful as I can.
    Feel free to move this discussion about threats, PR style and related topics to a new thread - if that's ok with other participants.
    AlexChance likes this.
  2. lol, with every post M4nic_M1ner makes, ISMOOCH comes back with an even bigger one
  3. I may have missed something but, what does "PR" stand for...?
  4. lul what, only just noticed that this thread got entirely moved, didn't know you could do that.
    JackBiggin likes this.
  5. Public relations.

Wait, you mean it got split off from the thread about the actual appreciation nomination thingy? :rolleyes:
    Silken_thread likes this.
  6. I didn't even realize it happened until somebody like my post heh
  7. Ok then, well, the more I think about the contest, the more it looks like a popularity contest. It may be a good idea, but, I just think it is too much like that, and no matter how the contest is done, people will get hurt feelings. Think about it, if I were nominated, and I was so happy I was at least nominated, then I am not one of the winners, because the staff choose someone else over me, do you think I would be upset? I would very much be. I think it would just be better to not have this type of contest (or have it as a contest at least) and just have a silent tip, that someone was nice, and they deserve like 500 rupees. I mean, it may be a EMC community appreciation contest, but, not all in the community is appreciated.
  8. This is exactly the reason each and every nomination is completely private. You will never know that you weren't "chosen".
    Kephras and PandasEatRamen like this.
  9. Regardless, other people would still be hurt for not being appreciated enough.
  10. Merging :p
  11. The whole thing is secret because, if it was public and everyone on EMC could choose, it would be:
    (Names removed so I don't get raged at)

If it was all public nominations, the most active people on the forums would get it and then everyone else would feel left out, people would leave, people would get upset and break the rules, throw tantrums etc. That's why people will be nominated and staff will choose. Not everyone who plays on EMC fully understands/feels the same. Person one could lose and just say "Oh, I didn't win this time. Maybe next time." and Person two's reaction could be "Well this is retarded, I'm never going to win, it's all about who can kiss butt and who everyone likes the most! EVERYONE JUST NOMINATES THEIR BEST FRIENDS OMG!"
    jkjkjk182 and Kephras like this.
  12. Lol, the PR discussion was broken off of the main thread to separate the discussions, discussion about the appreciation should remain on its thread.
    PandasEatRamen and PenguinDJ like this.
  13. That was... Butiful...
    Have a muffin... ;3
    You earned it...
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  14. Nobody told M4nic to shut up in any way. In fact we moved his discussion to it's own thread so it could be discussed more. The problem is, there are people who mistake us answering people with why we do things as "shutting them down" as you have here. If we simply agreed and went along with every single thing someone suggested, there would be no need for staff and it would be anarchy. As you can see from previous responses to things he's posted, you will see that not only are we simply giving him OUR view on things, but the majority of the players agree with how we do things.

If you wish to assume you're going to be ripped apart on a forum when you ask for feedback or something that may not be the same opinion as yours, EMC isn't the problem for you, it's the internet.
    jkjkjk182, PenguinDJ and RainbowChin like this.
  15. personally, id like to see if i was or wasnt nominated, but i have thicker skin then most folks round these parts so lack of one wont really hurt my feelings lol
  16. Not going to "rip apart" your statement, Silken, I've felt the same on occasion. Lord knows Aikar and ICC are probably sick to death of hearing my thoughts on the Enraged mobs by now. But it's also important to recognize when your objections are in the minority, and realize that sometimes no matter how rational you think you're being, you don't speak for most of the players on EMC.

M4nic brings up some good points regarding the "threatening" tone on the form. And his reasoning for an open view of nominations is sound. There is some merit in having this discussion, despite what my previous posts might suggest. But Jack already explained why these are set up as they are, and the reality of the situation is sometimes people do need to see a sterner tone in their warning labels to get the hint. Keeping the nominations secret is done to avoid having a negative or divisive influence on the community. EMC has a great group of people, but it also skews to the younger side of the demographic and there are people here who'd raise a fuss if they weren't nominated, or if they were, but not picked. "Why them and not me? Aren't I good enough?" That's not the tone the staff wants to set here, and by singling one or a few individuals out for recognition, they run that risk already - open nominations would only compound the problem.

Having said that, if you wish to nominate M4nic, by all means do so :) It is perfectly within your right. The nice thing about this whole idea is, the nominees just have to be a positive influence on the community. Occasionally that might include speaking up for the unpopular opinion, raising points the staff had overlooked, and doing what they can to make EMC a better place for everyone here.
  17. as a side note, it only takes one person to nominate you to win, making more people nominate you is pointless
  18. My point was how I felt M4nic was being shot down yet again for his point of view on the ban comment, more then the nominations. I only mentioned that part because of all the good that he does do.
  19. Again, he wasn't being shot down, but explained why we do things how we do. We know that the adult players already (hopefully) know they shouldn't do shady things and will get banned for them. However, as numerous people already said, there are a lot of younger players who need to hear it in a certain way in order to properly understand it.

I know the argument from M4nic on this will be: "You have to give them a chance before you say that." Which I agree with, and we have. Our rules used to be less specific on things and we constantly got: "Your rules never said I would get banned for doing (insert rules they broke)." So, we ask that you please trust our combined experience in how we do things here and know we take time and thought in our processes. :)
    jkjkjk182 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  20. There is more then one way to tell a person to shut up and go away, I have seen several comments from staff in relationship to M4nic's opinions in threads over time. Mentioning that he is complaining, the intention may not be that you want the person to go away but the way the comment - reply is put using the word complaining in a negative.In this sense it can seem through text talk that the person is being told "stop complaining if you can't agree with our point of view then please go away" it is all in the tone of how the comment is made.

Why not just simply say, "We hear what your saying, however the staff have discussed this in detail and we all feel this is the best way to do the nominations, but thank you for your opinion".

Does that not sound much friendlier, compared to....

"You are the only one I have seen to complain about the PR of this event being run to recognize the hard-working players

of EMC."

As for the nomination thing you are running I have no opinion either way, I simply mentioned M4nic because he was being considered a complainer and while some may think that, they should also know that he does a lot for this community. Just because you may not like or agree with his opinion, please do not consider him un-caring or just a complainer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.