Lets talk about the wild, shall we?

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by Mrlegitislegit, Jul 9, 2014.

1. thankyou now can we all jsu tbe friends
  2. Thank you MrLegitislegit for this thread, as I find it really helpful to see all these opinions, and I am happy to hear, you like being in Carthaga :)

Rather inexperienced as I am in outpost organization, very soon I realized that complicated systems are hard to implement in MC. For example, in the very first days of Carthaga we wanted to have an initialization rite for new members, where we would exchange the head of a player against a signed book, that would serve as a kind of passport. Soon I found out that this is too tedious; either the players haven't had a head of them or I haven't had a copy of the book ready for them. It was just to big of a hurdle for people to join. So, we dropped this, haha.

But I also found out that some players like to have a representative/voting system as well as a rank/point system, because naturally they like to be recognized for their contributions. So, I was squeezing my brains out on how this could be done easily. I know, I won't be able to administer a database noting down all the individual contributions/votes without generating grief, greed or unfairness. Please find the results of my brain storming, with the help of some members, in the next few days in the opening post of the Carthaga thread. Our outpost is in phase III now, which is meant to adjust the setting and rules to the needs of a growing community. So, please comment, suggest or criticize on these ideas.

Sorry, this is becoming a bit lengthy, but I still have a few points:
    Before going public I read through the threads of other outposts (OPs) and got the feeling that political systems are an end in itself and do not necessarily add to the community. On the other side I wanted to give the OP some sort of purpose. So, first of all I stayed away from all terms that are even remotely associated with politics. And second, came up with the idea of supporting other EMC projects with our wo/man-power and resources. I think, this concept is working out very well.

As Pab10S has mentioned before, we were able to do all this only by social control or, in other words, by creating a culture of friendliness and respect. Whereas by now I am facing a new problem: Members don't take there own decisions anymore and wait for my ok before they take initiative. Even though that was good for phases I through to early phase III, we will try to change this by giving back responsibility to the citizens of the town, latest when phase IV starts. Why? Coming back to zulu9's TLDR: Because it is the wilderness, a place of freedom!

Last point, I promise:
    72Volt has started an initiative for cooperation between several OPs, which I really like. Working together is always beneficial and brings us forward. There were good ideas like establishing proxies in the other OPs or an in-game summit of all the founders, leaders and mayors. I'd like to appeal once again to all involved in this to finally act on these ideas. Also, this far it is a chosen group of OPs and I think we should open up for other OPs to join in on this.

In short, an OP is a social and dynamic building. If there is a leader, they need to be flexible and take into account the wishes of the other players. Thank you :)
    mba2012, zulu9, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kitten, don't you DARE try to cause an argument on this thread, go take it somewhere else.

Well said. :) I know people like to have a voting system in outposts and that's what I always have in my outposts, we just have vote on ideas and stuff. The problem really comes with a full blown government in Minecraft which just slows down the voting process. Just have your members vote on ideas, I don't see a need in having a congress and a senate. I've also had members of my outpost ask me if they can do things even though the point of my outpost is just to have fun. I don't care what you build as long as its allowed on Minecraft and a reasonable distance away from other people's structures.
    zulu9 likes this.
  4. You should stop insulting my ideas on this threasd then.
  5. Get over it. I posted a warning. If you can't handle criticism than don't post.
  6. Let's all be friends now the EMC is about kindness not a Cold War =P
    zulu9 likes this.
  7. Quit picking on each other.....and if lukafolz and arveng are doing it (not saying they are) and get caught by staff that's on them
  8. This isn't even on the empire =P
    607 likes this.
  9. Oh well :p