Is it possible for iron farm villages to break?

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by PetezzaDawg, Sep 12, 2017.

1. I was wondering is it possible for artificial villages to just unregister as villages? My iron farms efficiency has dropped a bit lately and I'm wondering are some of the modules broken.
  2. Note: I don't use farms myself, I'm only reflecting on what I know about villager behavior.

Normally a villager can 'forget' about the village it belongs to when it's 32 blocks away from the area and even then it'll take approx. 6 - 10 seconds before this kicks in (see the villager behavior section on the Minecraft wiki). Other than that it's somewhat unlikely that they'll forget, but it does depend on design.

If there are problems I don't think it's about villagers forgetting about the area (seems unlikely) but more so about unfavorable conditions for the iron golem to spawn. Is it 16x6x16 as depicted here? It might help if you shared your design, I think that's key here.
    607 and PetezzaDawg like this.

3. That's the top basin. It's 18*18, the entire farm including walls is 20*20 There's a second basin 4 blocks below.
    There's 48 doors per farm, and there's 12 farms in total, each is 65 blocks from each other either vertically or horizontally, with my alt afking at the centre of all of these farms.

Those are the villager cages, 3 villagers per cage, 4 cages per farm, one on each side.
    607 likes this.
  4. 607 likes this.
  5. I find a better rate with 4 per side. Also I make sure mine can see daylight. Hope this helps.
    607 and ThaKloned like this.
  6. I agree with finch 6 doors per side and 4 villagers per side is what I have and with 12 total units it's very good rates. I also only use glass to surround the villagers and my farm is 20x20, then the walls. I also built mine with the very minimum blocks required. You can see it in the thread JesusPower2 posted above.
    607 likes this.
  7. I had to replace the glass because iron golems were spawning inside the blocks. That's why there's slabs and blocks on it, not glass, there used to be glass.

The inner corners of each wall to each wall.
  8. That's why I made my farm 20x20. Golems can't spawn outside of the 20x20 box. Also if you make their holding cells purely glass, nothing can spawn on them as they need a solid block.
    607 and PetezzaDawg like this.
  9. Doesn't fewer doors mean a smaller village? I've got 12 doors per side. How much iron does your farm produce in a given period of time?
  10. I can probably get a DC of blocks in a day or 2. 24 doors per unit, 6 per side with 4 villagers per side.
  11. The only issue I ever have is villagers randomly despawning, but the way my farm is set up I can usually determine a "failed village" quite quickly by collection rates. Are you sure all of your villagers are still there?

Leave the roof off the villager chambers for quick access - they don't care if they get wet in the rain :)
  12. I am certain all my villagers are still there, but villagers do care if they get struck by lightning :p They turn into witches.
    ThaKloned and 607 like this.
  13. Regarding golems in the walls --
    Golems are 2x2, so when they spawn at the edge of the floor they can be halfway in a glass wall. This is a signal that the spawning floor should be 1-block larger in that direction. (Spawning area is not block symmetrical!) By preventing the spawn with solid blocks you are blocking some spawns, but it won't noticeable hurt your rates.

Also, because that node design activates in separate halves, there is a window where a golem may attempt to spawn in the wall sections. This can also happen if at any time the doors expire.

Regarding rates --
    A 10-villager 21-door node should generate about 38 ingots/hr on average. I have also confirmed this on my farm.

Regarding missing villagers --
    I've seen this due to chunk borders. In the past I used a box style farms with glass pens, and found that when I'd approach the farm from a distance the walls of a pen could unload. This allowed the villagers to collision-nudge into the glass, which later allowed an escape. It was pretty rare but was a maintenance pain.

Regarding doors and village size --
    Number of doors does not affect village radius. Only the position of the doors matters, but with a minimum radius of 32.
    PetezzaDawg and ThaKloned like this.