Instrument Appreciation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by padde73, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Do your species play the same genre as my species? (Humans)
  2. No, We play death songs.
    padde73 likes this.
  3. My personal favorite is a guitar... There are simple songs that sound great, but you can learn more complicated techniques that make an even better sound. In a lot of songs, you can play the guitar only and still have good music, no background music needed. There would be no rock n' roll without the guitar, another reason making it the best :p
    Fun Fact: Guitar (and other stringed instruments) strings are sometimes made of animal guts...
    padde73 likes this.
  4. I would if i could, but since I have a cold, the song would sound like a dying animal before the mayonnaise, don't even get me started after the mayonnaise...
    padde73 likes this.
  5. Yes. The tuba would win each and every time, for two reasons:
    1. It is by far the superior instrument.
    2. If the tuba player thought there was any chance he or she was going to lose, you might find that when accidentally dropped with a coincidentally perfect trajectory, tubas do a rather good job of crushing violins to smithereens.
    FWRonald, padde73 and ChickenDice like this.
  6. As a Tuba player... I support this ;)
    padde73, ChickenDice and Hashhog like this.
  7. However, we violins have very pointy sticks that come in handy when it comes to poking those who are nuisances. Trust me, I have used this asset many times myself. Before any tubas could be dropped on any violins and causing great loss of life, we would just stab the player in the stomach and walk away. Thus leading to the violin being saved as the tuba player bends over in pain. That night, the tuba player would suffer from a ruptured appendix. Enough said. (Sorry for any grammatical errors... I'm on an iPhone 6.)
  8. I think maybe this deserves a separate thread, just to debate which musicians would come out on top in a brawl.

And maybe they deserve some therapy. But that's for another day...
    FluffeMarshmallo likes this.
  9. Tuba players of the world, unite as won. You shall be led by Hashhog, professional tuba-ist. Along with his trust sidekick and very inexperienced tuba-ist Caden, they shall conquer the musical world. Trust me. I have a PhD in tuba. My wife is a tuba. I'm a tubaologist.

On a more serious point, I have been playing the piano and the synth (both very similar) for about eight or nine years now. I'm entering grade eight conservatory and just finishing up my first rudiments, so once I am finished with those, I can get extra high school credits for them.

I am also learning to play the tuba. I am very inexperienced at the moment, but one day, I hope to be good as the almighty tuba player Hashhog. His tuba playing inspires me on a daily basis and I shall, on one beautiful night, be as majestic and glorious as him. I will then get my tuba degree and move on to become a tubaologist.
    padde73, ChickenDice and Hashhog like this.
  10. Bump!
    Anyone else who would like to share there instrument? Or share that you don't play an instrument and why you don't play one.
  11. I play the flute :)
    padde73 likes this.
  12. Sry, I just have to get this said... Please... Watch " jake shimabukuro While my guitar gently weeps" on Youtube. (It's the very old video).
    Your opinion about what's the best instrument will change. :D

Edit: Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/puSkP3uym5k
  13. It's keyboards all the way for me ;) I do my playing on an electronic keyboard: the Casio CTK4000. Love that critter, picked it up several years ago. Polyphonic sound, 61 touch responsive keys and plenty of sound material to work with (sounds and background rhythms). It can even sample stuff :)

But I seldom use it alone; it's permanently connected to my PC where the other half of my instrument lives. Now, I got plenty of stuff to work with, but since we're talking about favorites then my pick has to go with Thor:

This thing is a beast. 6 different oscillators, 4 different audio filters, step sequencer and a routing matrix which does just about everything. And of course fully remotely controllable. I have a lot of good stuff, but this is the synth I keep coming back to. It blew my mind when I bought Reason (Digital Audio Workstation) approx. 6 years ago and it still manages to impress after all these years.
  14. I love playing the Clarinet, the soft sound of it is much better then the harsh tones of the trumpets :p,

Also Tenor sax > alto sax!!!

But i do play guitar, bass guitar, bit of drum and a bit of piano. Tubas are great as well :p unappreciated instrument just like baritone :)
    Hashhog and padde73 like this.
  15. I play the clarinet, the piano, and also the cello. I am best at cello, and I just had my sixth performance yesterday night. I went to bed at 1 in the morning, because I got home at about 12 o'clock. I am part of a junior orchestra, and, if I won't say so myself, my skills are not too shabby! I played clarinet for fun at school for awhile, until I got into the cello, and I also played the piano when I was about eight, and I still play now in my free time, between cello lessons, archery, and tennis.

The story of my cello:
    I was handed a cello when I was in fifth grade. Well, I wasn't exactly "handed" one, I got to choose between violin, viola, double base, and cello. I chose cello, because I loved the beautiful deep sound that it made, oh, such beauty. But I did not want to play the bass, because, oh, how heavy it was, to have to bring it back and forth in my driver's car, even though I only had to do this once a year. I have two cellos, one that I leave at school, and one that I leave at home. Anyway, carrying on. I had my first concert at the age of eleven, in sixth grade. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what we played, but one of the first pieces that we played was called Pachabel Canon. The glory, and I found out that, wow, my piano skills really helped me in cello! So I kept playing until now, in eighth grade, and I have loved it so much.

Story of my Clarinet:
    =========Not much to say, I don't play very well.==========
    (If anyone wants to hear it, quote my post, and I'll edit it in.)

Story of my piano:
    Here goes.
    I'm turning eight, and one day, the day after my birthday, my mom and dad have a serious talk with me, about that I have to take an instrument. They said that I could take piano if I wanted, or any other instruments, but I went with piano. I played piano for a couple years, up to about fifth grade, when I got my cello. The day before I had received the cello, I had another serious talk with them. About that for college, I need to have an instrument, but the instrument cannot be a piano. They told me that the piano was just a "practice" instrument, and that I cannot play it any longer. So that's how it pretty much ended, my piano career. I had played in many piano competitions before, and had one first place in a few. I had been part of a little group, that we called ourselves and orchestra, we had one violin, two pianos, and one cello, my friend Bryn, who was one of the ones that inspired me to take up cello. We were really happy until then, when my mom said that piano, unfortunately, was not an option. But we got EVEN HAPPIER, once I took up the cello, because we had one viola, two cellos, one violin, one piano, and two bases. How perfect.
    padde73 and kevdudeman like this.
  16. I have a lot of fun playing piano but I'd be lying if I said I know it very well at all :p

Had a lot of fun in the one year class I took sophomore year however, and it's still fun to learn simple songs and play them at home!
    padde73 likes this.
  17. Nice story! Now I just want to tell you about my story!
    Story of my Ukuleles:
    It all began with my brother, who played the guitar. He had just learned the concerning hobbits, the theme song from lord of the rings and hobbit. I thought that it was SO cool that he learned that so I wanted to play an instrument too! I wanted something special, something that's not common. It stod between the bongos or the ukulele. Then I found this video of the ukulele virtuoso "Jake Shimabukuro" who played "while my guitar gently weeps" on the ukulele, It was such a cool and gentle sound that I instantly forgot about bongos and ordered my first ukulele the day after my brother played for me (I think). Since then i've gotten two additonally ukuleles and have gone to hawaii! Which is super cool because I live in sweden so it's a LONG way there. And that is the story about my ukuleles. :)

18. Saxophone anyone?
    padde73 and ArchdukeMelon like this.
  19. You could say that you are captian Foxyphone:D
    Winner for worst joke of the day goes too...PADDE73! "Crowd cheering"
    ShelLuser and Captian_Foxy like this.
  20. *sits in a lonely corner playing a kazoo*
    PineappleGem likes this.