initial thoughts about the Rupees System.. (Important discussion imo)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PThagaard, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Problems with taking away rupees bonus for free players.
    1. Free players would stand no chance in the economy.
    2. Free players would have to beg in chat for rupees if they died and can't go back into the wild.
    3. The supporters could reap the rewards of poor players work and sell them at prices that free players couldn't afford.
    4. No one wants their rupees bonus taken away just because they are free player.
    Tikiman678, Squizzel_Boy and Sopby like this.
  2. Most supporters on other servers have the ability to spawn blocks or fly, among other neat things.
    On this server, they get priority and bonus cash instead. They still have to go gather resources. They still have to PLAY.
    Bottom line is that EMC needs to attract customers to keep the server open to all. A diamond supporter is someone who is, technically, paying for YOU to play. I think their 1300r a day is fair; they don't get a massive amount of money at one time BUT they do get some fairly nice pocket change everyday.

From what I've seen myself, the rupees generated and given to each player everyday aren't causing prices to suddenly hit the roof. Sure, prices will go up as more rupees are produced; however this method of rupee distribution has proven that it doesn't severely unbalance the market in random spurts. Its balanced for those who consistently play EMC and do something other than sit around spamming chat about random nonsense ;)
    BloodDisciple and ISMOOCH like this.
  3. money that has no real backing for its value is entirely valued based on how often its used, so. the rupees value is fairly high, i mean gold is only 8-10r in a player shop, that is soooo low compared to the /store price.
  4. I reluctantly have to agree with the original post. Just today I received a 1000 Rupee bonus! However I would not go as far as to implement prices into common tasks such as setting up shops and such. This will deter people (however minor the effect) from setting up shops, which is the thing helping right now. Haha, what do you think of taxes for the Empire?
  5. Lmao, I don't know what would be accomplished with EMC taxes xD
  6. But that makes supporters not stand out and people could just make themselves look like Admins
    And that will make the chat get really annoying just go on pvp.battlecraft.com the chat is spammed with colours and clans its really bad and sometimes it covers you hole screen with JUST the name.

I know that this wont work in the end but at first i thought the "/shop" should be %20 off or something but then that ruins the hole Survival thing :(

Id like to hear from other people what they think :)

also is there a forum just to chat with someone when your bored? if not there should be :)
  7. Taxes? Really? I am a poor player without that thousand rupee bonus, so if I have to pay taxes, I will quit EMC.
  8. The genius(me) has thought about this,And gotten some ideas :D

Here are a few things witch can make the rupees market more intresting.

1.Lottery
    Make a lottery where you can buy like tickets.For each ticket,You get a random number.Each week,A Winner is picked.
    When you win,You get some kind of prise money.
    How is this fair?
    Well,Say that 200 playes join week 1.Each pays 100 rupees(Just an example).So 20.000 has been invested.
    The winner gets like 18.000 and the rest is in for Lottery of them months...

Problems With this idea?
    A supporter kund buy like 100 tickets and win.
    Solution? Limit the max number of tickets to like 10.(High,But Not too high)

2.Players Promise
    Create some kind if Promise.Like if you break it,You have to pay alot.
    Choose a number of players who gets to be Deciders.If a player lies under the Promise,Make him pay.

Deciders players
    These are players which have satesfied theire needs with Empire minecraft(Happy with what they got).They have the ability to take rupees from one player and give it it to another player.If the deciders take money from a player,IT will be put on a transfere account where only the Decider can give away money to another player.
    The decider is watched by a mod sometimes so that he dosent make bad things.

3.Bank
    A player can loan money by typing /money loan 300
    He will then have like 30 real days to pay back with a bit more(Maybe 1%?).If not,All his incomings will be taken until he has payed back 300 to the bank.And He will not be able to loan more under the next like 10 days or something.
    A player can also Loan money to the bank by typing "/money bank pay 300".
    If hes money is being loaned to another player,Then he will get a part of the intrest.

If anybody feels that this is a bad idea,Be free to speak out.It was just some ideas.

Thestar19
  9. I don't think you have, maybe post it in the supporter forums ae?
  10. Alright, this will be a long post, but I have to get it out of my system because in my last year of playing, I have never seen such a tame and dynamic and community-based server that was so well structured, but not overly structured. The features on this server (and the minimal lag) is amazing.

However, within the first 3 days I already learned something: I could be a bum and it simply doesn't matter. My existence, or rather, my lot's existence was never in danger, and it bothered me. Let me first preface this by saying I fully agree with every single thing the OP said, but I want to take it a little further, but more structured and it would allow for so much more fun to be had on the server.

I'll start with an example: one of the people I met had a hotel on his lot, and it was pretty nice. He charged for a night or for a longer rent. They on;y problem was, no one would pay him and no one stayed there. Why, because they had a free 60x60 lot, and were paid per day. Imagine if you couldn't afford a lot and had to stay somewhere, like a hotel, and pay rent per day, or up front? This would open a new economy of housing, and you probably will be left with less half-started lots since new players wouldn't be able to just show up, screw around, and never show up again.

Here's what I propose:

1. No daily bonus for free members. Incremental bonus for supporters. First level, no lot fee and reserved spot. Second level, no lot fee on utopia, reserved spot. Highest level supporter, daily bonus, not lot fee on utopia, reserved spot.

2. Town chat should be 1-2r per line. Town chats are effectively spam, regardless of what is being said. You can talk from far with /tell and you can talk freely with local. Town chat should cost, and this would minimize the chat overload for everyone.

3. Free members pay, say 50r-100r per day for their lot, when they sign in. They get no daily bonus. This forces people to do a minimal amount of work for their lot. Now, you might say, well, what if no one wants to buy their stuff, then they are screwed. No, since the main shop creates price ceiling for selling goods, it should also create price floors for buying goods back. So if you can't find a market for your stuff, you can sell it very cheap to the main store. Obviously, things like dirt won't be accepted, but you get the idea. If you can't pay property tax or if you chose to live smaller, then you can find someone with a hotel or whatever. You negotiate a price for the day, or whatnot, and you get you little spot. The owner can give you access to a chest to put your valuables. or you can roam the streets or live in the wild, with no chest protection for your valuables, or yourself.

4. While teleportation costs are somewhat unreasonable since the area is huge and it would make shops see less business, I see it giving more power to local markets. The guy down the road might charge 1r more for wood, but that beats travelling halfway across the map. I think there should be free teleports, but teleportation limits, like say 5 blocks at a time. So you wan to go across the map, do it in 10 moves. It's free, but a pain in the ass, and you have to remember the address hops :) Also, this would reduce the effect of undercutting shops and give everyone a fair shake at setting up a shop. Plus, I would like to see the price gradient heat map for items afterward, hehe.

I have more ideas, but I think those are the main ones that will set up the other side of the money velocity equation and would help create local markets and new market segments, as well as give people a purpose for being there and deterring chat spam.

I'm not worried about hoarders, what I'm worried about is that having zero dollars means nothing, when it should to some extent. You should be able to do more with more rupees. Heck, maybe even buy 1 week of Iron supporter status for some large sum, and 1 week of Gold for a larger sum. That way, you give free hoarders or rich players a chance to taste that status, and maybe they turn into paying members. Think about it.

-Mike

Keep up the great work Empire!
  11. Ok I Like That idea but the rent should be more 20 rupees But only one thing could go wrong what if they do not go online for lets say 2 days when they come back how could they afford the rent of hotel/residence.

Also there should be a hotel tax of say 20 rupees per week (so not everyone has a Hotel)

Also Gold and above Supporters should not get charged for rent Because They pay REAL money To be on the server
    and they should get privileges (or a decreased Hotel/Residence rent) but this should not be for iron supporters (because Iron is a budget supporter rank for only $5.00-£3.46)

And non supporters should get daily sign in bonus of like 15 rupees (so if they want more they have to earn it)

Also There should be a forum on Registered Hotels so like there is a list of The Residence and up to 4 Pictures)
    *Like*

Price Per Week-30 :4373 Owner Squizzel_Boy :[pic MAIN] Link [To more pictures on imgur]

Price Per Week-50 :4372 Owner-Sovietsoldierw1l :[pic MAIN] Link [To more pictures on imgur]

and so on........

Please tell me what you think by PM me or posting it here i want to know what EVERYONE thinks.

-Squizzel_Boy
  12. how did you get 20k in 2 days!? i have been here for 2 months and i dont even have 30k!
  13. i will only say one more thing in this thread, this server is designed to be as vanilla as possible, the economy system is just a nice perk to it, i honestly see no reason to change a system that has worked perfectly since day one.
    apamment likes this.
  14. 1. The terms are left up to the landlord. If he says fine if you don't show up, fine. If he says you are kicked out if you don't come pay me each day, fine. If he says pay me in advance for 5 days at a time and you get refunded for the time you don't stay at the end, fine. Let the people decided.

2. Well, there is no farm tax, or building underground tax, or shop tax. If everyone wants to build a hotel, eveyone build a hotel. Everyone has a shop, and that's fine. Competition creates better things.

3. I said in my original post, all supporters pay no rent. Gold get utopia. Diamond get daily bonus too.

4. Actually I agree with daily sign in bonus for free members. If you have a place, then it will offset property tax, if you nothing, it will be wellfare. In that case, all members should get a daily bonus, but it must be much lower than rent.

5. People can set up their own threads for their hotels and pictures. We don't need to burden the server with more work when the forums are fine, in my opinion.

Importerer, I agree that this server is vanilla and is good for that, but there are several elements that make it non-vanila, so since they are already implemented, it would be nice if they had more meaning. Without the economy and community and shop system, this server can turn out like any other server. But I understand your point of view

-Mike
  15. What about players that are free and rely on the daily bonus? Would they just have to wander the streets or try to not get griefed in the wilderness.
    apamment likes this.
  16. I have to agree with this. I'm here to play minecraft with others, not some economic money making meta-game. I want to build things, collect materials and kill monsters, and do it with good company. Rupees are a nice added extra, they add a bit of depth, and bring some extra enjoyment for those who like that. I think all these taxes, rentals, and other ideas, to give rupees more "value" is giving rupees far to much emphasis, and making this into a game that isn't minecraft.
  17. Your right apamment,you want it this way,But if you have played Minecraft from the beginning,Collecting Wood and mining stone and so on,The fun slowly goes away.One of the things that makes me stay to Minecraft and not play like BF3 is the rupees system.I like to deal with money and like sell and buy.Of course are we playing Minecraft,But Whats wrong with opening up the possebility to handle money?
    IF we added more rupees stuff,How would it affect your Mining?I dont think that it would,But it would add more players that like to handle money....

It doesnt always have to be one or the other.Try both ways....

Thestar19
  18. I agree with you, I wasn't saying rupees should be taken out, just that there should needs to be balance and compromise, and I think the current system is that compromise. Taking peoples residences away, making them have to rent, making free players have no rupees and so on, i think is not balanced, and not a fair compromise. This entire thread is about concern that the rupees will devalue if people are able to buy them for real money. There are arguments for this and against this. I agree it has the potential to change EMC, and this change could be good or bad - but I think the only way we're going to know that is if we try it and see what happens. I think the current system will hold up, if it doesn't and the change is for the worse, then we'll need to come up with ideas and compromises that will benefit EMC as a whole.
  19. I also don't want to have to pay recidense and so on.I just want some more ways to work with rupees like lottery and that kind of stuff.I dont want to destory the survival aspect of the game,I want to add new stuff like Loan money or that stuff couse I belive that it will enhance the game play and the survival aspect even more.
    We all want most money,Right,So evrybody are going to work to earn more money by Mining and so on...

Some would call it destruction,I call it creation...
    Thestar19
  20. Yes, my post was more directed at taking things away to give rupees more value rather than adding things. Lotteries and things I'm sure people would find fun, and I see no problem with. I guess I didn't write my post very well, we seem to be arguing when we are both of the same opinion lol.