Industrial Decay

Discussion in 'Shutter Talk' started by CDJS, Jun 5, 2015.

1. So I was digging through some old photos and I came across these. These were taken (I believe) in '07 with a junky digital camera. It was an old gypsum mill which was torn down while I was living out of state, which stinks because I'd love to go back with a better camera. Due to the inappropriate nature of most of the graffiti art, a good portion of the project can't be posted here, but I'd still like to share the ones I can.

^ (Even though the quality is bad, this is one of my all-time favorite pictures) ^

I should probably add:

Do not venture into abandoned buildings! It is incredibly *not smart* to do so.

Structures can be unsafe and there is the real and serious danger of falling through a floor or having something fall on you from above.

These places are also full of sharp, rusty, broken junk that you want nothing to do with....

Ok, now I feel better :p
  2. Come one, come all!

Grab your bow and test your aim in EMC’s newest giveaway game:
    *Prize Pop*
    ~The more you shoot, the more you loot!~

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Event Details

Our first event* will be held Friday, October 20th at 6PM EMC time.
    /v +pop on Utopia to join us!

Players are encouraged to bring an infinity bow and arrow.
    Bows and arrows will be available for sale to those who need them.

*This event will be a test-run to gauge player experience and see how future games will run.
    A small survey will be available after the event, and feedback is greatly appreciated.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How to play:
    Players use bows and arrows to shoot the prize-filled itemframe targets on the prize board.
    Any prizes the player shoots down will automatically collect in the player’s inventory.
    When the round begins, players take aim and collect as many prizes as they can.
    Players continue shooting for 10 minutes, or until all prizes have been claimed.

Rules:
    Bows and Arrows only, all other projectiles (snowballs, eggs, etc.) are expressly prohibited.
    Using prohibited items will result in game-play interruption and black-list from future events.

Prizes:
    This week’s prizes include precious gems, promos and an iron supporter voucher.

Donations welcome:
    A generous prize fund has been established for future Prize Pop events.
    All donations are welcome and should be mailed or paid to the account PrizePop.
    Donor’s names will be added to the Hall of Sponsors and the list below.
    If you would like to donate on behalf of another player, group, business or outpost,
    please leave a note via mail or rupee message.

Sponsor List
    The following players have made considerable donations to the PrizePop Prize Fund.
    We Thank You!

N0TSURE
    Qkazooo
    The_Boulder

Phelps4, Drmadfate, 607 and 3 others like this.
  3. I like your photo's and now I'm also wondering: do you have any plans to try and rebuild this structure within Minecraft? Or any others?
    607 and cdjs1987 like this.
  4. cool, you do urban wandering?
    cdjs1987 likes this.
  5. Thanks Shell, I hadn't thought about building this one ( I honestly haven't even thought about this building in years until I found my pics.) I do like the whole nature-reclaiming-ruins theme though, and may end up doing a res like that someday.

I honestly had to google that, so I'm going to guess... no, maybe?
    Unless that means going where you're not supposed to be to take pictures of your beautiful(ly) decaying and crumbling city... In which case, yes, yes I do. :p
  6. I really love the fourth picture, I thought it was a puddle of water before I noticed that is was actually a hole (eek!) in the floor! I wish I had picked up photography earlier, as I've seen some beautiful decay in San Francisco (probably torn down by now). :(
    cdjs1987 likes this.
  7. Very nice! This is one of those places that I see and think "I could use that in a custom level in some game", it looks really good.
    Kyzoy and cdjs1987 like this.
  8. The graffiti on the last pic reminds me of Ratman :p
    cdjs1987 likes this.
  9. The second floor of the building (where all the plants are) was extremely sketchy to walk around. The floor was incredibly brittle and you could hear bits breaking and cracking when you walked on it (The memory of which made me add my second post.) I wanted that picture closer to the edge so you could see all the broken wiring and rebar coming out of the floor, but that was as close as I would go :p

In many ways it was a real-life first-person-shooter map. In some of the photos, you may be able to tell, you can see that the place was used as an (unofficial) paintball arena. :D
    Kyzoy and 607 like this.
  10. If only you had a selfie stick; you'd be able to get pictures of those hard-to-reach places!
    607, cdjs1987 and SoulPunisher like this.
  11. In Liverpool, you don't even need to go into abandoned buildings to have a danger of falling through a floor or have something fall of you from above. Just venture into the nearest inhabited council house... :rolleyes:

As for the 'sharp, rusty, broken junk': just walk on the path and you'll soon find stuff like that :p

Anyway...

Nice pictures. ^____________________________________^
    607 and cdjs1987 like this.