How does one be a good person?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 72Volt, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Gap542 likes this.
  2. Well first of all, they don't create lava walls.
  3. My definition of a good person is somebody who is friendly, doesn't get on my nerves, and has done something really good for me or somebody else. The example of a good person in my mind is my best friend. She is friendly, doesn't get on my nerves, and has helped me with alot of things and supported me all the time.

My definition of a bad person is somebody who doesn't like me, gets on everyone's nerves and isn't very nice at all. The example of this is all of the boys from my primary school.
  4. Soz for double posting but does that mean (in your eyes) there is only one good person?

My definition of good can only be described at the number of people who are at your funeral. To me, I will only know in the afterlife.
  5. The number of people at your funeral is dependent on how popular/rich/inspiring you were.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  6. Nup. There's only one good person in my life, but there's plenty more in the world.
  7. So... anyone who doesn't know you, and therefore doesn't show up at your funeral, is automatically not a good person? Or is your definition lacking something, perhaps? ;)
  8. I don't see this ending well, how about we just say "to each their own" and call it a day?
  9. Just quoting he boyscout slogan: do a good turn daily.

Whether you hold the door open for someone, take out the trash when it looks full, leave the rental car with a full tank, or just thank someone for them doing a good turn, you yourself are hitting that point. I tr to follow that to the best of my ability. There is no way to overdose on helping.
  10. I lean towards this worldview. Whether you call it karma, the golden rule, or reaping what you sow, the idea remains the same. It's important to remember that we're all stuck on this big rock together, and to act accordingly. I believe that all makes us connected in some small way - we're all made from the same bits of mud and muck as the next guy. That said - I think what makes a truly good person is being gentle and true to your own self. It's being selfish enough to want to do what you believe to be right and true despite your own or anyone else's feelings. At the end, all you've got is your own sense of self worth, after all. Try to ascribe to whatever ideals you hold in the highest regard and then attempt to act accordingly.
  11. I meant to add in, people who actually cared about you in yor life time, or something else. Add on if you wish.
  12. I don't think you can "be" something all the time. You can act like this or like that, but people are never the same.

We all are under the influence of our circumstances, and our circumstances change all the time. You can be very good towards one person and very bad towards another one. You can be very good all your life, then kill someone because of rage, and does that make you bad? Or you can be an awful person and send thousands to death but then be the sweetest lover to your partner, and does that make you good?

You can behave nicely. You can choose. There's some people who can because of genetic, psycological reasons, which don't allow them to choose. But most of us can choose. And our elections don't last forever so we cannot be good or bad forever.

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense xD I seem to be having problems with my English today.
    HylianNinja likes this.