How do you fight a Marlix or a Momentus?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IceQueenDawn, Jun 12, 2018.

?

Is this a Usefull thread?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2018.
Yes 7 vote(s) 58.3%
No 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Give me Cookies 5 vote(s) 41.7%
  1. Hello all
    i was having a chat with Digition and we felt it would be right to ask you players how you fight our bosses.

what do you do? what gear do you use, what level do you usually go for?

i know my self i usually run in the other direction, and that is not a useful nor helpful reply :D

so i want to know from you fighters, what keeps you alive through a fight with them?

the higher the level the better the information

Best regards
    IceQueen Dawn
  2. Well before they changed the reward system, I used to just run in with Voters Gear because it’s soul bound (still do that sometimes). I bring lots of potions, op gear, and pray I don’t die super fast :p
    IceQueenDawn and Gawadrolt like this.
  3. Self preservation can be very useful in my opinion. :D
    586, IceQueenDawn and Gawadrolt like this.
  4. Momo used to be as easy as dropping a water bucket on the ground, popping a strength potion then beating him to death. Marlix is evil I have killed a few but its just annoying, its not fun at all to me.

Now I bring gapples to fight momos since the water thing doesn't work. lots of food, OP gear and strength pots.

Always put a bed down somewhere nearby before you attack a miniboss so if you die you aren't far from your gear.
    IceQueenDawn likes this.
  5. I haven't fought a boss in well over a year, but most the time I would just bring a Momentus into a body of water and deal with it that way with just regular diamond stuff. I don't fight Marlix at all because it's just annoying, time consuming, unfun, and most of the time not even worth it.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  6. that is defenetly my option! i am no fighter XD
  7. wait really?? a water bucket???
  8. It heavily depends. I usually ignore Marlix alltogether because I just don't enjoy the fight. BUT... In all honesty this dates back to a time where we had no bossbars and one of my biggest complaint has always been not knowing what kind of progress you made (if any). Maybe I should re-try this one.

Still, I've always considered it annoying that you had to switch between ranged and melee attacks all the time.

Anyway, for Marlix I have no real strategy.

Momo is different, I actually enjoy the fight very much. True story: Aya & me once fought a Momo together with nothing but iron gear, and it was FUN.

I'm a die hard voters gear user so... For me it always boils down to putting down my shulker somewhere, putting in any droppable items and placing & using a bed. Then I basically fight and die a lot. Sometimes just charging in blindly but (and this is what makes it fun for me!) sometimes you actually have to be careful because of the guardians which surround Momo. And although voters armor is pretty good I think (IMO it's heavily underappreciated) it does not provide the best protection against rabied zombies :D So then it's time to use some strategy, and I really enjoy that.

When it comes to the actual fight then I never take any precautions because for me the fun sits both in the fight as well as any possible rewards. Seriously: these days I usually care more about the fight than the rewards.

Nice thread! It reminds me that I really should give the Marlix fight a new chance.
  9. /quote
    I'm a die hard voters gear user so... For me it always boils down to putting down my shulker somewhere, putting in any droppable items and placing & using a bed. Then I basically fight and die a lot. Sometimes just charging in blindly but (and this is what makes it fun for me!) sometimes you actually have to be careful because of the guardians which surround Momo. And although voters armor is pretty good I think (IMO it's heavily underappreciated) it does not provide the best protection against rabied zombies :D So then it's time to use some strategy, and I really enjoy that. /quote

That's about how I fight a Momentus! I just place a bed at its feet and keep dying until it dies. (Using Voters Gear) I usually play at difficulty 6.

Marlixs are a little harder, so I don't fight them as often. However, when I do I usually fight them in a group of 3 and use my OP gear. You have one or two people focusing on the marlix itself and another person (or two) righting its little minions. Fighting bosses are a great bonding experience
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  10. Okay, but are there any people who have taken down one of them on difficulty 10 (torment)?
  11. Usually trap a momentous and make a whole with water flowing for the zombies to fall in and I just smack him to death with a smite V sword

Marlin I make a 7x7 cube with one side sand on the roof and once he flys in I break the dirt under the sand so the sand falls and traps him and I use water to flush the skeletons into a whole like the zombies

EDIT: I do diff 8 or 7 10 if I have a friend with me
  12. Warning at diff 10 if you die they regain a lot of health so I recommend like one god app and 5 normal
  13. yes
    takes more than one gapple, you also need multiple sets of THORNLESS god gear in your hotbar and i recommend using the mod that gives you a HUD of your armors durability, cause once your chestplate breaks a Gapple wont save you from those enraged.
    Ive beat 2 level 10's and the key to me has always been setting. if you fight in a forest you are gonna have lots of trees in the way and the fight is so long that creepers will spawn and kill you.

i tend to try and get momo on a flat surface and to light up the area around him, i also put my bed like right on him because if i happen to die i can grab my stuff and equip it in the short time before the temp invulnerability runs out from respawning.

i also make a 2 high wayy a good little distance around him to prevent other mobs from walking up and interrupting me.

water buckets are also good to use for 2 reasons, 1. gets everything away from you and as long as you dont attack your rewards dont go down. 2. puts you out if you are on fire and your gapple ran out of time. just be sore you arent hitting anything when you use them, and collect the water stream quick before you get sucked in.

everything else is just skill and timing
  14. Thank you very much, bitemenow15! I might actually make a dedicated redstone arena based on those recommendations, with beacons, retractable lights, watering systems etc.
    Also, when is a difficulty for a boss is set: when it spawns or when you first enrage it?
  15. i believe that begins the moment it is struck, thats the way it used to work

also:
    i need to explain this a little more, rewards get reduced if momo is unable to reach you so if he sucks you in while there is water still there you cannot hit him, its a real pain because you get caught in a loop of trying to get your water source back before he sucks you in, i usually just do a quick tap of the water then bring it back and chug my potion/apple
  16. For me, I love fighting Marlix, last night's Marlix on Jack's stream well...

We can just say we shook hands... but when it kicks off between Marlix and me... it kicks off, lol. Last night on Jack's stream when I was trying to stay with Marlix, you don't know how much I was trying to resist from killing him until Jack arrived...

My strategy involves using Strength, Fire Resistance, and Speed potions, I also use Night Vision when it gets dark (I know a Dark Angel using Night Vision doesn't seem right... or is it?) Plus keeping my food bar full helps. Don't stand in one place when fighting Marlix, keep moving around, a moving target is harder to hit! When Marlix hits you, you don't get affected by the fire because of the resistance potion. Speed helps you stay with Marlix and move fast, and of course, strength makes your shots count even more! Using regeneration potions and golden apples when needed also helps.

When Marlix gets close to you it doesn't hurt (or does it) to pull out your sword and take a few swings. Bows do more damage but if you repeatedly land nice blows with your sword, it does just as much damage. Spamming your bow when Marlix gets close doesn't really do much as you're not charging your bow up enough to do a decent amount of damage, plus you're using up your bow's durability faster.

I play on difficulty 6 so minibosses don't automatically attack when you get close.

The rewards? Marlix likes surrendering his gear after the fight or perhaps he likes dropping a vault voucher or two. He often drops 1 vault voucher, but I have had instances while on difficulty 6 where he dropped 2.
  17. Hmm, those seem like pretty good strategies. I might also recommend having food in the main hand while having a bow in your off-hand - it's basically impossible to die this way provided you have the best armor possible and quite a lot of durability on it.
  18. i havent ever won a fight with a lvl 10 marlix without getting dying atleast once (cause man she spams those skelly spawns fast) but i have a really good and cheap strategy sort of similar to the one in the momentus post above.

if you want to win the first thing you are going to need is alotttt of patience. She has a tendency when she gets low to try and run away for some reason, i dont know if thats intentional but she is harder to hit when doing this. try to start the fight on a flat, tree-less biome because her summons spawn on you, not her and they like to use trees. only shoot where you think she is going to be, you are going to have to time your shots really well because you also need to account for her minions shooting you 20+blocks.

my typical loadout is as follows
    • MANDATORY: 2 full sets of god armor with PROJECTILE protection maxxed as well as a spare helmet and boots
    • A voters bow at the very least but i prefer to bring two bows, one for minions and one for marlix herself, the one for minions has punch on it which is the only difference between the two, you dont want to punch marlix away. Also save your xp and skip flame, they both are on fire so its pointless. or you could just bring 1 bow without punch and save a hotbar slot (maybe for a totem of the undying?).
    • 5 Water buckets, yes exactly 5, yes they will be in your hotbar, just trust me ill explain this in detail. the only caveat here would be if you like using haunted candy, but i find it makes it hard to eat Gapples so i avoid it
    • 8 Notch/Enchanted/God apples, exactly 8, any more and you have spent much more than is possible to typically get back from level 10 drops and you should just end the fight imo.
    • a stack of golden apples or however many you can muster

Not as mandatory but still important:
    • A bed close by (duh)
    • An endchest
    • a stack of dirt to build a temporary cover
    • maybe a sword if you dont dual bow with maxxed smite on it. (im pretty quick with my max draws but if you havent mastered this then probably best to single bow and smite sword)
    • some torches so random mobs dont spawn too much even though they will be drug from the depths of hell to your face on diff 10.

now, heres my strat
      set up a small shelter while on diff 1, with a raised bed and slabs all inside, try and guess the general direction marlix is moving in and set it up as near as you can in that direction. LIGHT THE AREA UP IMMEDIATELY SURROUNDING IT <----this is no joke mob spawns are turned up they will spawn next to your shelter and blow you up.
      engage marlix on 10 at the beginning of the day, i even try to stay logged out and just watch livemap until i know the sun is affecting mobs. eat a gapple right before you do this. the fight will probably be multiple days but if you start then you have the best chance of avoiding mobs immediately teleporting to you and smacking you.
      pay close attention to where the minions are and time your shots in the following order solely focusing on marlix unless they get in the way. you are going to switch back and forth between your bow and dropping a water source down in the space you are then picking it up, you must be quick about this. the entire fight you must be like bruce lee says, be like water. and what i mean by this is let their arrows move you around and remain focused on the target. you shouldnt be moving unless you are healing up or changing your armors.
      the purpose of the water sources is that A. you sometimes will be teleported to marlix and dropped 30+ blocks, you can avoid fall damage with the water buckets. B. it will put you out from being on fire, which obstructs your vision if you dont have particles turned off and also hurts if you run out of fire res. C. and this is the most important one. it has a slight chance of keeping you in the same block you were just in if you get hit by their punch 5 bows, meaning you can line up another shot quickly. but it is also important that you are quick with this water source, because if you get tp'ed away you just wasted it unless you run back over to it and pick it up.
      ive found that 5 is the optimal number here, any more get in the way and any less and you might desperately need one and wish you brought splash fire res instead.
      repeat this over and over, it gets repetitive but you also get better at the timing until eventually she dies and you can then clean up the 10+ minions swarming around you.
      im not a patient person and get bored and log alot so ive never done it all the way, but i know this method works