Haskell and other programming languages

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 1998golfer, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Look around the machining industry, and you will see much that still utilizes fortran.

If you are designing 'cost effective' items, part of the designing process will involve a minimization of parts, limiting you to what hardware you can use... and in turn limiting your available code options.

If you wish to make something cheap and cheerful, and mass produce something, most will turn to budget items. This poses a limitation on hardware, processing power, etc... Meaning, no matter how fancy the latest language is, it would never be feasible on the 'mass producible budget hardware'.

While some may see them as obsolete, there is a reason why it is still in use, and going strong :).

Now, I am not a programmer, but I have friends who earn their money this way.
    Google around a bit to see where it is still in use :p.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. I know this skill, and was tought it.

It's very simple.
    highlancer54 likes this.
  3. Hm... Haskell... nope, I don't think I've ever heard of that.
    I may look into it a bit myself, though.
    highlancer54 likes this.
  4. I would recommend both Java/Javascript and C++ as was previously mentioned. Another thing to consider, is what particular job/job field you're looking for work in. Certain companies use specific systems based on specific programming languages.
    highlancer54 and 607 like this.
  5. Good idea, should I use github to mainly accomplish this? Or make a portfolio website? Or a combination of the two?

I love linux, use it on a daily basis.. I compete in securing linux and windows operating systems, so I'm pretty good there.

Indeed, I know I need to learn Java and Javascript. I just don't particularly like Java, so I've been putting off learning it deeply (I did some "basic" java programming last summer).

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for work in.
    I'd be particularly happy writing code for a living, whether that is backend web development with PHP/python/MySQL, or writing code for consumer software programs, using python would be preferable but as long as I know/will know the language, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Personally, I can learn the syntax and usage and functions of a new language fairly quickly once I start out, especially if I had the time to concentrate on it. (A bit difficult since school recently started - college has thrown a ton of homework at me, with both Calc 2 and calc-based physics causing most of it.)

Thank you all for your input!
  6. github would be good since that's an industry standard tool. you could use that to publish to a website as well.
  7. Quite funny how you say Ruby isn't a programming language, but list HTML & CSS as programming languages.
  8. Don't think I called HTML or CSS programming languages.. I said I knew them, but I don't see where I called them programming languages.
  9. You said in the OP;
    "I currently know python, html/css, and PHP fluently**, but I was looking into other languages I could learn", implying that HTML and CSS are programming languages.
  10. Eh, fine. Either way, why does it matter? I know it isn't, why is it worth it to point something like that out?
    607 likes this.