Halloween QoL changes

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by jewel_king, Oct 26, 2021.

1. hoping there is some type of twist on this year’s htown :/ has been getting old having same thing each year

edit: meaning the trading system of haunted candy… all of the htowns have been awesome
    AncientTower likes this.
  2. Out of curiosity, what kind of twists did you have in mind?

3. There is something to be said for traditions.
    The fact that these events have become "old hat" for you as an older player, but are still looked forward to being experienced by us 'younger' server players is not something that can be completely remedied. These events aren't our traditions yet.
  4. The first year we had this I got the highest and did recieve a reward. I think it was just coins though.
    FadedMartian and chickeneer like this.
  5. no offense, but you just celebrated your third year on EMC.. not sure what is considered a “younger” player or how many times one has to do the same “tradition” before it gets old, however, i do think some sort of change up as jewel’s suggestions offered would revive the spirit for a lot of us
  6. Heh, old
    wafflecoffee and FadedMartian like this.
  7. And candy trading is celebrated every other year. Math says I hadn't had that many to make it seem old to me yet. Just becoming a tradition at this point. With something to compare this one to versus the one last year.
  8. Candy trading usually happens every year, but we missed 2019. :( (Anaetiem was cool, though!)
    FadedMartian and KatydidBuild like this.
  9. Yes it was very cool. The Dragons and the double build!!
    And oh ... hmmm... I figured it was a pattern to the trade Towns.
    MoreMoople likes this.
  10. My confusion is where does this event take place? I've tried the /Halloween command and it takes me to the Games server, but no directions after that. Where do you get the candy? Where do you get the disguises? It looks like I'm missing out on this event because I don't know anything about it, even after reading the posts and the wiki.
  11. Reward idea: Special crafting table, similar to the labor crafting tables, except it's a pumpkin. Completely identical in every way except the block is a pumpkin instead of a crafting table. Would be kinda cool as a collectable
  12. I have not been online yet to see it and I hope that you have gotten this figured out. This is a really good question to ask in chat - someone might be willing to meet you and walk you through it.
  13. /htown on any SMP, but SMP1 seems to be most popular right now.
    Once someone gives you a candy, you can throw it back to them to give yourself a candy. For every candy thrown, another is created.
    /d and then autocomplete is your friend :)
  14. I wish that the wiki is updated to include that info.
  15. Going off this idea in trying to get non-AFK trading.
    This may not be possible at all, but just a thought. Could it be set that players marked "away" cant be traded with? It was mentioned to me that this could cause players to use alternative ways to not be marked as "away", but they would have to deal with the consequences of their actions if thats what they choose. Maybe this would deter players from standing there afk in hopes to raise their scores some.
    farmerguyson and jewel_king like this.
  16. The actual event threads contain current information.
    The wiki has the historical information, usually sometime after the event ends.

As always chatting in the game or asking questions on the event thread itself is the best source of immediate answers.
  17. Afk trading served 2 functions. Players that need trades can get them. And that means there is someone else around so it isn't lonely and barren. What is the real difference in asking "hey I need to trade candy, I'm at 21 trades" and showing up to HTown and finding 4 players there at the ready. Not all the players waiting there have a high score, you could check with /hscore if you needed to I guess. I didn't manage to make it online the first day and a lot of others didn't either.
    The system will afk kick when it needs to, there is no way around that on HTown. I have been afking there while doing other computer work and if I hear a ping from a pm asking for a return candy. It all works out.
    tamraaa and DrasLeona247 like this.
  18. I do have an old suggestion that I am gonna bring up again.

Put out the teaser ahead of the event. I know we all want to know "when" it will happen but at least we know it's coming. In a previous year, MineCon was forgotten about and passed without mention or a promo. The answer from Krysyy at the time was "things got busy, we forgot it"
    When the forums hit 600k members, players held their breath for a mention or if there might be a promo release. We got no announcement, just a lot of chat activity and betting for bragging rights on who called it right. The yes'ers or the no'ers.

It doesn't have to be a thread where we can respond. Just a placeholder so that we know it's coming when the last of the bugs and cobwebs have been swept clear -- that is until the first dozen players manage to find a new one 😉

This year there were a lot of questions about a Halloween event and we answered yes, but they will tell us later. So just a little heads up would actually boost morale a bit.
    DrasLeona247, Fred_TWK and Burki like this.
  19. I agree with Katy afk hurts no one and helps other players get their score. I've been afk their at night to help player's in diff time zones also and yes it helps me get candy in which i collect for fighting mobs. I did not get almost 600 points for "Bragging rights" for highest score or the 500 extra ruppees xD i want that candy lol The problem here is not afk trading for if those afk players weren't their id be hearing akon in the back singing "Lonely" and no candy would be exchanged. I've also been bringing my alts their for other players to trade with to help get them their promos.:) Edit: and my suggestion is maybe incorporate a small game or parkour coarse in the exchange maybe it'll keep some people from getting bored of hitting mobs. Its something to do while you wait for new people. Idk if it'll help just a suggestion.
    tamraaa likes this.