[Guide] Tips for securing a Wasteland base

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by ShelLuser, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Hi gang!

Introduction

As you might know EMC doesn't use the kind of land claiming which you can sometimes find on other servers ("Those we do not speak off" :D ), instead we can claim blocks when we're outside town. In the Frontier this is relatively simple: before you start building just use the /buildmode command and from that point on you're safe with everything you place. So from dirt and torches to diamond blocks; the only players who will be able to break those are your friends (see the /fr command) and no one else.

But what about the wastelands?

Well... the short version is simple: there are several so called "special blocks" which are automatically protected when you place them, see this link for a full list. So: be sure to use one of those blocks and you will be just fine. And that concludes the tutorial! :D

Ok, ok, maybe not ;) I want to share a little bit more than that.

Tips for securing buildings in the waste

#1 The waste eventually resets: don't leave behind what you're not willing to lose!

When you enter the wastelands (use the /waste command) then you'll get 2 kinds of warnings. The first, and most important, is that despite the fact that this is where you can get materials you should always respect player buildings. No griefing allowed on the Empire, not even in the wastelands.

The second is that you should not build in the wastelands because it can reset at any given time.

So always keep in mind that you could lose whatever you leave behind. Normally EMC staff will warn us well ahead of schedule, but don't fully depend on this.

#2 Always remember that the wastelands is for mining.

When you're going to build something, especially closer to spawn, always try to keep in mind that some players will only be interested in digging up goodies. So try not to make things too difficult for them.

For example: I've build tons of tunnels leading to tons of places. Usually mining bases, end portals (/ strongholds), grinders and so on. Good news for someone who wants to go to such a place, but what about players who just want to mine? It is for that reason why I only use protected blocks (usually stone bricks) on the floor but never on the walls (small exceptions would be dangerous areas such as ravines or lava pools).

Think about it: who are we to deny another player from trying to dig up some iron, coal, gold or other goodies somewhere? This is first and foremost about mining after all... So if you have a path which you want to protect then consider just using a protected floor and leave the rest as-is. It'll be fine! And you may even make some players happy too because they'll be able to find a nice (and safe!) spot to start mining!

#3 When you need something protected then also think about the floor!

I trust you know Scrooge McDuck? Over here in Holland he's called "Dagobert Duck" but his love (and greed) for his infamous wealth is the same. So there's one comic from my youth which I really enjoyed a lot. He had build a new massive money storage facility with the most modern security measures. From cameras, detection portals to systems to remove the "bad guys". A pretty dark and gloomy space, but just the way he liked it. No one would be able to get into this impenetrable fortress with his permission, right?

Well... there was just 1 "small" problem. Although the walls were made from heavy concrete which was several feet thick McDuck figured that he'd save a lot of money by not securing the floor of the building :D

And you can probably guess what happened next: the Beagle Boys ("zware jongens" in Dutch) started digging a hole not too far away from the compound, and it became quickly obvious what they intended to do :)

So yeah... if you want to build a secure room then always make sure that you include the floor, walls and of course the ceiling:

I discovered an open area under my skeleton grinder in /waste s (SMP2) ;)

#4 Don't be too hasty with accusing players of griefing!

This topic is related to #2 but important enough to specifically mention. Seriously: always keep in mind that players come to the wastelands first and foremost to mine for items. This can easily include new(er) players who could have made an honest mistake.

And if you made some good preparations then you should have nothing to worry about anyway.

For example... I have to admit that I was a little surprised at first to discover that some parts of the area around the SMP2 skeleton grinder had been dug out. Now, I don't mind either way because the spawner is locked, the room around the spawner is made from protected blocks and most of all: eventually the wastelands are going to reset anyway. I wouldn't like it if someone were to try and break things, but I also wouldn't get upset over it.

And sometimes there can actually be a very good explanation:

This is on top of the skeleton grinder

It might be a little bit hard to see but the hole there leads into a huge lake. And as you can see most of the blocks here (stone and dirt) are obviously not protected, only the floor. My theory? Simple: a player dug out some dirt (maybe because of a light source?) and discovered this small open space. Maybe even noticing the protected floor. Then they got curious (I think) and dug out a staircase down which led them into the main cave.

And from there they proceeded to the bottom of the grinder and eventually discovered the main room.

I think it's kinda cool to be honest :) It's a clear sign that this area gets used from time to time! :cool:

#5 Why not use stuff from the waste to protect stuff in the waste?

Over the years I've build quite a few things in the wastelands and the one thing I enjoy most is to use the materials I find in the waste for that. That skeleton grinder above? Most of the material you see there was mined in the waste. Digging up stone to get cobble, make a furnace, find some coal and soon you have a good way to smelt cobble back into stone.

Stone by itself isn't protected, but if you craft stone bricks you'll be all set (4 stone in your personal crafting grid will create 4 stone bricks)!

And those stone variants? Also easy: andesite, diorite and granite are not automatically protected when you place them. But if you craft their polished variants (use 4 blocks in your personal crafting grid) then you'll have something which is automatically protected.

I always find this a much more enjoyable way of building because it gives you something extra to do. And who knows: while searching for a specific stone variant you may just be lucky enough to run into other items, like iron or gold or maybe redstone.

So which blocks will be automatically protected?

Although there is a full list you don't actually need that because the reasoning behind all this is really very simple: any block which generates in the world on its own will not be protected.

So: stone, the stone variants, dirt, grass, clay, terracotta ("hardened clay") won't be automatically protected. And also blocks found in more obscure places such as: prismarine, sea lanterns, netherbrick and even endstone.

But the moment when you have to craft a certain block then you can be decently sure that it will be automatically protected once you placed it. That is: as long as it doesn't naturally appear in the world somewhere.

You have to craft polished andesite and so it is an automatically protected block. End stone bricks? Same thing. As well as regular brick blocks. But although you'd also have to 'craft' stone (by smelting cobblestone) it already appears in the world everywhere, so it won't be automatically protected.

When in doubt you can always check the full list, or otherwise ask one of your friends to break a block for you. If it is protected then they will either not be able to break it, or you will get a warning that they are allowed to break it because you befriended them (see the /fr command).

And before I forget: be careful with chests!

Although chests are automatically protected after you place them, they will not be automatically locked. So although no one will be able to remove the chest, players will still be able to open them.

If that's not what you intended then either place a lock sign, or simply place a protected block on top of the chest. Now only players who can remove that block would be able to open the chest. Easy ;)

And now a word from our sponsors ( :eek: ) :D

This guide was heavily inspired by several players who were nice enough to leave a copy of their head in the SMP2 head grinder (/waste w on SMP2). I don't know who you are (I don't recognize the heads, sorry!) but I found it a really nice gesture and so I figured... well, why not share a quick mini guide for change. It's been a while anyway ;)

And there you have it!

Hope this can still be helpful for some of you.
    Pokku8, jeniusplay and kamirosee like this.
  2. Nice thread! I can see you like to stay in one spot and mine the ore out of it. XD!!

I’m not nearly as fancy. I don’t set up a base of operations. I just place an ender chest and mine the spot.
    ShelLuser likes this.