Good luck to everyone doing their GCSE's

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ShrinkingMatt, May 11, 2015.

1. Definitely. Quote the hell out of the text, and point out the most obvious stuff you can think of, especially for the first few questions. At least for question 1, IIRC, you can get full marks for literally saying stuff like "the text says that potatoes are a vegetable that are grown in the ground. From this, we can infer that potatoes are a food." a few times.
    AnonReturns, FDNY21 and nfell2009 like this.
  2. ^ This. Get rid of your ULN and UCI too. :)
  3. Thank you :p Sorry, I forgot all about that
  4. As someone studying GCSE Geography, this is amazing.

5. I had 27 or something. Only way you could get 9 over here is with BTECs.
  6. So are GCSEs graduation tests or advanced placement tests? I have always been confused by this aha.
  7. This is how I feel right now! I've got my A2's and some AS resits (I didn't do well last year) :p
  8. Urm. Well. GCSE's are what you do when you leave high school, and you get a certificate for. The year after (if you choose to do 6th form), you do AS Levels, and then the year after that, A Levels.

I dunno if we have placement tests over here.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  9. God i am not looking forward to the following weeks. I wish you the best of luck! What subjects do you take?
  10. Tell me about it! Good luck to you too :) Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. Psychology is my "easy" one.
    Deadmaster98 likes this.
  11. Some university courses require entry tests, I guess they must be like placement tests? :p Like you need to do the UKCAT to study medicine.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  12. Shout out to the people doing a levels.
    Got my first exam tomorrow. Sociology.
    Honestly, I'd advise against a levels unless you really want to do them and you like your school. I kind of wish I went to college to do an IT course.
    nfell2009, Deadmaster98 and FDNY21 like this.
  13. I should have explained more. advanced placement tests (AP tests) can give you transfer credit for college/university class. ie, AP Calculus AB gets you out of Calculus I.

Since the number of tests seems to vary person to person, I figured some may be for college/university credit and some may be mandatory.:p

14. Since we're on topic, what is the difference between a college and a university in america? They seem to me to be the same thing. Over here they are vastly different.
  15. I don't envy being a younger person these days, they've made this stuff sound so complicated. I never had to do any crazy tests like this when I was younger... we just had the SATs and they weren't that hard.
  16. they are the same thing in the U.S., interchangeable words although different schools may use a specific word. Sometimes a University is made up of multiple colleges (also called schools).
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  17. You use UCAS points to get into University, and sometimes there'll be restrictions like "must have at least BBB, and taken Maths". You can get UCAS points from AS Levels, A Levels and various other stuff (theres some really random ways to get them). GCSE's get you no points, just give you access to A Levels - although they do actually count long-term sort of.
    jkjkjk182 and Deadmaster98 like this.
  18. Generally, like what wkramer said, a university is defined here as a collection of colleges.
  19. this has really made my day xD i have 16 exams most are two hours long :3 and i saw this ;) good luck to you all and i hope you get amazing results!! :D