|Giveaway/AMA| Exam Prep and 15th Birthday

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by 29672057602, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Do you like and I mean really like exams?

Yes 3 vote(s) 21.4%
Yes 11 vote(s) 78.6%
  1. Waiting to the last minute is me xd but I’ll try, thanks
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. Hm, fresh Rosemary is supposed to help with memory retention. So while you’re studying, stick some fresh rosemary on your shirt or next to you and you might find yourself remembering a lot more information.

Another tip that I tend to use frequently is writing simple dot points on the information in your own words and associate it with something so crazy that you can’t forget it, or make a weird example or comparison that’s again in your own words, the first thing that you think of. For example, I remember that Niels Bohr, a Danish physicist, put forth the Bohr model in 1913 because you know... hybrid eel pigs with wings that were created in a secret Danish Government laboratory the year before WWI. Another thing is to make sure you physically write it all down and not on a computer, you tend to focus more on what you’re writing when on paper rather than on the computer. The key here is memory retention.

Also, one more tip, while you’re studying make sure your only focus is on what you’re doing, no technology, music, or anything in the background or around you to distract you. Also make sure that you’re completely awake. None of this half-awake stuff, you’ll forget. So again, like someone else said, make sure you get a good amount of sleep and eat healthy.

Also happy birthday ;) hope some of this helps!
    Equinox_Boss and Theomglover like this.
  3. Wait until the last two minutes. ;)
  4. This looks awesome!

Cool! Now, knowing myself I will probably not remember at that time and I sometimes also tend to overlook cool threads so.. Just to make sure: I wish you a very happy birthday in advance! Hope you're going to have a great time and... I also hope you'll ace your exams.

Just be careful. Being prepared and going all out is a good thing. But also don't be too hard on yourself. The goal is to finish them, and you should not risk getting yourself so worked up that you may even get a little nervous because of that.

Because there's a chance you might also not like reading long posts I'll do my best and keep it short as well.

But I still want to say that it makes me really happy to see you that you're still being active. Because I can remember a thread where you said that you were going to take it a little easier and a little slower (totally understandable, also with school and all) so yeah... Then I think it's awesome to see threads like these pop up again! Thank you for that.

Let's try and do both :)

Question: are you still doing events on EMC from time to time and if not: is there a chance we'll be seeing some of those when you passed your exams?

Some tips (for whatever it's worth!):
    • Always remember that the goal is to pass them. Acing them is awesome, but the whole idea is not to fail them. Reason I say this: back in the day there were a few dudes in my class who got so nervous and worked up about the exams that they literally over-panicked and stressed them out so much that they managed to mess up a few exams. Now, normally that can happen to anybody but this one dude was really good in math. And I mean: really good. And he hardly passed the exams. Fortunately he got is act together but...
    • Do you really need to study the last night for the exams? If you think you don't have what it takes on the last night then I think you should wonder if you're preparing yourself good enough. Because does that last night really make all the difference? If so, then maybe you should have started studying a bit earlier...
    • It's always easy to look back at the facts. "I should have done that differently", everyone has been there. So the trick is to stop and think about your options and to carefully make the right choices.
    And now for the dumbest tip of them all:

Cheat! (no, of course you should not cheat, but hear me out!).

This method worked for me though it may be a little overcomplicated. You have an x amount of material which you need to learn and keep ready. So why not try to make a draft, optionally using your books but best done from mind, which basically fully explains the stuff you need to know. Try to make this draft small. SO, say you need to study 4 chapters for your exams then try to write up a (shorter) summary which allows you to get all the answers you need.

But because you're going to "cheat" (you're not) you need to keep this draft small. SO you should also try to write down stuff which will remind you of other things you need to know instead of copying all the chapters from your book.

Then once you made yourself a draft try to repeat the process. Make the draft smaller. Because there's no way you can bring a paper back into class. It needs to be really small while still making sure that whatever you produce is enough to pass your exams. Which means that you should try and write up lines which help remind you about those lines in the first draft which help remind you about important parts which are not part of your draft.

It's a bit of an abstract process and there's no real "good" way to do this (it depends on your study material) but I always found it quite handy to try and keep making "cheat drafts" which I tried to make smaller and smaller and smaller.

So basically what I did was go over my study material again and again and again to make sure that I wrote down several important keypoints which allowed me to recall the whole thing. And then I started scrapping keypoints and condensing my drafts even more, make them even more smaller.
    At the end of the day I forced myself to go over the whole material so many times that I basically started recalling so many parts that I ended up not needing my cheat sheet anymore. Of course cheating was never the idea, but you got to admit that "making a cheat sheet" sounds a whole lot cooler than "writing the smallest draft possible".

Keep in mind though: I hated exams. Never liked those, I basically started preparing myself long before. And the last night before the exams I always played some video games and that was that. "Shouldn't you be studying?", yeah, on the last night before the exams? You really think that makes a difference?

Pfff, now it's a long post anyway. Oh well.

One very important thing to remember: Keep in mind that we're all different. What works for me doesn't have to work for you. But maybe it's something to keep in mind? Toy around with.

Oh? Aha <writes down a secret note>. Let's see if I can remember that in a few hours :D
  5. Oh, I enjoy reading long paragraphs its just I don't like writing them :p

Yea, I'll try just do some parkour courses :D

All right :) (Nah thanks for the tips!)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. I would say the best tip would be to sleep at least 8 hours the day before.
    Equinox_Boss, Theomglover and We3_MPO like this.
  7. Even normal members can use community chat. And even before the renaming, you still could've without a voucher or subscription because you're staff.

Anyways, my question is. What do you enjoy the most, outside of Minecraft and school? Also, I wish you luck on your exams, and agree with the tips q1zx gave.
  8. Awww, come on. Let the guy have some fun.

Besides: I don't speak from personal experience, only from what I heard around me, but in the end developers are to be considered normal players. This is also why you see some working really hard on their store and adverting that (keep it up Critic, as you can see I'm already starting to remember your advertising, next step I might even remember the ad itself! :D ).

And if devs. are still part of the economy I can really understand why JesusPower would like to get his hands on a voucher!
    Equinox_Boss, We3_MPO and Theomglover like this.
  9. Oh what 5 hours ain’t enough? :p

Uhm, hm going out with friends and counter strike :D
    Equinox_Boss and We3_MPO like this.
  10. make sure you don't over eat before hand. And whats ur fav animal and what colour would it change to if u could
  11. Personally my brain is a sponge so I use rarely any study and am passing with all A+'s (Don't ask me how, I think I'm possessed or something.) To get yourself in a testing mindset, go in a calm but assertive mood. Trust me even if you think you don't know it you never will, if you make your brain think it knows the exam material it will most likely retain information that your previous nervousness could have thrown away.
  12. Over eat, nah I don’t eat that much :p
    Uh favourite animal would have to be a dog, and black with white spots :)

Yea I feel calm going into tests but when I get to the actual thing I freak, but thanks :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. *Takes a deep breath in*
    All I can say is practise. Not "study" but practise. Practising helps to recall the information quicker and allows you to understand further than just studying. Since being in Uni, I've found that just staring at notebooks and reading over stuff never helps me in exams because my mind goes blank as quick as I turn the page. So practise those math equations, experience the protagonists story, don't just read blankly.

A very good example of this for me was when I had to cram study to get my drivers license, and I thought that day, "I'm not going to do this today, no way", because everything I was reading was just on paper. Now that I've been driving for a couple years, its become my second nature to look out for vehicles and such.

All the best with your exams! Oh, and don't leave it until the week of the test, study WAY before so it really sinks in!
  14. Haha reading, your joking right? (Jk) Thanks for the tip :D
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  15. Are you hyped for your exams?