[FORUM GAME] Guess the Word

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by 607, Mar 19, 2017.

?

Do you mind the term and theme 'Hangman'?

Yes. 23 vote(s) 22.8%
No. 78 vote(s) 77.2%
  1. L A _ L A _ _
    Letters Guessed: E, L, A,
    Words Guessed: Ancient,

Double letter winner here. A is in the word twice.
    luckycordel likes this.
  2. Is it "Lapland"? :D
    luckycordel and AncientTower like this.
  3. LAPLAND

You know about Santa Claus too.. Congrats on the winning word. I thought it was an appropriate word for the season.
    luckycordel and TomvanWijnen like this.
  4. My turn to share a word!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _
  5. F ?
    4moTilCRhystmas and luckycordel like this.
  6. Is there an A?
    4moTilCRhystmas likes this.
  7. _ A _ _ A _ _

Code:
     A, F, R 
    No F
    No R
    Two!
  8. Let me guess.....Interesting
    Did they have a letter "B"
    luckycordel and CranberRhySauce like this.
  9. To be? Not to be.

_ A _ _ A _ _

Code:
     A, B, F, R 
    luckycordel likes this.
  10. Let me guess the word

WASSAIL
    CranberRhySauce and luckycordel like this.
  11. Sorry Tower, but as far as I can find this isn't a word. :( So you're banned from hosting again (of course people can make mistakes, but Tower has done this very often).
  12. I'm going to guess 'D' for Rhythmically's word.
    CranberRhySauce and luckycordel like this.
  13. 🥺 Sorry. I guess for the two words that have banned me are less common than I thought. Neowise was a comet passing by Earth at the time I had it as my word. I just assumed many people knew of it since at least for me I kept seeing it in the news. As for Lapland I really did think it was a fine word since it’s been associated with Santa Claus for decades.
    But I understand your decision since it is your thread. I just ask if I can host again as long as I promise to pick more traditional mainstream words.
    luckycordel, 607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  14. Lapland is an area stretching over four countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia), and as such, I consider it to be a word.
  15. Sorry, I hope I don't offend, but I want the rule to remain strict, so as to discourage hosts from looking for obscure words.
    By that logic, you would also accept Europe. I don't, I think it is clearly caught by the "No band names/fictional characters/countries or whatever." illustration.
    Proper names are definitely not allowed, but common nouns such as 'Wii' or 'Walmart' also aren't. If you are well-versed in English grammar terminology and can word this in a rule or set of rules, please do! :)
    AncientTower and luckycordel like this.
  16. Yes, I would. :)

Where is this rule? I remember it now, but can't find it in the first post. :p

I think what you're looking for is that common nouns are allowed, and that proper nouns are not allowed.
    Source: https://www.gingersoftware.com/content/grammar-rules/nouns/common-noun/
    - I wouldn't choose this rule myself (I'd make the exception to allow places), but it's your thread, so you decide. :)
    607 and AncientTower like this.
  17. That's what I thought too, but it's not right, as 'Wii' and 'Walmart' are also common nouns, but I wouldn't allow them, as I explained yesterday (I see I wrote 'proper name' instead of 'proper noun' though, oops).
    It was at the end of the OP; I changed it yesterday to what it was at the moment that you looked for it.

Anyway, we still have Rhy's game going. :p
  18. As far as I can understand, "Wii" and "Wal-mart" are not common nouns, and instead are proper nouns, and thus fulfilling your rule. :p

Ah. :p I'd personally prefer for it to be there, in addition to the "no proper nouns" comment, as, while technically superfluous, it does clarify things up a bit, especially for those who might not immediately know what a proper noun is.

Last time, "E" didn't work. Let's try again: how about an "E"? :D
    607 likes this.
  19. That was my initial idea too, but it's clearly not the case when reading a definition. :p
    (try 'I saw Wii' vs 'I saw a Wii'...)
    Sounds good!