Fixing Minecraft Hoppers - Performance Update + More - 1/14/16

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Good thing i decided to make some of my vault pages permanent storage xD
    Well, it's not like i have any exotic builds to protect...
    Theomglover likes this.
  2. Fantastic update! Thanks for all the hard work! Now maybe I can actually move when I visit some of the hopper-heavy shops. With my old comp I've been lag-locked so bad I could barely even type in a new SMP to go to & FORGET actually moving.

On another note: thanks for the cat fix too! It has been problematic for me in the past when sharing outpost space in the wild.
    Theomglover likes this.
  3. I had no idea hoppers caused lag like this! :eek:
    I've been trying to reduce lag at my teleport hub 2112. I have about 10 hoppers set up on the lot that are just sitting there and not active, I never thought they would cause lag.. Is there a list somewhere of things that can cause server lag so I can prevent building it all in one spot as we've been warned not to do? or could someone pm? I know redstone stuff and items frames...
    Gawadrolt and BlueDoesPvp like this.
  4. Awesome Possum ;)
    Theomglover and Kytula like this.
  5. Very unlikely. Since no plugin, there was also no teleporting, and I force shutdown (no countdown) the servers immediately when it was noticed in under 1 minute.
    This only helps server lag, not client side lag. So you will still lose FPS.

10 is nothing. It's 1000+ that really packs a punch.

BEFORE this update, hoppers+chest in the fashion MrColt showed on his res caused the most damage. Now, the chests dont matter as much pain wise, but bulk quantity still adds up.

Initial results show a major drop in hopper cost, but still showing uppers at top of the list....

So, its not like they disappeared as a source of lag, just not as big of a hit as before.
  6. Does it mean there will be a limit of hoppers per res/chunk somedays?
    Theomglover likes this.
  7. Thanks for the update!

When is the subzone thing going to come?
    Theomglover likes this.
  8. When it's finished.
  9. Yay, now I can more safely build my massive automatic storages and farms :p (please don't kill me for what's going to come lol)
    Theomglover likes this.
  10. There are usually multiple ways of making farms/storage. Plan things out well and use water to funnel items if you can. My res has tons of great redstone tools including a semi-auto-potion maker, obsidian farm, cobble/stone farm, auto-furnaces, cactus farm and much more, but I only use maybe 150 - 200 hoppers among all my reses combined.
    Gawadrolt and BlueDoesPvp like this.
  11. I use packed ice and water if you're looking for a way to transport items.
    Theomglover likes this.
  12. Lol. Because cats are too fat, and players are too scared to hit them :p
  13. I'd like to file a request. In order for people to be able to thin the amounts, could Blizz messages be every minute for the next week, and only then bump them down to 3?
    Dufne and Theomglover like this.
  14. Well, I'm guessing you both know how item sorters using hoppers work, and using that method it's already going to be EXTREMELY tight. I'm guessing I need 4 layers (of sorters) atop of each other for the first couple of chests... Using water for my uses sadly just isn't practical :/ I'm going to put the whole sorter in a 5 thick space (excl. chests), and every other block is another 5 high chest row. That's waht I'll say for now lol, I'll post a thread when it's done (in a long time :p)
    Theomglover likes this.
  15. For those that overuse hoppers, please try to find smarter and more server-resource efficient ways to use them.

For example:
    Avoid using a ton of hoppers for long horizontal or downward chains; use droppers, ice, and water instead.
    RainbowChin, Kytula and Theomglover like this.
  16. Aikar, have any of these recent updates had any effect on breeding? I've had a villager breeding and in the last few days it's productivity has gone way down.

I haven't changed the way I do it but in the last 24 hours I've only seen one new villager. Just seems weird.
  17. I also noticed a change in villager breeding.
  18. there has been nothing changed that could of affected villagers. are you staying near them to keep them activated?
  19. Yeah I am. So very weirdly for like 48 hours they just weren't breeding or breeding very slowly. Then in the last few hours it's looking to be a bit back to normal.

They generally just breed so slowly so it's difficult to determine sometimes.
  20. Villager mechanics are weird. IIRC it has to do with active villages, and I think I recall reading theirs a limit on active villages for a server.

Utopia is known to have quite a few iron golem farms, so its possible that those farms were active, and affecting your villagers.