[FARM] Smp3 public shulker shell farm is now OPEN

Discussion in 'Business Listings' started by Fred_TWK, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Nvm it seems to be fixed now
  2. yeah, I fixed it, but forgot to write here :)

more than anything, I'm grateful I built it on an smp where I do not have anything else to do
    bryanm61, Kryarias and guybrush3 like this.
  3. ayo can I suggest something that prevents someone from coming and stealing the shulkers I afked 8 hours for?
  4. and I know they were spawning because I had obs recording in the second barrel and around the 7 hour mark shells started rolling in on recording, unfortunatley I did not get the individuals user
  5. At the Shulker Reaktor we have a patented system of pressure plates that, when stood upon, raise 2 netherite blocks to block off the collection boxes.

Perhaps something like this can be added :)
  6. I really wished people would be a bit more mature than this. :rubs temples:
    I can try to have a look over the easter weekend.

also, you guys are not really in the position to talk about theft prevention, I would say.
  7. Hello, I'm sorry but I was there for about an hour with nothing after the 3 initial ones that dropped within 4 minutes or less and so I pressed the button. It has been over 10 minutes and nothing has happened.

Please let me know what it is that you need for the healing potions. Also, have you named the shulker or would that not have anything to do with it?

Thank you for all your effort that everyone put into this for us.
  8. I'll come have a look Fixed now

The potion I need to craft is splash potion of healing 2.
    I need:
    - blaze powder
    - glass bottles
    - glistering melon
    - gunpowder
    - netherwart

The demand is not extremely high. Since I opened the farm about 1.5 stacks of each ingredient got used (and about 4.5 of bottles)

Thank you
  9. Thank you so much! I will definitely look and see what I can contribute to this lovely farm.
  10. implemented.

bryanm61 and DrasLeona247 like this.
  11. due to the shulker issues the server is having (both the farm keeps shutting down and today people found cities without shulkers in them, and I think the 2 might be related) the farm is closed until further notice.

sorry
  12. Sucks that it's down, but I'm sure we'll survive without it for a bit :p

Take your time with getting it up & running, amigo.
    JohnKid likes this.
  13. I know that everyone loves public farms, but when you afk and none else can use the farm .... What's the point? It's not fair to the players that are in-game if you are the only one hogging it, but not even on. Most public farms are set up for active players only for this very reason.

Perhaps an adjoining station or 2 where it can be split with other players? Should there be someone else wanting to use the farm, they stand in the next box on a pressure plate, for instance. (spitballing here. Don't know your setup)

Of course, if and when the shulker farm decided to cooperate and run again.
  14. I see your point.
    On the other hand this farm is designed to be afk'd only, and there are other farms that work on this principle, see smp7's iron farm, is public, it is afk only and you would expect people to leave your drops there.

But iron is (was?) less valuable/sought after than shulker shells.

Assuming the farm will ever be functioning again, I think that the problem would be solved with more farms around the smps.
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  15. The owners of this shulker farm also set a time limit users are supposed to stick to. When I afk'd at it I always left before the 4 hours was up in order to give someone else a go at it. I noticed the majority of users also followed that rule.

A second station is a great idea too.
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  16. Specifically the iron farm, Drops fall into your inventory as you wait there and your inventory would eventually fill and not pick up more. And drops can fall into the chest. Other players can join as there is easily room for 2 players - each to stand on their own carpet.

Any of the farms that have mobs to kill: pigmen, blaze, spiders, etc can't be afk'd because the entity count can literally cause lag if they spawn all in a kill area. This is the reason some have signs/rules about no afk'ing.

And please let me state for the record that I mean absolutely zero disrespect for your design and the farm itself. I am humbled at the amount of work you have put into creating/debugging all these farms and made them public, not to mention all the resources going into them. Just keeping an eye on farms that are already built and running is a job of itself.

I was just pointing out (above) that anyone who was setting up a player and going to bed/work for 8 hours is a bit consuming of the time availability of any public resource farm anywhere.

I am happy to see shells becoming so available, been using them in the shop as both colored item and storage that moves if necessary, only having to remake the sign, like I would anyway if I moved an item. I don't use the farms myself, but happily run around and buy 2r shells from several of the player shops when I need them. So I know the farms get used and that's great!!
  17. No disrespect taken, we're discussing point of views.

The thing is that different afk farms need different solutions. The slime one for example you need to afk in one dimension and grab your drops in a different one.
    The other farms on smp3 all have accessible drop chests and one would hope to find their drops if they afk there (see the glow ink farm I built, or all bryan's ones).

This one needs a balance between drop accessibility and length of afk time.

It isn't nice to hog the farm, but also it isn't nice to take the drops someone else's afk'd for.

I think the current solution (if the farm will ever work again) is a decent compromise. And in my opinion, as mentioned above, the only real solution is to have multiple public farms maintained by different people.
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  18. I had something at one of my farms that was on a timer. You stand on the plate it seals you in to protect your drops and if you are still there when time is up, you get pushed down a shaft making room for the next person. You don't die as the cobwebs catch you so you get your drops and can't hog the whole farm. Couple hrs max, and then "kicked".

Was even trying a system where you could sit in a minecart afk and wait "in line". Person using the farm gets carted out once time is up and the next person is automatically put in place. Maybe something to try.
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  19. The farm is provisionally re-opening.
    I have been testing today and I am not observing issues.

Took me 2 days to bring back online and build a back-up system to make the restarts faster.
    I would have liked to test more, but given that I am finding intruders already, makes no sense to delay further and disadvantage people that respect the signs.

I'll pop in the farm by time to time, hoping all remains operational.
    The restart button has been deactivated, the risk of messing up instead of helping is too great.

Thanks to chickeneer for the time and help.

-----

In separate news, in the interest of balancing more the needs of everyone, the drops-storage has been reduced from 3 to 2 barrels.
    KatydidBuild and Merek_Shadower like this.
  20. I may come over and give it a test here in the near future for ya. What would I need to keep my eyes open for?