Fact Or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kephras, Apr 12, 2014.

1. No Longer built*

These 'feelings in your gut' could easily be instinctive leftovers from versions past. Take Yawning for example. Sure the common argument is that it is a good way for the body to force good amounts of air to its exhausted requesters. But why when you watch someone yawn, do you yawn too? Is this just some CRAZY thing that humans just do? Or could it be some form of communication our bodies developed on their own through generations of evolution, and its use is either absent from our understanding, or just obsolete in our current time.
    Kephras likes this.

2. :p Because it always has to be about you humans...
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  3. Because 'Murica.

Because we have through and threw and thru, and two and to and too. Try parking your car in a parkway and you will find out why its not a good idea.
    Torian42 likes this.
  4. Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?
    Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
    Why are there flotation devices under plane seats instead of parachutes?
    Why are cigarettes sold in gas stations when smoking is prohibited there?
    Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?
    If you can't drink and drive, why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor, and why do bars have parking lots?
    Do you need a silencer if you are going to shoot a mime?
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
    How does the guy who drives the snowplow get to work in the mornings?
    If 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?
    Torian42 likes this.
  5. Because you can take them with you. And they make money selling them.
    ScarTheNinja likes this.
  6. Each year is approximately 365.242 days... so the locks are for the extra 6 hours. ;)
    607 likes this.
  7. I drive in driveways and I have no idea what a parkway is soooo..... :p
    607 likes this.
  8. I have entertained myself with this question on long rainy drives and while walking or riding a bike in the rain: Do more raindrops hit you if you are standing still or moving? Which way will get you wetter?
    607 likes this.
  9. "Ouch, I stubbed my toe on the coffee table! I've been exposed to the vacuum of space!"
    Kephras likes this.
  10. I have a question! Five, actually.

Why do 'muricans have their own version of the English language?
    Why do 'muricans call car parks 'parking lots'?
    Why do 'muricans pay for healthcare? ( :p)
    Why do 'muricans like british accents?
    Why do Australians like England so much?
  11. To soul punisher
    American version of the English language is the proper way to speak it.
    Everyone pays for healthcare, weather through taxes or out of pocket.
    We like British accents because they pronounce things weird, and its funny.
    I'm not aussie so I don't know, but aussie women are hot.
  12. Uh, English was created in England, and so I believe the English language spoken in England, is the official proper version of the English language.
    607 and SoulPunisher like this.
  13. The English version of the English language is the proper way to speak it ;)
    Yeah but through taxes it's only a small amount. If I wanted chemo in America i'd need alot of dollars that most people don't have.
    Americans refer to the cockney accent when they say 'british accents' :p Watch this whole video, like, naow:

Another question; which accent do I haz? :3
    I've never met an Australian IRL so I, uh, wouldn't know...
    mba2012 likes this.
  14. You have cool accents, and the temperatures aren't permanently above 30 degrees(celcius).

And you have better airports.
  15. Our accents are rubbish ;(
    Last time I checked temperatures that never go above 25C aren't great, especially with recent years when it's been mostly 15C. :(
    wait wut.
    Who cares about airports? :p
  16. Me, plus Australian's have to fly everywhere because we don't have a rail network between cities.

And our airlines are horrible(on time rate of about 75%) to, so it doesn't add to the experience of flying.
  17. American English and "proper" English are somewhat different. Given that there's an entire ocean and three centuries of development between the two, it's really not much of a surprise there.
    As an aside, not all of us appreciate the term "murican." :( We're not all fat, dumb, arrogant jerks who live at Walmart.

This is what happens when you put private corporations in charge of such things. Healthcare is just one example. The biggest problem is, instead of being regulated by the needs of the patient, it's run first and foremost as a business, with the intent to make money. Stockholders and CEOs do not have the public's best interests in mind, only their wallets. This is why some people are happy to see Obamacare, because the government is stepping in to try and manage an "industry" that got out of control (and, in my opinion, should never have been an "industry" to begin with). It's worth noting that the underlying problems are still there, and for the majority, Obamacare is a badly-applied band-aid that doesn't really fix anything.

An internet one, apparently. ;)

As to the last question... you'll have to get an Australian to answer that.

Depends partly on which way the wind is blowing. According to this moderately scientific test, running keeps you drier, mostly due to being out in the rain for less time. I mention wind because if you walk into a driving rain, you're accumulating more than if you're walking with / away from it.
    I've wondered this myself - particularly at the moment, when I can hear rain pouring down outside - and in the end the best answer I have is "carry an umbrella."
    PandasEatRamen, 607 and Pab10S like this.