Fact Or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kephras, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Why do we park in driveways and drive down parkways?

:D
    jkjkjk182, Kephras and Luckygreenbird like this.
  2. Smartarse. :rolleyes:
    Because language is a funny thing. The answer is technically some mixed-up etymology stemming from "driveway" being your personal 'way' from street to house, and the dual meaning of "park" as both a verb (the act of making your vehicle stationary) and a noun (place with trees & grass and such).
    Torian42 likes this.
  3. Question for you:
    If we were to become omnipotent in specific ways but as such would be unable to access said power as it is not humanely possible (such as an ability only possible due to traits of plasma), is said person considered in any way all-powerful in said aspect?

4. Let me see if I understand:
    -Person has unlimited power over "X" but cannot use said power?
    Then how can it be said they have that power at all? It's kind of a self-defeating question.
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  5. It was more of to see if you could follow my logic :p
  6. I really love thought questions like these. If you guys are looking for good thought questions and stuff, you could start with SciShow (already listed once here), Vertasium, and MinutePhysics, while most of these EXPLAIN things, Minute Physics in particular usually raises questions as well as answers them. AND usually in under 90 seconds :).

My personal favorite, in the REAL realm of physics by which all other things in the universe are forced to obey. What would happen if an immovable force ACTUALLY found its way to an Unstoppable object? You should make your guesses BEFORE watching the video. I know I did, and it makes that much more cool :) (I Watch stuff like this at least 4 hours a day.... It's a problem)

mba2012, 607 and Kephras like this.
  7. My guess is that it would bounce off.

Annnnd got it wrong.
    Luckygreenbird likes this.
  8. Before I watch, I'll make I guess... I think the unstoppable object would immediately travel the other way upon collision. Will edit with results.
    Edit: ninja'd by skydragon. We have similar theories. :p
    results edit: the video assumed constant direction. I am displeased with the results now. :(
  9. I wouldn't say it's a "problem" if you're actually learning something :)
    As for the rest of the thread, thought exercises are fun. Not quite what I had in mind by starting this, but as constructive a use as any.
  10. Changing direction would assume that acceleration or velocity needs to change. Which.. would mean.. it was neither unstoppable or immovable.
  11. Well velocity would only change direction. The unstoppable object would have to pass through itself once as to not change acceleration.
    Edit: since the velocity is relative and the "unstoppable" term is used to describe its inability to change acceleration, direction is negligible as it deals with velocity rather than acceleration.
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  12. No, velocity includes both direction and speed, so changing direction requires an acceleration. And if the object is accelerating, there must be a net force acting on it.
    Edit: In other words, an acceleration can cause either a change in direction or a change in speed, or both at the same time.
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  13. So a change in direction without a change in speed is an acceleration?
    supereskimo likes this.
  14. One would think it is because the driveway is the "way" you use to travel from your parking spot to the road, and a parkway would be the opposite; a small road that goes to a parking lot, or possible just going by/through an actual park, as Kephras said.
  15. Ahhh! Knew it, but only because I have heard that one before. :p
  16. That is correct.
  17. 1) Yes, because of matter.
    2) Don't really understand, differentiate...
    3) Because it's the LAW.

My questions:
    Say an advanced alien race comes to Earth, what will happen based on our history?
    Can imagination be reality?
    Is the world we live in just a dream?
  18. For the first one, I say because humans react violently to the unknown, they'd begin to fight back. If the race was superior to humans, we'd be destroyed. Humans really aren;t friendly to things they don't understand.
    607 likes this.
  19. After simply using googleand viewing video's, I guess you are right. My bad. I feel like a complete dumb-ass for continuously arguing my theory on false logic.

1 Kephras: 0 Olaf_C

I fool you not, there is scientific evidence supporting a sixth sense. For a decade or two now, there has been much speculation over this. I am pretty sure (correct me if I am wrong) that the idea has to do with concepts like "trusting our gut" how how strong enough human emotion affects others. The idea is basically that emotions give off energy which is picked up by this new sense (correct me if that is not the case). Do you think this is possible?
    Kephras likes this.
  20. They'll build some bizarre structure that defies our understanding and leave historians and scholars debating their involvement and very existence for millennia afterwards. ;)
    "I'm not saying it was aliens... but it was aliens."

Sure. Everything humanity has ever created had to start in someone's head. Imagination made real.

Unlikely, but technically impossible to prove conclusively.
    Lucky left a vid on my profile comments that explains it pretty well:

At its most basic, fundamental level, all perception is the transfer of energy. Light, heat, sound, even taste and smell. All that energy is 'decoded' by our brain into something we can properly understand - a lightbulb, a hot pan on a stove, or the jingling of car keys. We're constantly translating massive amounts of sensory input into higher concepts we can understand.
    But we're not even scratching the surface of what's around us. We can't see infrared or ultraviolet, our noses aren't sharp enough to differentiate more than basic odors, and we can't hear radio frequencies - the information is always there, present in the world around us, we simply lack the proper inputs to translate it all. That doesn't mean it isn't acting on us, however.
    The other half of this is, consciously, we filter out a lot of extraneous information. We've still received it, our minds have simply "blanked it out" as unnecessary or unimportant, instead of committing it to short-term memory.
    What you have then, is a wealth of energy loaded with information, and we only consciously read a miniscule amount of it. "Sixth Sense" as far as I'm concerned, is just the occasional instance of our minds processing and translating a little bit of extra input, or a filter that for whatever reason let some extra details slip through into conscious thought.
    As for the root question:
    I wouldn't credit something as abstract as "emotion" being the source of said energy, but the electrochemical activity in our brains and our body's reaction to emotional stimuli (release of chemicals and enzymes in the bloodstream, sweat, body odor, or a change in pulse rate) are certainly verifiable enough - and as I stated, all information is just energy. Maybe we can't pick up on it or tap into that information at will, but that doesn't mean we're completely blind to it either. The mind just wasn't built to translate that way.
    607, IceCreamHorse and HylianNinja like this.