Explore the World of Caskaria

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by NetherSpecter, Jun 8, 2016.

?

Excitement?

Yes! 15 vote(s) 83.3%
No! 3 vote(s) 16.7%
  1. Deep in the Northern Mountains lies the peaceful Village of Numaria, named after the deity that saved Caskaria from enslavement, it's famous for it's Highlands Arena, and the castle sat atop of the Northern Mountain.
    ----------------------------------

Many children get lost to the wonders of Troublestump Woods. Lost in the secrets of time and negligence many travelers take the road laid out along Crackback Valleys since the Slaughter of Ivy in the deep of the woods.

Now the most taken path between Numaria and Josania the Crackback Valleys are a series of mountainous pillars with bridges linking them. Many wagon accidents has happened so most merchants and travelers go on foot with horses trailing behind them.
    AmusedStew, jkrmnj and Kephras like this.
  2. Seems like an interesting game.
    NetherSpecter and 607 like this.
  3. Debating on whether or not to release an early access version... I know there will be LOADS of bugs.

Anyways, bump!
    Kephras likes this.
  4. That depends, I suppose. When you say 'bug,' do you mean "I'll answer all feedback with 'I'm still working on that'" or "I'm sorry your computer simultaneously froze up and melted down"?
    607 and NetherSpecter like this.
  5. Both sound bad, but I guess the closest thing is either missing text, missing items, improper noises, or quests just not working correctly. As well as unbalanced enemies and iffy encounter rates. I'm gonna run through what I have tonight and tomorrow and see if I can continue from there. :D
    Kephras and 607 like this.
  6. It is cool to see your progress and, as you found out earlier, having other people play it can find a bunch of problems you might not have noticed.
    Kephras, NetherSpecter and 607 like this.
  7. Expect an Alpha version tomorrow morning, I'll be uploading the demo tonight and post it here and clean up the OP. :) Thanks everyone for waiting! Hopefully I won't disappoint, and I can finally make some MAJOR progress.
    Kephras and jkrmnj like this.
  8. A bump for all of you lovelies, and as promised, a download.

Now I know about grammer issues, text being the wrong color and soundfiles may be missing, but nothing should crash your game or make it unplayable, just awkward. There's also some buildings that you can't enter and dungeons that haven't been made. There's a lot missing so... good luck. Hope you enjoy the shambles that is the alpha version. :p

Lands of Caskaria Alpha_1.0.0
    Kephras likes this.
  9. Looks really good so far. I played up until it crashed when I had to fight Devon. Being able to interact with the world is really nice and makes it feel more alive. I especially like the kephria reference :p. Your character being summoned to fight seemed a little odd. Why would the King send a guard to the opposite side of town into an inn specifically asking for you? Why then did he call you a stranger later on? This part felt unnatural and like you are getting forced into something instead of making it feel believable and organic. A couple of other possibilities are that you are an off duty guard who is getting called in to help (still questionable because of the inn) or maybe you walk downstairs and the guard is asking everyone in the inn if they could help and you are the only one to take him up on the offer. Also, I apparently told someone I would be competing in some kind of dog show but I don't have a dog :confused:.
  10. So... after playing through (instead of playing in test I played the actual version) it seems that when I compress and deploy the version the image required for this fight doesn't seem to make it... which is baffling considering. I'll be adding it manually for now until I can find out why it does this.
    jkrmnj likes this.
  11. A small update I suppose

--------------

Been working on the main quest and after testing for almost 8 hours straight on this ONE scene I finally think I have the first quest of the main questline complete. Once I finish up ALL of the events in Numaria (could be whenever) I'll have the next update. I hope to get at least 1 city each update and work on dungeons in between but no promises.
    607 and jkrmnj like this.
  12. This is truly amazing. I have been watching this thread and all but I have never gotten to play since it wont work for me for some reason ;-; but im trying to download it one more time, maybe ill get lucky!
  13. Be careful, on the current version there's a bug for the main quest, but feel free to explore and poke around. :p

Also are you perhaps on a Mac? I don't have any versions for Macs currently but if you're having issues I could go ahead and whip one up for you. :)
    607 likes this.
  14. Im not playing on a Mac
  15. Stuck it on my SD, hopefully I'll get some time tonight to try it out. :D

EDIT:
    So, I attempted to play Ivan - he was invisible. Could move around, but without a sprite it was complete guesswork where he was at any given time. Went back to the menu, tried some others - I guess only Jordan is playable right now?

Explored the inn (you already showed me the Kephria thing, but I chuckled anyway), explored the house next door - guess there's no "upstairs" yet. Went into the tower, smacked two mice down like nothing and was feeling pretty good about that - and then got ambushed by a spider and a mouse and was utterly destroyed (that "enemy always attacks first" problem again - which is especially painful when they get free hits for "surprising" you; they landed four attacks before I was allowed to retaliate, at which point half my HP is already gone).

Guess I'll wait for the next version release before trying anything more. :confused:
    NetherSpecter and 607 like this.
  16. Currently only Jordan is available but since my next "big" update will have all playable characters playable I didn't bother to change the code just to change it back a week later. I'm still working on mapping so most houses and buildings aren't yet complete as well as flavor events but I'll have it done by the second patch. As for the monsters I'm tweaking them, and there seems to be an issue where they go 2 levels ahead of the player a lot, raising their agility WAAAY past the norm. I'm also adding in a CTB system that will be ran off agility, if this doesn't seem to fit I might change it to a ATB system and work off that. Many new things and balances have been fixed already, I'm just working on mapping and... well let's just say you can only do so many houses before your brain is fried...

EDIT: I've also added a mechanic where the duel-wielding users (Jordan and another party member) will attack twice in 1 turn, since they have 2 weapons they should be attacking twice right?
    607 and Kephras like this.

17. Just a small idea of what I have to do when it comes to mapping. So this is part one of 5 that make up the capital of Caskaria. :p So that's 19 buildings for just a fifth of a city. :p Not to mention events. xD Just a behind the scenes sneak peek. :)
    607 and Kephras like this.
  18. One thing I might suggest (if only to make life a little simpler) is to put impassable door sprites over each incomplete building. Open door means "Done," closed means "Unfinished." That way you have a quick way to see which ones still need to be worked on, as well as a good metric for progress. Keep in mind also, as great as it is to have a completely open world (like Elder Scrolls), there's really not a need to enter every peasant's home and rifle through their belongings. :)
    607 and NetherSpecter like this.
  19. That could work in between updates, and would be simple to do.

There may not be a need, but having the option to do so, is what makes an open world truly open. Having the option to explore every little crevice is what amazed me about games such as Skyrim, Dragon Age, and Fallout.
  20. I'm still here. Sorry for lack of progress (and lack of attendance) I took a short vacation to play in a MTG tournament in Jersey as well as went to New York with family to see Aladdin on Broadway. BUT I AM BACK! I'll be getting to work on finishing the promised update and as all other games bore me I might as well work non-stop on this. :)
    Kephras, 607 and jkrmnj like this.