[Essay] Markus Persson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChespinLover77, May 9, 2017.

1. Like i do for most school projects, I incorporate Minecraft into them.
    For my final English project we had to write about anyone we wanted explaining how they changed America.
    So I choose Markus Persson (for those who dont know he created minecraft)

So here's my essay for those who want to read it! Feed back is appreciated!

Being born in Stockholm, Sweden in June of the year 1979, Markus had already
    started learning and using code at a young age. Growing up in Edsbyn, which was
    surrounded by trees for miles would greatly impact Markus’s later invention of
    “Minecraft”. Before Markus had been introduced into the world of coding, He was
    obsessed over playing with legos, Not enjoying school that much, Markus would more
    often than not fake being sick so he could stay home and develop code. His first game
    being coded, and fully playable by the age of 8. He ended up not finishing High School,
    but since Markus had been practicing coding practically his whole life he had gotten so
    good he decided to apply for a programming job. Eventually Markus had landed a job at
    “Midasplayer” Which according to Biography.com “At Midasplayer, Persson befriended
    Jakob Porsér, a developer, and the friendship would redefine Persson’s life path.” (
    “Markus Persson” 1) “It wasn’t long before Persson and Porsér were writing their own
    games, but their Midasplayer bosses didn’t like the attention these games were
    garnering the duo.” (“Markus Persson” 1) And due to this, Markus left the company and
    joined “jAlbum” and had used all his free time there to create “Minecraft”.

Markus has been awarded for several times for his games he created, the most
    awarded one being Minecraft. At the “Independent games festival” that took place in
    2011 Markus’s game Minecraft had received 2 awards, the “Audience Award” as well as
    the “Seumas McNally Grand Prize”. But those were not the only awards Markus
    received that year, when he attended the “Game Developers Choice Awards” he
    received an additional 3 awards “Best Debut Game Award”, “Innovation Award”, and
    lastly the “Best Downloadable Game Award”. He continued to be awarded in 2012 with
    yet another “Best Downloadable Game” which had been given to him at the Golden
    Joystick Awards. Besides all the awards he had received Markus had many outstanding
    achievements, such as breaking the monotony in the video game industry by creating
    Minecraft. They released a version of minecraft on nearly every platform, except for
    Nintendo’s handheld devices. Minecraft being a hit on all platforms had sold over 60
    million copies, 12 million on Xbox 360 and 17 million on computers by October 2014.
    On November of 2014 Markus Persson had sold his game “Minecraft” to Microsoft for
    2.5 billion dollars. Although his game Minecraft was arguably one of his most popular
    games he made many more games that caught the attention of his fans. “He has been a
    consistent participant at the Ludum Dare 48-hour game making contests. Some of his
    creations are Breaking the Tower, Metagun, Prelude of the Chambered, and
    Minicraft.”(“Markus Persson” 1) In 2012 he also created MMORPG called Wurm Online
    with his friend Rolf Jansson. In 2014 Markus Persson along with his old friend JakocPorser released a game called Scrolls, it's a strategy collectible card game playable
    over many platforms due to it being made on the Unity game engine. Although all these
    achievements are fascinating his most important achievement would be, being listed in
    the “100 Most Influential People” which had been published under the Time Magazine.

Though Markus had rushed the making of Minecraft it started getting multiple
    downloads a day. People were hooked, because of the lego aspect of the game and all
    of the blocks, creatures, and items. Soon enough Minecraft was a year old, and with
    that already 20,000 people had downloaded the game. The game had attracted a wide
    variety of ages, and different people all around the world. One of these types of people
    Minecraft had attracted was players with Autism. One example of Persson’s invention of
    Minecraft changing America by helping players with autism,
    These kids went crazy over Minecraft, they were hooked.
    But other players had been bullying them.” So Stuart Duncan
    who had Autism as well as his son set up a server
    specifically
    for players who always had autism. “He thought the
    invite-only server would attract 10 or 20 people. To his
    surprise, hundreds
    requested to join in the first few days. (Rutkin 1)
    For autistic children, teenagers, and adults it can be hard to
    do everyday social situations such as ; Social cues,
    Interacting in a large or small group of people, expressing
    emotion, etc. Not all Minecraft servers are specific to a group
    of people, but “AutCraft” is a white-listed (Invite Only) server
    designed in every aspect just for people who have Autism.
    She saw people build friendships and have fun together. She
    also saw kids expressing their feelings – joy over a good
    time in the game, and anxiety or sadness about problems in
    the real world. “There’s a lot of reflection going on,” she
    says. “Minecraft is supporting a lot of these social
    behaviours.” (Rutkin 1)
    While AutCraft does have hundreds of players, not everyone that has autism plays on
    that server some prefer to play with friends on single player, on a realm world, or one of
    the many multi-player servers that are run on the PC Version of Minecraft. Everyone
    has their own reasons for liking Minecraft. Some of the reasons that people with autism
    like to play Minecraft are ; You have the ability to build anything you want, there are no
    set rules you can do what you want such as go hunting for mobs or brew some potions,
    exploring dungeons, the possibilities are endless. The fact that there is a variety ofmodes you could play on is also what attracts players with autism, even though you can
    die while playing in Survival Mode or Hardcore Mode you can still choose to play in
    Creative Mode which means you have limitless items and can’t die. On top of having the
    ability to build anything, do anything, and the variety of modes to choose from a lot of
    players with autism love the fact that people can’t touch your stuff. Most servers have
    rules against stealing and destroying other peoples builds, and if they do you can just
    kick them off the server. Keith Stuart’s son Zac has been struggling to get a diagnosis of
    autism.
    He’d Always been behind on language development, always
    had a problem in a crowded environment … He was socially
    awkward and withdrawn .... I didn’t know what to do for him
    how to make him happy, that's what you want as a parent …
    But then I bought the XBox version of Minecraft, and
    watching Zac was like a light switching on. He just got it.
    He knew that he had to mine for materials and chop down
    trees to make a home, he knew that when night fell he had
    to get inside to avoid zombies. Within its clearly defined rules
    and systems, Minecraft provided a creative structure that
    freed him (Stuart 1)
    Minecraft can help bring out amazing aspects of people who have autism. It can help
    them pick up more language skills, make new friends, and use their imagination to build
    endless amounts of things. They’ll learn to open up more and talk about stuff their are
    interested (such as Minecraft)
    Not only, do people with autism play Minecraft at home, there is a school in Australia
    who use Minecraft to teach lessons to kids on the autism spectrum. They focus these
    planned lessons on grades 3-6 and they all play together as a class.
    Two hours north of Sydney, the kids of 3-6 Rainbow, a
    class in Aspect Hunter school combining grades 3-6,
    are playing Minecraft. The students are bright, bubbly
    and talkative -- pretty much what you'd expect from any
    group of kids ages 8 to 11. But this class is a little
    different. It's run for children with autism spectrum
    disorder (ASD), a diagnosis that covers a broad range
    of difficulties with social interactions, communication
    and repetitive behaviour. Yet you'd have trouble
    guessing that as the kids excitedly play together over a
    networked Minecraft session. (Cheng 1) Minecraft gives
    students "a much more understandable version of theactual world," says Smith, because it presents ideas in a
    straightforward and visual way. Seeing the game's
    potential, Aspect's teaching staff began designing and
    testing lessons that integrated Minecraft in early 2013.
    They learned to play the game, sat in on each other's
    classes, gave feedback and improved their methods.
    That experience, along with their expertise in autism,
    helped Aspect's staff create lessons around Minecraft
    on subjects ranging from English and science to
    geography and art. (Cheng 1)

With Markus being a code loving high school dropout, creating Minecraft was one of his
    most successful accomplishments in life. Creating a safe place for people diagnosed
    with autism, redefining the way games are perceived and being one of the most
    well-known and most inspirational video game coders. With endless possibilities in a
    game to do whatever you want, and create friendships, releasing your imagination this
    is how Markus Persson changed America.

2. To me, it seems like the paragraphs are too long. Also, why are the sentences cut off before the end of the page, in most instances?
    ChespinLover77 likes this.
  3. The formatting got messed up sorry I color coded the paragraphs
  4. Attached pictures of the original format if it makes it easier to read :)
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  5. Not to be too critical, but the paragraphs seem like giant walls. Grammar is a little bit... off.
    For example, after 'playing with LEGOs' there should be a full stop, not a comma. So, something more like:
    "Before Markus had been introduced to the world of coding, he was obsessed over playing with LEGOs. As he didn't enjoy school very much, he would skip school to code."

I may have also reworded that slightly, which brings me onto my next point: unless you're under a word limit (those things are stupid), extend sentence length to make it sound more formal.

That part probably makes no sense. It's how I explain making something sound more formal in my head though, so... :rolleyes:
    Zrugite, JDHallows, 607 and 3 others like this.
  6. Don't forget the cites and sources.
  7. Ah yes almost forgot :
    Cheng, Dave. Minecraft helps kids with autism build richer lives, 29 Mar. 2016,
    https://www.cnet.com/news/minecraft-helps-kids-with-autism-build-richer-lives/. Accessed 8 May 2017.
    How Minecraft is helping children with autism make new friends, Reed Business Information Ltd. , 27 Apr. 2016,
    https://www.newscientist.com/articl...elping-children-with-autism-make-new-friends/. Accessed 27
    Apr. 2017.
    Kulman, Dr. Randy. 7 Reasons Kids with Autism Love Minecraft, The Gadget, 1 Apr. 2015,
    learningworksforkids.com/2015/04/7-reasons-kids-with-autism-love-minecraft-2/. Accessed 27 Apr. 2017.
    Markus Persson, A&E Television Networks, 21 Apr. 2015, www.biography.com/people/markus-persson. Accessed 26 Apr.
    Markus Persson, Famous-Entrepreneurs.com, www.famous-entrepreneurs.com/markus-persson. Accessed 27 Apr. 2017.
    Markus Persson, The famous people website, www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/markus-persson-5569.php. Accessed 26 Apr.
    Markus Persson Success Story, Successstory.com , https://successstory.com/people/markus-persson. Accessed 27 Apr. 2017.
    Stuart, Keith. Minecraft's creator will always be a hero to me, he gave my autistic son a voice, 6 Mar. 2015,
    https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ll-always-be-a-hero-to-me-he-gave-my-autistic
    -son-a-voice. Accessed 26 Apr. 2017.
    JDHallows likes this.
  8. May I ask, do you know if those should be in MLA or APA format? Or does your teacher not have a requirement? Also, what kind of advice are you looking for? Just in general as we notice things or are you needing more specific help (grammar/spelling, fact checking, style, etc)?

One last thing, what is your due date for it? I would assume probably soon, since most people don't finish essays/papers too far ahead of time ;)

I have not read it just yet, about ready to though, so looking forward to it :)
  9. Ha ha ha, I love this :)

Takes me back to a Dutch essay I once had to write. Well, it started with a small story and you had to finish it. I took the initial story and easily turned it into a Star Wars based essay. 4 pages of (written) text, got me an easy score of 9,5 out of 10 (Dutch use scores from 1 (worst) to 10 (best)).

Haven't read it yet, will do that at a later time.

But it's always cool if you can combine school with hobby.
    ChespinLover77, 607 and JDHallows like this.
  10. Not looking for any specific advice, just if you see somthing i should fix it improve :D