EMC Wiki

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CtrlAltEnigma, Apr 30, 2012.

1. This sounds really cool to me!
  2. Thanks! Just to keep you updated, the software that powers with wiki is now installed and working. I just need to set it up and then we will be asking people to beta test.
  3. If you need me just message me! And you can make your own profile page do you?
  4. When you sign up a page is automatically (ish) created about you. You can start editing that as soon as you like. It's pretty much a profile page.
    marknaaijer likes this.
  5. Hey man I was wondering if you could add a section for tutorial videos/ community made videos. I would be glad to make some videos for it or let you use the videos I have already produced.
  6. There almost definitely will be a community video section. I'll need to work out a compatible way of doing it that wont eat up all of my 'unlimited' bandwidth but it should happen. I'll send you a PM about your videos when it's ready. :)
  7. Cool, maybe you can make a page of video links to, like videos for the empireminecast!
  8. It wont be a page of video links, I can guarantee that. What I will probably do is have a section for videos with a template to stop them interfering with the normal pages.
  9. If EMC is going to have a WIKI it should be done right.

It should be interactive, not like a normal WIKI.

For example the main page has several "picture buttons" for each category, and you click the resident commands for example, and the other ones all fade away and the residential commands button moves to the top of the screen and from underneath it, all the commands for residential plots fade into scene.
  10. Maybe rewright the empire guide!
  11. You cannot rewrite perfection.(;
  12. Actually, if you check the homepage it says 'Don't copy things directly off the Empire Guide (this includes images). It's pointless and doesn't help anyone.'
  13. Oh trust me, it will be done right. I'm planning to develop something similar to what you've said, although Mediawiki does have it's limitations. Also, a quiz extension is being installed as I speak so that will add a little bit more interactivity.
  14. awesome job :)
    JackBiggin likes this.
  15. no I mean ask JustinGuy to update the empire guide and make a page of it. Cuz the guide says that you can have 3residences if you are a diamond supporter, and it is 4.
  16. Will embedding the videos chew up bandwidth? Maybe an IFrame? Something that is easy to use.
  17. I'll probably make a YouTube channel, hide it from listings then upload the videos there (as unlisted). Seems like the most sensible way.
  18. I'm currently in the process of trying to contact JustinGuy about disclaimer stuff so I might mention this.
  19. I cringe at the usage of "professional software" and MediaWiki =P

MediaWiki is extremely bloated.

I personally liked DokuWiki http://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki

its alot more lightweight.

MediaWiki is one of the most bloated piece of craps ever written in PHP.
  20. I really look forward to burning up countless hours on this Wiki, writing pages, etc. etc. ;)