EMC Shop Database

Discussion in 'Products, Businesses, & Services Archives' started by raenis, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User defined sorting I could probably add. I'll probably add that to the list of features to add.

Formatting I've just added via Markdown (Link to syntax instructions!), which integrated seamlessly. It's really easy to learn and use, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble with it. I'll need to add a few things in the stylesheets and javascripts to make it where people don't go absolutely crazy with some of the stuff it provides. Please note, the in-line HTML sections of the syntax listing aren't valid, as HTML tags in your original input are still stripped. But, this does give you a way to do all of the following:
    • Format your text in all sorts of ways: bold and italic (no underlining though. Sorry... :( ), ordered and ordered lists, block quotes, headers, etc.
    • Add links to other pages! Link to other shop listings, to the EMC website and forums, etc.
    • Include images in your descriptions! (I'll set styles to normalize original view sizes, and javascripts to auto-link to their full-size versions on Click)
    It's pretty lightweight too, so it shouldn't have much of an impact on processing time. And by allowing you to include your own images as you see fit, it should alleviate the need to create a way to upload images to the database. I'll spend my time tomorrow working on adding documentation to the shop database before continuing onward with features and tweaks, so everything is explained to the user as they work with it.
    apamment likes this.
  2. On the homepage :) Yay.
    MuffinCraft15 likes this.
  3. This is amazing. I love it. Glad to see such a thing such as this has been created by our community. :)
    Keep up the great work. ;)
  4. Got a bug / error here:
    Code:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function markdown() in /home/raenis/public_html/config.php on line 11
  5. yay! :p Time to find who sells the cheapest diamonds ;) I already bought almost 2 stacks of diamonds from Zabriel.
  6. Cool! Thanks! Now there will hopefully be less chat log spam. Cooooooool.... Need to work on my shop a bit more...
  7. Literally the only thing I can get it to show me....
  8. Yea, I got the same thing when looking for sandstone. Is this a me specific problem?
  9. Search box is broken , i'm sure he will fix it as soon as possible.
  10. I goofed, sorry about that. Fixed now, sorry guys! Way to start the day! :cool:
  11. Im sorry, but i still dont see the use of this without having prices put on that page - or am i missing something and the prices are shown but i havent found them?
  12. I've mentioned before my reasoning for not including prices. If prices were included, players searching for things to buy would only search out the cheapest shops, which would leave a lot of shops without visitors. It would also largely reduce the amount of time a shop owner needed to spend researching their prices to keep themselves competitive as instead of visiting other shops that sell the same items they sell to see their prices, they would just look them up here. Granted, I do understand that cheaper shops are more likely to run out of stock, but that will still happen even if prices aren't listed as word would get out about the good prices.

My goal with this is to provide a way for shoppers to find where they can buy what they need, and for shop owners to get some visibility and see what shops they are in competition with a far as items they sell. I don't want to have much impact on how likely it is for a player to visit a residence, as then they'd miss out on a lot of awesome creations that they might not have otherwise seen without doing their own looking around for prices that work for them.

In the future, if demand is very high for adding prices to the shop listings, I may do so. In the meantime, my hope is that users understand my reasons for not including them originally, and remember that you can post your prices in your shop description if you so choose.
  13. Very good explanation and i get your point of view - and i believe your right.. Thanks :)
  14. it dont work for me
  15. Whoops, yep. Was distracted putting together the Markdown guide. Just fixed it!
  16. Oh thats ok. Thanks for fixing it.
  17. WOW this is amazing ! EMC have really out done themselves :D Good Job guys !
    raenis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.