EMC needs PVP!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cypher_Rahl, Jun 7, 2012.

?

Should EMC implement PVP?

Yes! 48 vote(s) 30.6%
Nope. 109 vote(s) 69.4%
  1. 計画通り.jpg

Yeah, okay. I'll stop that now.

But yeah. I don't like the idea of pvp(especially open world) coming to EMC, but I won't mind HG server, I guess? The rewards should be decided after initial reception.
    Cypher_Rahl and SillyWhiteMage like this.
  2. I have hosted a (small) HG server before, I can help with any logistical stuff you might need.
    Cypher_Rahl likes this.
  3. I'll be in contact agent x.
    Right now I am waiting on feedback from a mod. I want to make sure we don't violate any rules or cause any trouble. After, if we get permission, we can start a thread to discuss matters further and to brainstorm.
    Cypher_Rahl likes this.
  4. When I first saw this post, I did the naughty thing and clicked no straight away.. thinking to myself.. "Ugh, another PVP thread".. but on further inspection, I actually like this idea. I'm not sure if it will ever be implemented into EMC but it has it's merits, that's for sure. I tried to read through as many of the posts in this that I could, and it appears that so many people just say "No" without reason. This frustrates me. Therefore, I'd like to give my input.

PVP could be implemented into EMC as long as it was completely separate from the SMP servers, as OP said. This means vault would not be available, your inventory and XP is not carried between the servers, and this is made EXTREMELY clear from the beginning. I believe a HG format would be most successful, with the server being reset say.. every 2 hours? with an hour window between each game. Players start with nothing, and leave with nothing but the satisfaction of winning and potentially there name on a leaderboard. Players would join the game and be given a set of rules/guidelines that they MUST read before they can continue. This would have a statement about items not being carried over, and to not come running to the mods when you die. You go to PVP; expect to die. This is the way I think it could be implemented.

There are of course some downfalls, such as arguments, rage, caps etc. but the normal rules of EMC to do with chat (caps, swearing, spam) would still apply and players would be able to /report a player for these problems. Obviously, some players will /report for "unfair killing" but they can be ignored or whatever. The main thing is that players understand the rules from the beginning, and know that nothing is transferred and on the PVP world.. it's basically, kill or be killed.

That is all. I hope it makes sense. >.<
    Cypher_Rahl and SecretAznEks like this.
  5. They call her always right Colgan :p
    You basically just rehashed exactly what I was thinking.
    And maybe an idea would be to have HG style games every hour for 6 hours, with one big event every couple weeks? I think that would be a good balance.
    Cypher_Rahl and hayleycolgan like this.
  6. hue hue hue
  7. But if you were to try to milk IcecreamCow, you wouldn't get milk or even Ice Cream.. You would blow up in a blaze of mass spawned tnt.. xD
    Cypher_Rahl likes this.
  8. I could give an example of "controlled" pvp, but that would also mean that I would be plugging another server.. So I will only be able to refer to it in general.. One of the prison servers I play on, has specific areas designated for pvp although pvp is "not allowed" that rule only applies when guards are around. The guards can jail you for catching you doing pvp, or for having weapons or armor. The areas where direct pvp is enabled is clearly marked, except in the donor block. However, indirect pvping still happens in the disabled areas such as catching someone in the mine and pushing them into a 2 deep hole with someone jumping in with you so you cant get away and then someone digs out a derp tunnel under you. Of course, there are people whom hack around the extra plugins in place to try to stop the hacking, etc etc.
  9. nope nope nope nope and nope!!! pvp was never in EMC and I think it still shouldn't be a pvp server! It would cause so many complaints in the chat and would be more work for the moderators that is not needed.
    RED_Spy1 likes this.
  10. or a pvp arena?
  11. It's so obvious when people don't read the whole OP.

Grats on being one of the few, reasonable sort. =] The 2 hour/1 hour length was exactly what I was think as well. That way say, 1 game can be hosted, last up idk 90 minutes than the other can be hosted 60 minutes into the other game. So we have a new game every hour, every 60 minutes.

For the most part people say NO to any PVP idea because they're under the mistaken impression that it will affect them somehow negatively whether they can do it or not. (Which is why I tell people to read the whole OP before casting/replying)

Anyway it's also that reason that I think people would generally disprove of rewards. Although I would love a little something, something. It would give new options to players to get EXP, and it would give builders something extra if could make a trophy to display some kind of unique trophy.
  12. No. Because PvP is retarded in Minecraft.
    migueldemesa and Skilled_Creeper like this.
  13. I think I got it. A separate server that is a hunger games hybrid, lets call it battle royale as it should be called. Everyone gets something random to start with, be it a dirt stack or a wooden sword. No diamond stuff.
    The game spans two hours after which all survivors are put in an arena for 15 minutes to finish each other off. That way no one can run constantly from others. The winner gets a small prize in EMC, perhaps 1000 rupees. Perhaps more.
    We can create a website connected to the server, with live map for spectators and players, and for people to register to the game. The game itself can have a CTF element were if you capture a flag you gain something, i.e.: armor or an enchantment table. It can also spawn catches along the map with stuff like tnt and weapons. It would create a dynamic experience in which players can play to their style.
    Also to add drama players can come as bystanders and the hunters have to be careful not kill them, killing a bystander would carry a penalty such as losing all items. Ok the bystander idea is bad but I am brainstorming here. There are no bad ideas just bad execution.
    There would be three leaderboards, most wins, most kills and a lifetime aggregate. Could also have most flags capture if that is instituted. I like the idea of turning into a mob to sneak up to people. Keep away from the chickens and kill everything that moves! Even the trees.
    I've been searching for server hosting services, so far I have seen two that I would work with. I have also checked out a few mods to use as plugins.
    A couple of members have offered their expertize and I know a few more people that can help set it up for a test. I would need to finish building my game computer to use as a test server or maybe rent one for a couple of days.
    It was kind of a blessing that my stuff was stolen, now I have an excuse to make a better custom machine and my wife wont complaint, I am missing my wii though.
    SecretAznEks and Cypher_Rahl like this.
  14. I think that having a separate PvP server on EMC would be a positive, fun addition to the servers. But my only concern is more of a practical issue. For the first few weeks, I could imagine the server being full, and all the sessions being totally full. However, I'm worried that the novelty would wear off after a few weeks, and it would be difficult to find people to compete against. Then, even if there were two or three people wanting a game, there wouldn't be enough people to run a session, which would be a pity.

If there's a practical solution to that, however, then I really hope that we'll have an organised PvP server in the future.
    Cypher_Rahl likes this.
  15. If there is a PvP then it shouldn't be in a arena but in a large land, pretty much like battlefield :D
  16. Best discussed on skype or another thread.
  17. I'll PM you my skype
  18. RULES FOR THIS THREAD:
    1. Read Op
    2. If yes explain why, if no then explain why
    3. ???
    4. Profit?
    5. Likes?
    7. Call me maybe?
    PandasEatRamen and Cypher_Rahl like this.
  19. No PvP.' Nuff said.