EMC needs PVP!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cypher_Rahl, Jun 7, 2012.

?

Should EMC implement PVP?

Yes! 48 vote(s) 30.6%
Nope. 109 vote(s) 69.4%
  1. At least there was a picture this time. ಠ__ಠ
    Please
    READ the op BEFORE replying.
  2. explanationforno.jpg
    I'm telling you NO. I also included a lengthy explanation in one single picture.
  3. How do you post a picture???
  4. Have you even read the Empire Commandments? NO PVP! so.... How about no?
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx likes this.
  5. There were two scenes from SAW in this...WINNING!
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx and roblikescake like this.
  6. To add a quick re-hash of what some people have said: One of the biggest compliment messages I get from players in private is how glad they are that a server finally made a fun survival that didn't include PVP in it. We have a very unique one of a kind experience here at EMC and don't want to ruin it by throwing in PVP. I'm not saying PVP couldn't be done right, but it doesn't fit in with our SMP secret sauce.

Justin and I have talked about this already and should we decide to explore the realm of making (and perfecting) the PVP world of Minecraft, it would be 100% separate from our SMP servers (pvp.empire.us for example, or whatever we'd call it).
    roblikescake likes this.
  7. The best part is that even if you disagree, it could not affect you anyway. Anyone who simply says 'NO' disregarded. Meh. Seeing the poll results and factoring that its about 50/50 right now.
  8. My god, im going to facepalm my face off. I suggested that. At least 1-2 people read what I wrote.
  9. ...
    Cypher_Rahl likes this.
  10. I think all of you are too negative towards the person who suggested this idea, the post saying 'no' is a pefect example as the person included no opinion explanation or reason.

I will be positive and negative so no one can troll/abuse/be a c*** towards me.

Positive: You suggested a 'designated' pvp area, this means that ONLY in a certain area can people who CHOOSE to pvp can participate in it, the person who suggested this idea did not say to turn the whole of EMC into a sword bashing kid crying fight zone, so read what he put before you infer this.

Negative: It's not my opinion, but others have the opinion that pvp ruins servers, the way that people abuse it by camping, use mass potions, sprint/hack to sprint and other annoying factors, these can get in the way of pvp fun.
    Cypher_Rahl likes this.
  11. You suggested we add PVP TO our SMPs. I'm saying the opposite. If/When we do PVP, it won't touch the SMP side of the game.
  12. It may have been discussed already, but I think most people instinctively reject any notion of PvP because they assume it to mean world PvP. The idea of organized PvP has been brought up before, I believe Jeremy had conducted some provisional research a while ago.

Personally I'm against world PvP, but organized PvP events could work well.

He suggested that the PvP be conducted on a separate server. It would not impact the regular SMP servers in any way.
    Cypher_Rahl likes this.
  13. OP Suggested having controlled pvp in designated areas.

Which would only not be completely pointless if you have this on existing servers.

If you do a separate pvp server, might as well openworld pvp with hunger games or w/e hosted on that pvp server occasionally.

It probably requires the presence of dedicated hosters to host those games, though.
  14. I must have misunderstood what he was going for then with:

(I.E. = smp3.pvp.empireminecraft.com, etc.)

To me, that implied that it would be connected with smp3.
    PThagaard, Cypher_Rahl and Dwight5273 like this.
  15. (I.E. = "smp3.pvp.empireminecraft.com", etc.) Better? I worded it like that beacause If there were PVP servers, I figured there would be a similar method of organization.

I suggested a lot of things. Ultimately its just in SOME way have PVP. ATM it's COMPLETELY disregarded. My question is very broad.

It makes me feel less crazy when people understand me. =P
  16. Why not just have Spleef Tournament Events?
    Cypher_Rahl likes this.
  17. Here's my stance on the idea:
    It won't work the way that a lot of the servers do it. By 'the way that a lot of the servers do it' I mean the idea that a whole world is PvP, and when a player joins the server, they will be disadvantaged by older players who are loaded with diamond armor and tools. I like the way that Cypher put it in his explanation of the situation, where everyone starts off with nothing, but that would require a little bit more detail, because if they were all put in the same place, it would just be a fistfight to the death with no swords or anything.

Here's my idea. A separate PvP server, with a small town spawn area (radius of 75 blocks) where you can't kill each other. Nothing can be vaulted in, nothing can be bought, everything has to come from mining in the wild. Everyone who joins will start in the spawn and read the rules of the server. After that, they are free to go venture out into the wild. However, to prevent them from going TOO far out, there would be some kind of invisible barrier like there is at the edge of town. In the wild, you can mine and get stuff, build bases, etc. Mobs would also be present, of course. Every player that logs into the PvP server will have their own sign in a Statistics room. In there, a sign would contain the name of the player, the amount of time spent on the PvP server, the number of deaths, and the number of kills. This way, people can get bragging rights in the same way that they can from TEXP, without joining once and logging out so they have 0 deaths. I guess it would work somewhat like CoD, with a K/D ratio and such. And maybe within this PvP server, we could have small, 2-6 person brawls with fighter kits like they have on arena servers, e.g. Tank, Knight, Chef, etc. And of course, once the whole fighting has started, you can't join, to protect new players.
    redwing2000 likes this.
  18. I assume he has the hunger games in mind most of the time, something like this, probably:

Its kind of like a designated instance where once set loose, you have a timelimit(or not) to spread out, procure resources, hunt n00bs, get teabagged, cry about h4x, cry about typekill, etc.

A general open world pvp then. :l though it's on a seperate server, it probably retains the problem of people loaded up in enchanted diamond gear owning up the new players, bedrock-deep trenches around spawn, xray, etc
  19. I have your solution. CHOOSE pvp by choosing another server!!!:)
  20. Your starting to sound mad and your irony towards the admins aint gonna get you anywhere.
    Dwight5273 likes this.