[DEBATE] Presidential Election - 2016 (closing Nov 22)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Erektus, Sep 9, 2015.

?

VOTE

Donald Trump (R) 138 vote(s) 50.0%
Hillary Clinton (D) 138 vote(s) 50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In the US you are better off not buying food from walmart in my experience. Aldi is better priced and kroger and cosco may not be much cheaper but offer much healthier alternatives. When it comes to basic comforts like bedding, toiletries, furniture, basic auto parts and other small purchase items, its rare to find a better value than walmart though. They offer a lot of the same products of other places at considerably lower prices. I don't know how we got to walmart but that's my two cents :)

As far as corporate welfare in the US though walmart isn't even a competitor. Boeing is by far the biggest leach in the American economy of course second to our war machine but works in cohorts with such. Auto manufacturers come in next with about 1/3 of the subsidies of Boeing but still in the several billions. Banks following close behind especially when the 2008 bailouts are taken into account. Many of the bank bailouts aren't even represented in most data because their welfare is sometimes referred to as a "loan" but there is no practical way to enforce repayment so to call it that is just wordplay. Ford and GM also went down that road with "loans" to bail them out and those figures also don't get accounted for. People rage about buying American cars over here when nissan, toyota, hyundai and kia, while being foreign owned have been less of a leach on the economy and still manufacture their vehicles in the US. Hyundai in recent years has been a God send to the American economy as kias name started to fall under the radar. Offering cheap high quality products and bringing jobs to the country.
  2. Well, you can blame China all you want, but at the end of the day every developed nation needs to step up and be responsible with their emissions. China is terrible becuase they produce so much in terms of exports but that doesn't mean the USA is clean either.

I agree people can buy more at Walmart than they can at a local grocer, that is fact. Another fact though is that 18% of food stamps in the US are spent at Walmart. That is $14 Billion. I believe in the year this was all looked at Walmart made $17 Billions in profits after all was said and done. Their own employees spend food stamps at the store. It undeniably is a vicious cycle. You say Walmart helps the poor, but if Walmart stepped up a bit there might just not be so many poor people.
    SoulPunisher, Pab10S and Dr_Chocolate like this.
  3. Do you guys have zero hour contracts over there? We have them here and they're some of the worst things to ever exist lol.
  4. You make a religious statement and then you say don't make religious statements. That's kinda funny. When it comes down to coveting wealth I think we all know where Christ came down on the side of. If you are saying someone making money and giving it to the poor you are correct, Christ would approve of that. I don't think I am making some sort of offending statement saying that. I hope.
    TuckerAmbr and Lance2013 like this.
  5. I just wanted to out my two cents on the "we as christrians support big businesses."

I'm a Christian and while I support communal stimulation through fair economic trade I don't support global corporatization or walmart.

That is all
  6. When it comes to climate change neither party in the US wants to address it like other countries do. Of course, unlike China, Russia, the UK, France, and pretty much every other country in the world they don't have the republican party that say all scientists in the world are in a conspiracy against them with the democrats. That has got to be the most absurd thing I have ever seen. And before the republicans jump on me and say "there is absolutely no evidence of climate change", which they will. Consider one of your idols, George Dubwa said 10 years ago that it is real. Do you really want to go against him?
    TuckerAmbr likes this.
  7. Lol climate is something we can observe ourselves. Why are we are looking to politicians about the climate when we can look at the sky and go outside. In my 28 years living I have seen no difference in the weather. Republicans aren't saying it and to say it is a US thing is silly. Almost all the articles I read about climate change denying comes out of the UK.
    Lance2013 and DH32 like this.
  8. That's great because if all those thousands of scientists are correct the UK will cease to exist. The melting of the ice plates will cause the sea level to increase to the extent that the entire British Isles will be under water.
    TuckerAmbr likes this.
  9. *cough* thousand of scientists? Please enlighten me because as far as I have seen the scientists that are referred to often dont exist or are "graphical data" I still haven't seen an actual scientist preaching on global warming. Only politicians and law makers.

Edit: I said scientists, actors don't count. Niel degrasse and bill nye are the latter not the former
    Lance2013 and DH32 like this.
  10. Do a lot of your picnics get rained on? I put my trust in a type of scientist we call meteorologists. I do find it amazing that you can make observations about something like global warming from your location that contradict over 100 years of meteorological and satellite data.

Since you just ruled out a couple of guys who have science degrees(one with a PhD), I wonder what credentials exactly will satisfy you if he does not agree with the astute scientific observations you have made out in your backyard in your 28 long and wise years.

My previous post linked to sites that are among many others that employ thousands of people with scientific degrees who get out of their scientific beds every morning, take scientific showers, and go to do their scientific jobs every morning by taking scientific measurements and making scientific observations of scientific phenomena that you cannot see outside your back door. Please try reading and perhaps think about some of it.
    So far it sounds like you TL;DR'd it since I do not see any posts refuting the amount of gases released into the air each year, for example, yet continue to make posts refuting the whole idea.
    What many of your posts make me think is that you are only here for causing drama instead of honest discussion. I actually agree with you on some points, like the role of business and government in causing many of our problems. Where you and I part ways is that I do not think they are inherently evil or good as they do not have minds or consciences and are instead controlled by many people whose motives vary.

Rather than you throwing a bunch of words out and hoping to overwhelm us with your unsupported generalities, let's try this: For every quote from a person with a scientific degree you can come up with who does not support it, I will find one who does. Let's see if you are up to it without resorting to a bunch of tobacco or petroleum schills.

Here's one to start you off:
    David Suzuki PhD
    - The truth is, as most of us know, that global warming is real and humans are major contributors, mainly because we wastefully burn fossil fuels.

- The damage that climate change is causing and that will get worse if we fail to act goes beyond the hundreds of thousands of lives, homes and businesses lost, ecosystems destroyed, species driven to extinction, infrastructure smashed and people inconvenienced.

Here's another to be generous. No need to conserve as I am sure I can find plenty more:
    Stephen Hawking PhD
    - The danger is that global warming may become self-sustaining, if it has not done so already. The melting of the Arctic and Antarctic ice caps reduces the fraction of solar energy reflected back into space, and so increases the temperature further. Climate change may kill off the Amazon and other rain forests, and so eliminate once one of the main ways in which carbon dioxide is removed from the atmosphere. The rise in sea temperature may trigger the release of large quantities of carbon dioxide, trapped as hydrides on the ocean floor. Both these phenomena would increase the greenhouse effect, and so global warming further. We have to reverse global warming urgently, if we still can.

I await your usual well worded, well supported, and thoughtful response.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  11. Your signature, in this context, has made me laugh.
    FoxyRavenger likes this.
  12. He dropped out of Harvard not 11th grade intensive reading.
    Empire_Rule likes this.
  13. Most of them don't think like that though. And as long as our general populace wants it, there will be steps taken towards reducing CO2 emissions and other pollutants pumped into the air. Which we do. Besides, the Met Office controls that stuff and they sure as hell believe in climate change.

Personally though you can just increase the sea level so England drowns. I wouldn't really care, that part of the UK is full of idiots and people who think the UK will be a superpower like the US if we leave the EU (it's the exact opposite). Just keep Wales, Scotland and Ireland safe though ;)
  14. Sorry, but that is wrong.
    If the sea level rose, a large area would be under water, as the sea would rise by approximately 60 metres.
    However, there are also large areas of the UK with a high altitude and the mean altitude is 162m.
    Places that would go: most of eastern Britain, the south east and a small bit of the far south and west. London would also be submerged.
    Places that wouldn't: Cornwall, the centre of Britain, running from north to south and Scotland.
    That isn't all of Britain.
    But also, climate change would happen over decades, if it even happens at all.
    If it even is real, which I disbelieve, it would not happen over night in climageddon.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  15. I was referring more to a potential sudden increases in sea level from ice shelves melting enough they descend into the sea and displace a large amount of water. I have read there are many scientists that believe that will be coming sooner. I'm no scientist though.
    TuckerAmbr likes this.
  16. Since I put a lot of effort towards presenting factual information in my posts rather than posting cartoons or unsupported generalities, I take that as a compliment.

Carl Sagan PhD
    - We are perturbing our poor planet in serious and contradictory ways. Is there any danger of driving the environment of the Earth toward the planetary Hell of Venus or the global ice age of Mars? The simple answer is that nobody knows. The study of the global climate, the comparison of the Earth with other worlds, are subjects in their earliest stages of development. They are fields that are poorly and grudgingly funded. In our ignorance, we continue to push and pull, to pollute the atmosphere and brighten the land, oblivious of the fact that the long-term consequences are largely unknown.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.