(Suggestion) Controversal section in emc discord

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by aletrisrex, Apr 20, 2022.

1. How about we talk this in real time? Easily, right?
    EMC is friendly enviroment which everyone's speech is equality, no matter who u are.
    This chat section will have same excatly as emc forums, means it will restricted and only admin group will approve you into chat. You will need to opt-in instead it avalible to everyone
  2. ik that. but how about we talk these thing in live chat instead of interval like forums
    p/s: the link u clicked are non exists
  3. Long ago controversial forum wasn't opt in. It was switched to opt in so that those wanting to stay away from it could do so easily.(If I'm remembering correctly, its been a while)

I don't see it being added as a space on the EMC discord, because it would/could get wildly out of hand. The things in the controversial threads can lead to very intense conversation that is not just fact driven, but also passion driven. Feelings can and probably often do get hurt. I personally don't believe it would add anything to the community to let us have voice controversial topics going on(its also harder to keep an eye on from a staff perspective.).

I do understand where you are coming from with wanting a voice channel on discord for it, it can be easier sometimes to communicate what you are trying to say in voice rather than text. Still probably not the best idea though...
  4. I don't think this would be good. Whether you are suggesting a text channel or a voice channel: Discord chat goes too fast to discuss controversial topics in such a broad community. People need to take their time reading and writing, lest conversations escalate.
  5. I've made posts in the controversial section that I've flipped through textbooks for or have otherwise spent up to an hour Googling information for.

I've had people who don't know what they're talking about discuss things with me and accidentally - sometimes purposely - made insensitive comments that I've had to step back from for a second so I don't make an impassioned response.

Forums allow for long-form, well-researched posts to be made in debates that move as fast as their participants want them to. I cannot imagine Discord discussions having that level of quality debate and civility.

There were several incidents in the controversial section a while back where certain users made some comments about the LGTBQ+ community that drew impassioned responses from myself and a few other members, and the posts all got closed down because they devolved into smorgasbords of the most disrespectful and hateful comments you can make on EMC without getting banned. Discord discussions would be that but worse. The topics would move a million-miles-a-minute, devolve into name-calling, only being briefly interrupted by xXFurry_Lover69Xx spamming the most offensive memes you've ever seen because they think that's what the section is for.

The forum's controversial section is also opt-in so people who don't want to see any of it don't, and also so that literal children don't get dogpiled on when they say something stupid or worse - get groomed. I cannot imagine the mess that would happen when someone on Discord shoves a child down some alt-whatever pipeline and EMC gets blamed by some parents when their child starts spewing racist vitriol over the dinner table.
    MissBonnieParker and 607 like this.