Consider joining the Frontier Clean-up Crew!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Aug 11, 2016.

1. That's a very good point. Keep me apprised of when something will happen. As far and dirt and stone to use, have we been storing it up somewhere? We will need a boatload of it. I have approximately 10 dcs of dirt I can contribute.
    AyanamiKun, Kytula and ShelLuser like this.
  2. What seems like a good idea(if the staff are properly trained on the use of WorldEdit) is to just select a certain region, then use //normalize on the selected region. That way, people's bases above ground stay intact, and the only part that disappears is what's below ground(which shouldn't be there anyway).
  3. Which SMP do you most often play on? SMP2.
    Which Frontier are you best familiar with (the areas around the EMC outposts)? I have done quite a bit in the frontier on SMP1, and am semi-farmiliar with the south outpost on SMP8.
    Have you (tried to) restore/clean-up areas before? If yes: what did you do? Well...
    Before:

Terraformed:
    After:
    :D Not to brag, but this was a solo project.
    Why do you want to join up? I love terraforming and making the world a better place (in game and IRL) and I think players should be able to play in a nice environment, not a potholed, creeper-infested war scene, like the first picture.
    ShelLuser, AyanamiKun and God_Of_Gods like this.
  4. Looks great but I have to ask, why did you leave the dirt up in the air? The stair or whatever it is.
  5. maybe b/c it was already there, if u remove it staff could think u griefed.
    God_Of_Gods likes this.
  6. I think restoring damage can be more easy now with block protection. but that can also be a problem.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  7. Because it was being used still (as a head farm), and I didn't want to remove something still in use.
    AyanamiKun and God_Of_Gods like this.
  8. It took me longer than anticipated (also because of the short heatwave in Holland last weekend) but I made the first draft of the list. I'll be re-reading the whole thread in a few days, finalize the list and then start the PM to see what we can do from there.

Right now we roughly covered smp1, smp2, smp3, smp5, smp6 and smp9 and I think it's a very good turnout so far.

I also remembered what I forgot in my first post. I think a very important thing to look out for when doing restorations is bias. Sometimes you may not like an existing building, but even so it is still part of the scenery and therefor should be treated as such, even though it might be tempting to change this thing completely so that you like it a bit better.

Example: I'm fairly active in the /wild w on SMP2. There's a ruin there which I'm slowly restoring, and there's a wooden "skywalk" made out of slabs. Personally I think the skywalk could be 're-purposed', also because it casts a shadow on the lower areas which sometimes infest those with mobs.

But that skywalk has been there for ages already (heavily griefed too, I just finished gathering more fences and slabs for its repair). So despite my personal opinion I'm restoring it, side fences and all. Of course I'll also be thinking about a nice solution / feature for the shadow areas, but that's for later.

I'm aware of the option but there's a serious flaw with this approach: biome's aren't fully fixed to the map and can even change when Minecraft gets upgraded to a new version. Theoretically it's not impossible for a current savanna biome to be changed into a mesa biome after an upgrade. And then you can get some seriously unwanted results if you rely on tools which only take the current biome into account. Repairs could look severely out of place, sometimes making the 'damage' even worse than it was before.
    khixan likes this.
  9. Well I decided to fix up what was a place I made awhile a go on smp3. It had been griefed a few times, so I eventually let it be.
    Though now with buildmode I've rebuilt it all from the ground up. so Now once again i have a home out on smp3.

This is a clean up project area. The top dirt layer keeps getting destroyed showing the awful mining that tore through the land.

I'll rebuild this place one house at a time. It'll be a tiny village that no-one but I can destroy.
    khixan and ShelLuser like this.
  10. i play in smp1 in town mostly and I'm most familiar with the smp1 frontier as i go there alot and ive filled up holes in plains before but i never have enough dirt. i barely have enough dirt to fill up a creeper hole! I want to join this group because i think the beauty of the landscape is important and we should keep it that way

ShelLuser, Lomax70 and Kytula like this.