[Coming Soon] You've Been Scammed!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nfell2009, Aug 18, 2012.

1. That's for Max and/or Aikar to decide. Well, at least filming it on here will be their decision, being mods and such.
  2. This right here is what I was afraid of.. We can't support actual scamming, even if it's for educational purposes.
    Scamming of any kind is not okay. I'm sorry, but I've got to say that this is a bad idea, and is not acceptable on EMC.

This would cause us a buttload of issues; anyone could start scamming players and say "Oh, I was doing it for educational purposes."
    10101Link10101 likes this.
  3. Yeah...this idea can't happen, I'm sorry. The exact way you would be doing it would be breaking some of our core rules.
    10101Link10101 likes this.
  4. That's a very good point. Perhaps we could simply re-enact scams, with everyone aware of whats happening, with materials donated, so nobody is harmed.
  5. I thought it was re-enacting. Hence thename "Re-Enactor"
  6. The idea that I think they're getting at is that as much as you're educating people AGAINST being scammed, you're educating potential scammers and giving them a way to take advantage of someone and make some cash in the process.
    JackBiggin likes this.
  7. Maybe you would need to film it outside of EMC on someone else's server (I'll volunteer mine of its needed)
  8. I thought the idea was just re enacting scams for entertainment. It would be funny if some comedy was added to the script.
  9. umm we will scam our own alt acccounts and ask ppl for permission before filming
  10. also can someone else comfort the mods that we are only scamming out alt accounts and soon im trying to layout the show.
  11. By "Scamming people" we mean that to show how people can get scammed then give them EVERYTHING they have lost back and ask "Do you want this to appear in You've Been Scammed?" if they so no then it wont come up, or we will get the reenactors to do it, the reenactors were ment to be for just showing what happened to X person without revealing them
    prof_genius likes this.

12. Watch some of that, thats what we want it to be like
  13. well emc has the rupee system and i already have a plan of what servers like smp1 than smp 8 to film
  14. Guys, the IceCreamCone has spoken. They don't want it filmed here on EMC unless its changed.
  15. I have now set prof_genius as second in command for the whole project.
  16. Well what can we do? We will have to use the reenactors but the other purpose for scamming is showing that people can be scammed and we dont just make it up
  17. You have been accepted
  18. This slot is full sorry try with a different role please

You have been accepted

Im now going round the thread (4 pages :p) to check that everyone is listed and into convo 1 or 2
  19. Since I've been beaten to the thread by quite a few people, I'm probably going to sound like I'm repeating them. However, I just want to get my opinion out there. Prepare for a novel...

I get why you want to do the idea. If people see the scam then they'll know how to avoid it if they encounter it. However, you're not just helping the victim, you're helping the scammer.

On the real life version of the show, I'm 99.999% sure that some key parts of the scam are omitted so that no-one can actually repeat the scam. These parts seem to be the preparation of the scam. However, most scams in online games/Minecraft require little to no preparation - they're as simple as knowing how to do it and talking a few minutes to find a victim and do the deed.

Now, potential scammers could watch the videos and learn how to scam people. Obviously this isn't the intent, but it's what could happen. For example, say Justin had a feud with Jeremy. Justin could watch the videos and learn how to scam Jeremy out of all his rupees, and do so. Now Jeremy would be annoyed at this and things would escalate.

I get that the idea of the series is to help people to not get scammed. However, at the end of the day, you are scamming people while making it. You may ask after scamming them if you can show the video, but you've still scammed them. You may give their items back, but you've still scammed them.

Now, say that you scam the 8 year old version of Shaun. Since you asked him after scamming him, and you gave his items back. He might think it's okay to find someone else and copy what you did, after all, it was for educational purposes. If the person reported him, he might get confused and say he did it to educate himself.

So yeah, I get that you've got good intentions and want to help others. I can just see this causing more harm than intended...

EDIT: You've pretty much said it yourself:
    That's the first line of the OP and I think it sums up what I'm saying nicely. You're showing the scams - to everyone. Not just potential victims. Everyone. A long time scammer could easily watch the videos and learn the "new scams".

EDIT 2: My fears are pretty much confirmed here:
    The bit underlined is what I'm worried about the most. You are still scamming people. Sure, it's not for personal gain, but you're still scamming them. If you get the wrong person then they will copy you, and when they appeal, who's going to get the blame for showing them how to do it? And just tricking random people into it.... I just don't agree with that, it's almost as bad as scamming someone normally.
  20. After reading through that I will change it so that we WONT do it to people X we will do use our reeactors and put a message:

"This scam was used with our reenactors, DO NOT TRY THIS IN GAME!"

anything else?
    mba2012 likes this.