Chat improvements

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JustinGuy, Apr 6, 2012.

1. He fixed it, LOL.

Than he could have posted it to me privately.
  2. I actually really, really like the idea of people who swearing getting fined.

That would be a fantastic little plugin.

"oh ..... this"
    - You are fined 100 Rupees for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute -
    "What the ......"
    - You are fined 200 Rupees for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute -
    "You're ....... me!"
    - You are hereby sentenced to one days hard labour in the EMC tunnels -

Player then gets TP'd to a prison and that's them out the game for 24hrs.

Totally off topic, but I love it!
    Terr, Yukon1200, nab27 and 4 others like this.
  3. You're on a forum where others are gonna reply to what you have to say so expect them to do so.

1. I like the Trade idea because I hate my chat being spammed with "Cum 2 my res to buy dimond 200 rupees" about 40 times.
    2.Friend channel I like too but how would that work? Just able to talk to those we follow on the forum?
    3.Help I like.Even though we have /help I guess it could work.
    4.Cooldown wouldn't work if you were having a conversation.

As for the Online/Offline I like that idea. Would be helpful instead of trying to scroll through. Plus I think that adds to "who buys/sells this?" being spammed. And it's a pain when the server takes a dump like it has been with the issues like today with Mojang.
  4. Good ideas for new channels!
  5. I was quoting Cypher actually, I don't think it quoted right.
  6. Or it was me didn't see it, I don't remember now :/
  7. Some of the issues here I have taken care of in my chat mod:
    * (dis)connected messages - are all sent to a server tab so you dont have to see them
    * replying fast to /tells - each /tell conversation now has its own tab, you can just type back without needing to /tell playername or anything ( same for town/local/supporter chat - just type in the right tab )
    * shop messages - sent only to the server tab so they dont interrupt regular chat

I should have a version out today of the new mod for people to try. Im just looking now at what mods will conflict. Also I have a small problem that the mod only works for EMC but will be active for all servers (which isnt desirable if you play on other servers - which Im sure you dont :p )
  8. Maybe JustinGuy can add a command such as '/status off' to make it so you don't see when someone changes thier online status (disconnecting or connecting) and the '/status on' to view these notifications. Just a thought but I think this would work :D
  9. Than except to be treated in like tone.

It wouldn't be that hard. Kind of like how you have an ignore and perm list you'd simply add one for friends. /friend add. ./friend remove

I want to once again add that it won't be introduced into the next modification for the anal ones.

In scope and detail it usually is insufficient.

Had to facepalm here. You aren't supposed to have conversations in town chat. You ever been to the grocery store or something and there was some loud obnoxious person on a cell phone saying pointless things you don't need to know? That is exactly what happens to everyone else on the server, in Town chat. It's annoying. Town chat is where people should post something they think is relevant to EVERYONE in town. 99/100 it's pointless gobbledygook.
  10. So basically what you're saying is there's no need for town chat? Not sure what server you're on but people on my server have conversations most of the time.
    cnicholls_uk likes this.
  11. I agree with this. We're a very social community and I find that the random conversations that happen in town are always fun to be a part of. It may not be common. I haven't been part of many communities other than the ones I've helped run. Is it not common for general chit-chat to be accepted in the main chats of other servers/games? I much prefer it this way myself. Seems to work for the Empire.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  12. I know on SMP7 There are several people who usually have conversations in main chat. That's what I like. If people get annoying then I /ignore *name* to ignore them and then as I go I /ignore *name* to check if they're done being a pain. Sometimes we even ask them to carry their stuff to local if it's gonna be a thing they repeatedly talk in. Some reason some players seem to forget they can go from town to local.
  13. Some? probably 95%. I guess I picked the server where all the 8 year olds want to go than. Seriously- the banter isn't amusing. It's annoying. Its a pandemic. I like the conversation maybe 10% of the time. Thats not enough where I feel like I should know everything everyone has to say. And if the town chat has to eb full of useless blather than I hope the other channels are implemented at least. I could still help people and buy/sell without the frustration of; "Will u b wife?" "lolz help me i cant get wood" "somu1 plz give me 1000r" "whos wants be my wife?" "cheap prices at my store" "i like ur skin" hey [balnkname] dont do that" etc.
  14. Social is one thing, obnoxious another. I've spoke to several people (with /tell) that have town indefinitely turned off because they don't want to be accused of attempted suicide when they finally facepalm themselves a tad too hard. Don't compare MC or EMC to other games. I personally believe, a higher standard should always be a goal. At the moment 'other games' also have multiple channels and easy ways to pick and choose who you want to listen to. This game's chat takes up roughly 25% of the screen and is basically all or nothing with the gossip.
  15. I haven't seen much of the obnoxious stuff myself. And remember, we do have the /ignore feature for when you do find someone obnoxious.
  16. I'll be sure to keep a random 10 minute dialogue recorded of how chat goes.

The problem with /ignore is; I occasionally deal with, and want to help people. Each server, for the most part, is a small community- if I start ignoring someone every time they have a personal conversation or spam the chat, my store would have next to no business.

In an ideal situation everyone could use /tell and /local appropriately and my personal issue (that other people relate to) would mostly be non-existent.
  17. I've sat and watched for thirty minutes now and have yet to see obnoxious chat.

Town chat is there for people to interact in a game that's not really that suited to social interaction. It may sound odd, but it's not. The current vanilla chat interface in no way aids in creating a sociable atmosphere. Once people start shouting out shop adverts, asking for help, answering queries, you've got very little scope to have a fluid conversation.

So that's exactly what Town chat is, a cauldron of verbal snippets from people, most of which are irrelevant but which are accessible by everyone.

Town chat is how almost every single friendship is founded on EMC. Most people in the Wild will use Local chat unless they're keeping something secret.

Why?

Because the /tell system is a pain in the backside. I've tried having conversations in /tell with more than two people and to be frank, it's a nightmare. Constantly starting and stopping /tell conversations, can't do the quick-reply because it might go to the wrong person, etcetc, so I'll often, if dealing with lots of people, use the global chat to carry on my half of the conversation.

Until the chat system gets a huge overhaul involving the GUI as well, it'll probably remain that way.

Really? When there are over 60 people on at a time with more coming and going, I don't consider it that small. Spread your activity over several timezones like I tend to do and it suddenly becomes quite big.

You'd be surprised how many people you can /ignore and still have plenty of folk left to interact with.

In an ideal situation there'd be no cries of: "I'M LOST HLEP MEH!" or "AARGH CREEPERS!" or people swearing, or griefing, or simply not understanding the game and how EMC runs it.

Unfortunately, it's not an ideal world, and I'm quite happy to have people use Town chat for most of their chit-chat. It brings people in, gets people involved and someone who would never have become involved in a project did because they saw it being discussed at length in Town chat.

I use /ignore aggressively, and whilst I'm happy to retract an /ignore decision if it was just for them taking up space in the chat, then so be it, but otherwise, neah, I stand by it and my chatting experience is probably better for it.
  18. my computer doesn't like to have anything else running when i have minecraft up, it makes everything go soooooo slow... =[
  19. Try 6pm-6am Est. That time slot does it. And apparently smp3.

And thus a mess that needs to be fixed and regulated. (Which is attempted at some lengths, and the origins of this thread to improve)

It is a pain. But at the moment it's what we have to work with. Although I have zero problems handling it. typing /tell cyp (for my name) or /tell kil (for yours) is easy enough. PLus if the conversation is that intense I could hope over to the area where you are and have no issues. the /qm feature also aids in my quick statement needs.

You mean any given time within any 24 hours isn't spread out? Don't get fallacious on me now. The community as a whole still seems small to me. I comparing this to things like bnet, which is one gigantic player base. Starcraft II.

Not necessarily. Ideally you can't expect a person to change. They're gonna be noobs no matter what. But you can change the way they go about things in a small details. So ideally the system which is prone to change would reflect appropiately to the player base. Much like having a res disables people from griefing (mostly), something as say a town 'cooldown' would help get the idea across spam is bad.

You're happy? unfortunately, it's not an ideal world, I'm quite disappointed that people abuse town chat for most of their chit chat. It alienates people, frustrates some and someone who might have been involved is rendered completely unknown because they had town chat on 'off'.

That is what I'm forced to do. A game philosophy should never be; "just deal with it" as no standing game lasts with that. It should be; "if you want". If I don't like the rhetoric- than I should still be able to help the people that need help, sell the items i need to sell, hire the people I need to hire, without the drama, the gossip, and the other lines of text that serve as a streamline for an unending facepalm bonanza.

I EDITED to reaffirm I'm not AGAINST town chat. I'm against the misuse of town chat. And I'm FOR the implementation of improvements.
  20. Oh- aw. :( If you really want to talk cross server maybe use some IRC chat on a very old school site. It takes next to nothing on a computer 10 years old let alone something that runs today. If you can't find one I'll help. =]