Can't name guardians

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Mob_Meal, Apr 25, 2017.

1. I have posted about this issue before, but I was unsure if there were other named entities in the area. I have now tried to name a guardian in my main base area & I get a prompt that says "you can not name this entity". I have a 360 block perimeter for my base & there is no evidence of other players for over 1,000 blocks. I further tested it by using the same nametag on a nearby skeleton and it was successful.

Is there a reason guardians may not be named or is this an oversight in the code somehow? This was a regular guardian (NOT an Elder Guardian). The wiki says that you may have up to 5 named entities in an area, it does not list an exclusion for guardians (only ghasts).
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. So I've done what I often do: try to look into it. I found your thread ;) And just to cut to the chase and avoid possible discussions I've also dug up Aikars comment where he said to allow us to name up to 5 entities.

Judging from all that I'm not too sure the ability to name mobs has anything to do with entity counts. I always read it as being able to name 5 mobs of your own, after which another player can do the same thing.

I also noticed that I promised you to look into this myself back then but didn't follow up. That was mostly because I couldn't manage to get hold of a guardian to name (of course I did get close to guardians when I didn't have a nametag on me :rolleyes:).

Right now I can't help wonder if this is a glitch as well. It seems a bit illogical, also because unlike elder guardians regular guardians aren't considered to be bosses.
  3. There is a limit of 5 named entities within a ranged area around the player. Also, Guardians cannot be name tagged. I will see about updating the wiki on that exclusion.

HTH
    ShelLuser likes this.
  4. May inquire as to a reason we can't name guardians? Just curious. It seems illogical since you can name other hostile mobs.
    ShelLuser likes this.