Calling Modern Web Designers - Rewards!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Aug 11, 2014.

1. @media only screen and (max-width: 768px)
    body {margin: 0px;}
    wrapper {min-width;0px; width: auto;}
    content {margin-left: 0px; }
    nav {flote: none;
    width: auto;
    padding: 0px;}
    nav ul {text-align: center;}
    nav li {padding: 0px 0.75px 0px;}
    section {padding: 0px; }
    content ul {clear:both; padding-top: 1em;}
    mobile {display: inline;}
    desktop{display:none}
    }
    @media only screen and (max-width: 480px) {
    lable { float:left; text-align: left; }
    body {margin: 0px; }
    wrapper {width:auto; min-width;0px;}
    content {padding: .1em 1em .1em;margin: 0px; font-size: 90%;}
    nav ul{width: auto;
    padding: 0px;}
    nav li {display: inline-block;
    width: 5em;
    font-size:120%;
    text-aligne: center;
    box-shadow: 2px #330000;
    background-color: #F5F5DC;
    margin: 1%;
    padding: 2.5%;}
    nav {display: block;}
    content img {float: false;
    padding: 0px;
    margin: 0.1em;}
    elements {padding: 0px;}
    section img {display:none}
    mobile {display: inline;}
    desktop{display:none}
    }
    Here is little code for mobiles, you'll still have to add your other elements and remove the box shadow colors if you don't want them but hope this helps. Top ones for tablets, bottom for mobile.
  2. So um...not able to work on this, but so far after Aikar has been tucking random stuff in tabs, I've not had any complaints about mobile other than Login being over the "connect.emc" link and alerts making me click the ad and everything else when I try to view them. If there's a way to move the blue arrow from over the red arrow, that would be awesome.
    Equinox_Boss and eklektoi like this.
  3. I'll try to see if I can do anything. I am a bit rusty, but that stops nothing.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. To fix that the #LoginBar just needs to be moved a tad :D
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. And the large amount of ads that seem to be on mobile devices... especially the one between the username and password box - that makes it practically impossible to login on mobile because it cuts off the password. >_>
  6. Personally - and this is my opinion... re-sizing for mobile ...using only css...isn't enough.

Mobiles are smaller devices and don't need all the information displayed that desktops display...

You can technically* have certain divs that are named, if the device is detected as a mobile or tablet, be displayed as none... so they don't appear... and vice versa from desktop version... which helps greatly....however, a method I see that would benefit adding onto this... it perhaps would take longer... but is more effective ... is to have mobiles be redirected to a mobile version of the site (its own folder) ... tablets could be resized from the regular site and just have some features disabled... but mobiles have certain scripts wrote particularly for them to function correctly...

like for example:
    mobiles have no hover... instead they need all sub categories displayed individually
    to go about doing that - would be collapsible buttons

mobile versions switch screens differently than computers... instead of loading from top down - or in a new tab... mobiles will scroll a new screen to the right - even if it's not in a new tab....
    So the loading or links need to be adjusted accordingly

frames... some devices and older mobiles don't support frames... which xenforo has a lot of...

links - default links when clicked will come up saying 'do you want to open this in a new tab...' etc...
    using for example java or jquery can have it function differently and just open it without asking.
  7. ?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. Wouldn't it be easier to have an https://m.empiremincraft.com redirect when mobile is detected and having a separate page setup for the mobile page..?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. A frame is when the web page is divided up into sections - and only one section is changed at a time ..... like if you have a navigation... body... footer...

Then you click a link - the body will change, but the rest does not... that is an example of a frame

Certain browsers and mobile devices does not support frames, and requires the noframes version

----

Was saying that's why using the default site for a mobile - and just resizing - is not necessarily always a good solution.
    Equinox_Boss and PenguinDJ like this.
  10. I know what a frame is. As far as I know, Xenforo doesn't include a single one.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  11. 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

A few of those are for container objects ... some are for firefox browsers ... and a few are for inline frames

xenforo - does have frames :p they have just been added (except for google tags) through javascript.
    Equinox_Boss and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  12. All of what you said is possible with pure CSS and JS. I could do this request myself, I'm just trying to save time.
    You can hide content that is not relevant for mobile, such as controls, or even move controls.

I just recently re-designed Square for Mobile Access, and 90% of my changes was pure CSS. The only HTML I had to change was adding some buttons to "Panelize" the information to make it quicker to access.
    http://screencloud.net/v/tJKO

Those specific frames are definitely not in use on the site, as no modern site uses them.

But I will respectively disagree with the last statement. Redesigning the display of your content is the right solution :)

Building Responsive designs is the preferred solution for mobile access in my career now.
    Also, there are no content frames in use.
    http://screencloud.net/v/xoKQ

These frames are used for communication and delayed page loading (tracking scripts) and have no real bearing on the pages content.

But, it doesn't matter because all modern mobile browsers do support iframes, its just they are broken in use for content access with scrolling. however these frames are not used for content, so its perfectly fine.

This was the old way of doing things, which is bad and a waste of time.

Developers learned its more effecient and productive to simply have 1 version of the site that looks consistent between devices, by simply laying it out in a fashion that can "respond" to the size of the window (hence responsive web design)

It would take us 4 million times longer to develop a side site (outside of the generic tapatalk) than it would be to simply write some effecient CSS.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. All I see is tech talk and giving items that disobey the eula >.>
    sambish20 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  14. I have to disagree... the only thing that would remotely take awhile, and that's just because no one but you has access to it, is the information for a recordset and dynamic text from an sql database to make a php display for recent threads, user logins, registrations, user profiles, rupee history, pms, exp history, ticket history, and other small user related things such as profile images, likes, etc.

In Web Design II - they teach you how to make websites specifically for mobile versions... Using jquery it only took me maybe a few hours (if that).

So asking for a mobile version and receiving something within a few hours might not occur... but give a few days and someone could have a complete write-up of a mobile site.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  15. The EULA states that players should not have to "pay to win". Giving vouchers out for free is not paying to win as the prize is free, the prices for the vouchers are just used to limit how many the winner can have and of which voucher that may be :)
  16. k
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  17. If only I took that website design class in school... I could help you Aikar ;-;
  18. I learned here: codecademy.com/
    You should really try it.
    sambish20 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  19. okay it sounds really fun... could be a good learning experience for me. Thank you!
    melk73, Equinox_Boss and porphos like this.
  20. Wow, this is super generous of you, Aikar. :) Can't wait to see the new mobile website! :D
    Equinox_Boss likes this.