Buying orebuster!

Discussion in 'Products, Businesses, & Services Archives' started by Marshmallow369, Oct 13, 2014.

1. I agree with azoundria.The eff.3 unbr.3 diamond pick yelds the best profit, including current costs of picks, compared to holiday pick and ore buster.

Tho im using iron voters pick with looting 3 enchant, ore yelds diamonds without any resistance (haha joke :p)
  2. Any benefit the Holiday Pick has isn't realized until the Ore Buster breaks (more than 6,000 uses) PLUS the time it would take for the Holiday Pick to make up for the fact that the Ore Buster produced more diamonds for 5,000 ore after it became more profitable than the Holiday Pick (after 1,000 ore mined). That'd take eons. lol
  3. The math shows that you're wrong unless you hardly mine any diamond ore at all, in which case you shouldn't be considering buying an Ore Buster for use in the first place.
  4. Ok, lets say i have enchanted pick with Unbreaking 3 and Fortune 3 enchants, and 20 stacks of diamond ore.
    According to azundria, you get 2,2 diamonds per ore with the enchanted pick (fortune 3) and 3,14 diamonds with Ore Buster(fortune 5).

It ts worth to mention that i usually do not break ore in mine, but in town, for better logistic - ore takes less space in inventory. So time of breaking is not the matter in this case, only the profit you get per each pick with that ore quanity.

20 stacks of ore = 1280 ores. price of diamond , lets say 72r.
    - with enchanted pick you get 1280*2,2*72 = 202752r - 5000r (pick cost) = 197 752 r
    - with ore buster you get 1280*3.14*72 = 289382r - 100 000r (pick cost) = 189 382 r

So with at least 22 or 23 stacks of diamond ore you get (slightly) better profit with Ore Buster than cheap enchanted fortune 3 pick. Any lower quanity than that, cheap pick wins and you can't cheat math :).

So far i collected only 6 stacks of diamond ore... im not a pro miner, but i think it takes some longer time to get 20 stacks of diamond ore (like at least month or two of heavy mining).
    For calculations, maxed enchanted pick cost and minimized Ore buster cost, but unbr.3 fortune 3 diamond pick costs me like 15 emeralds - 12 for pick at smith villager, 3 for enchant from priest villager (wich also renews the pick durability) So fortune 3 pick cost = 0 in my case ;)

PS. and my Ore Buster stays in item frame :D
  5. I calculated difference for 6000 uses, and it gets you about 300k better profit with Ore buster indeed, but man, 93 diamond ore stacks ? Thats almost 2 DC... You joking, right ?
  6. As I already said, if you don't mine a lot, it doesn't make sense to buy an Ore Buster for use. I mine a lot. In about three hours, with two Eff 5/Unbr 3/Silk Touch picks, can you get 2-3 stacks of diamond ore.

Also, I went ahead and compared the three picks. If you used each pick completely, the Holiday Pick is the best deal. But you have to mine 900 more ore before the Holiday Pick passes the Ore Buster.
  7. I am so confused by what anyone is calculating anymore. Hopefully I can simplify things. The numbers here are slightly different due to rounding in my previous example and adding a flat-line amortization of the holiday pickaxe.

1) If you use the ore buster to entirety instead of a holiday pickaxe, you will have (on average) 2,231 extra diamonds. At 72r/diamond, that's 160,632r. You also avoided using 3/5 of your holiday pickaxe. If the holiday pickaxe is 45k, that's 27k. So the grand total is 187,632r.

2) If you use the ore buster to entirety instead of a fortune 3 unbreaking 3, you will have (on average) 4,418 extra diamonds. At 72r/diamond, that's 318,096r. You also avoided using the fortune 3 unbreaking 3 pickaxe. If that value of that is 5k, the grand total is 323,096r. However!

In this case, you have an alternative. Rather than buying the ore buster, you could buy the holiday pickaxe. That will cost you 45k and gain you 2,187 extra diamonds on average. At 72r/diamond, that's 157,464r. It also leaves you with 2/5 of a holiday pickaxe left over, a value of 18,000r. In addition, you also have the fortune 3 unbreaking 3 left over, a value of 5k. The net gain from this option is 157,464r + 18,000r + 5,000r - 45,000r = 135,464r.

If you take the 323,096r and subtract the 135,464r, you're left with the same 187,632r. This is the difference in return between the ore buster and your next best alternative.

3) As a final example, you start with regular diamond pickaxes only. In this case, the ore buster would gain you 10,041 extra diamonds. At 72r each, that's a value of 722,952r. In addition, you don't have to use 3 of your diamond pickaxes. At 240r each, the value is 720r, making the total return 723,672r.

As in the previous case, we also have the alternative of the holiday pickaxe available here. It again costs 45k, though in this case it gains us 7,810 extra diamonds on average at a value of 562,320r. Again, we are left with 2/5 of a holiday pickaxe left over, a value of 18,000r. In addition, you have the three diamond pickaxes left over, a value of 720r. The net gain from this option is 562,320r + 18,000r + 720r - 45,000r = 536,040r.

So again, taking the 723,672r and subtracting the 536,040r leaves us with 187,632r.

I hope that helps illustrate why no matter what your situation, provided the same flat-line valuation of the holiday pickaxe based on usage and same diamond prices, the ore buster always has the same return of 187,632r over any alternative you have.

As I've mentioned repeatedly, you have to consider the risks. If you don't use the pickaxe in entirety, you will miss out on the opportunity. That can happen in any number of cases, ranging from:
    • You die with the pickaxe in your inventory.
    • You stop playing before you use it up.
    • You misplace it.
    • Someone manages to steal it.
    • Microsoft ruins Minecraft.
    • You accidentally use it on another block.
    • etc...
    So that's why even though the return is 187,632r, paying that is risky. You need to have a profit.
  8. Ultimately, this is a question of whether you want (i) more diamonds or (ii) more diamonds faster. I'm in the latter camp. If you're in the former camp, time must be immaterial, so just save the most rupees you can and use iron picks only.

And I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to take their Ore Buster out into the wild.
  9. Though in the wild a locked chest lasts forever and reses are going derelict every single day.

Maybe there's a third camp, for (iii) more rupees faster. Which still would use the Ore Buster, but not at a loss. (ie not paying more than 187,632r).

If you simply want more diamonds faster, then let people sell them to you at 80r each. For the same 1 million you claim an Ore Buster is worth, you'd get 12,500 diamonds without doing anything! It would happen a lot faster than anything you could mine.
  10. Okay, guys, I think marshmallow just wants to buy an ore buster, whether it's worth the money or not :p
    Pab10S and AlexChance like this.