Apple vs Microsoft

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gibabyte, May 21, 2013.

?

Which is better, Microsoft or apple?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2013.
Microsoft 29 vote(s) 46.0%
Apple 15 vote(s) 23.8%
I don't give a crap, I like them both. 19 vote(s) 30.2%
  1. Give me a link to all the info on that desktop of yours, and we'll see what it looks like when I compare it.
  2. He already did.
    Its custom. I will make a list when I can.
  3. Now that I'm safely on my computer and not my dad's phone, I'll respond.

I use a macbook, and not a very good one either- it's the cheapest one there was back in 2009, and on sale at that. Although I can safely say it was the best thing my family has ever bought. My previous computer (windows) had pretty much self-destructed-- granted, it was a really crappy one and it was running vista, but the transition was slightly hard.

It would have been so much more harder if it wasn't for all of the support. I wanted to go do some work in iMovie. Video tutorials taught me everything I needed to know. I lose myself sometimes in the preference tabs (file, edit, view, etc.) If it wasn't for the search function under the "help" tab, I would lose myself and have no idea how to fix whatever problem I have. I found nothing under my school's windows xp pcs. It's funny how confused I get with them.

I also like the interface better. To be honest, I'm not really concerned about 1000 gb of hard drive, as I'm doing just fine on 250 after 4 years. OSX is just a lot smoother to me.

I also owe my life to "force quit".

There are, however, downsides. I recently (3 hours ago, lol) found out that apple only acceps VST's in AU format, seriously messing up my plans to try to produce edm (by the way, if anyone knows of a VST for mac aside from mr. alias 2 or crystal, it would be great if you could tell me). Many games (cough cough DOTA) don't have mac compatibility, or require a complicated installation. Both of them have their upsides, but I prefer appearance over power that I don't need.

Aka:

Read the thing yourself, I don't want to make a conclusion.
    mba2012 and boozle628 like this.
  4. Really the more I think about it, it just matters on what you want to do with a computer. If it's games,work, or programming, buy one with Windows. If it's work, or perhaps video editing, creating music, or digital art, I'd say get a Mac with that enormous screen that might require you to move your head to see what you're clicking. At my school we have a lab full of them and they're mainly used for design, and the giant screens are pretty useful. I myself have used them and compared to the laptops that we have, which are several years old, falling apart, and are slower than a sloth, there's no competition.

Oh, and Mac's aren't prone to viruses as Windows computers are, but if you're smart, it shouldn't be a problem on Windows.
    boozle628 likes this.
  5. Why is that? Did you not see ALL
    THE DISADVANTAGES I LISTED IN THE OTHER THREAD!!!?????

RAGE!!!!
  6. Please list them again.
  7. A dual monitor setup is a much more efficient solution.
  8. I've used Windows PCs for years.
    I've used Mac PCs for years.

I like windows more. That is all.
    Nilex92, mba2012, Gadget_AD and 4 others like this.
  9. Aka, technologically challenged parents, stick to macs! :p

I speak from experience-- another computer of my family's was overridden with viruses because of my mom...
  10. I also.

I got my laptop for $600 dollars and it owns macs on the gaming side of things.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  11. Lets use my Laptop for example here,

It is a Toshiba Satellite S8550S5381

Intel i7-3630QM processor
    1TB of hard drive memory
    8Gb of RAM
    Built in Webcam and Mic

Sells for about $800 (kinda high, but it is what it is)

(as you can probably guess, It CAN run minecraft smoothly, with high setting graphics, it can also run TF2 and LoL fantastically)

I checked the apple website and looked at the prices, and the only Mac computer for less than that is the Mac Mini, which from my understanding, requires some kind of monitor, so another 100-300 dollars there

Still wanna argue for Mac?
  12. You mean VST plugins? Click here. It lets use VST's in DAW format.
    PRO_G4NGST4 likes this.
  13. The point I'm arguing has nothing to do with price. I'm trying to compare the average Mac to the average windows, the bad macs to the bad windows, and the good macs to the good windows. I haven't mentioned this yet, but Apples tablets/smartphones are much better than windows tablets / smartphones.
  14. *sigh* this is going to be a long night...
  15. Alright, we have been comparing the average Mac to an average PC. The thing is an Average Mac costs as much as a high end PC. As for the smartphone/tablet debate, neither Apple nor Microsoft are good, Android has it right though.
    Don't start what you can't finish.
  16. Although I'm just basing it on opinion, I think that's true, but that's mainly because the iPad and iPhone have been out longer than other Windows tablets/smartphones.
  17. The only thing android has on iPhone is wireless charging which will be in iPhone 6's. they are supposed to release in December 2013, with iWatch compatibility.
  18. I'm going to sit here and watch the flames spread.

19. Oh yay.. Another one of these debates.... /sigh
    To be quite honest, I view this thread as pointless seeing as there are several thousand companies that make different parts of any device (except for phones, they only require a sim card) just my honest opinion.... So I guess you can assume I picked the third option on the poll...
    PandasEatRamen likes this.