Announcing The Center for Elytra Studies (Elytra Towers)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Trapper777, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Have fun with your towers, but TNT launchers may be a better idea...

Also, here's this nifty innovation.

2. It's basically an elevator w/ a TNT launcher at build height on top. That design you linked to (or a similar one) is currently the subject of some experimentation on my part... I might be releasing a modified design in a few days :).
    ILTG likes this.
  3. I think this is an awesome project and would like to help. I would be interested in helping coordinate the construction and plans. I also have many rupees and would be willing to donate 80k to the project if it goes through. According to your estimates, that should cover the cost of two smp's. The one fear I have is the cost of using tnt for every single flight.
  4. This is amazing! I would love your help.

I might be reworking the actual number of towers and stuff due to announcement of new bases. We'll see.

Also, the elytra launcher like the one posted in a vid above might replace the TNT canon in the design, removing TNT and increasing range.
    jkrmnj likes this.
  5. Ooh guys I might be able to cut the needed supplies by a ridiculous amount, working on a design that's just one launcher on the ground, one in the air, goes farther by 2000 blocks (at least) and requires no TNT. It's a little more finicky but way cheaper to build.

If I can get it to work, the number of towers we can build goes way way up, as does the speed of implementation. The one thing we'd have to change is we'd have to give some preliminary training to volunteers.
    jkrmnj likes this.
  6. Once you have the max range for each jump with the new design, we can try and figure out how many to build to accommodate the new outposts. What are you currently planning on for those?
    ForeverMaster0 likes this.
  7. Not completely sure. I'm going to talk to some people and work on it. I've finally got a fully functional design working, will find the kind of range we can expect.
  8. I can get to at least 660 every time after 15 min of practice. That's a 6000-odd block range! Design finalized. Will post deets soon.

Edit: To compare that's a little under 2x the range!
  9. Code:
    Wood          1321
    Cobble          322
    Slimeball      18
    Charcoal        8
    Glass          3¾
    Redstone        2
    Sticky Piston  2
    Final material count new design. Way more wood, a few new materials. Faster to build, longer range, no TNT in launch.
    jkrmnj likes this.
  10. Came up with another design, faster to travel up and uses less resources. Will update later.
  11. You might want to make the document view only.. Anyone can mess with it right now.
  12. There has to be an unbrekable elytra promo
  13. Too OP..
    Trapper777 likes this.
  14. It's set up so anyone can comment, so you can make suggestions but not actually edit it.
  15. Oh okay.
    Trapper777 likes this.
  16. Finalized the designs:

Both have a range of a bit over 6k in any direction assuming no obstructions to y=60. Both require absolutely NO TNT or anything else to operate. However, both a harder to repair if the launcher mechanism is broken. Since there's two launchers (the ground one already launches to well over build height) tower 1 is a little easier to used damaged.

However for convenience and cost I've decided to use Tower 2 for community infra.
  17. Could you post a world download that has both of them on it? It would be interesting to see them both. Also, are you still looking for a logistics helper or community organizer? I would be willing to do those if you are.
  18. DL Link up. I'm always looking for help, I'll talk to you once 1.9 comes out!
    jkrmnj likes this.
  19. If you need any help just let me know! PM me if you need me. (In-game or on forums) :)
    Trapper777 likes this.

20. How the supplies for tower 2 fit into a single inventory. As you can see there's still plenty of room for temporary supplies you'd need during construction.
    Sansville, WardleDaBoss and jkrmnj like this.