Animals!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Slvr, May 23, 2018.

1. As I'm sure all of you know, I'm very much an animal person. I have some fish, three cats, and a dog - and at some point soon, will have Carolina anole lizards. :)

Lately, I've gotten to a point where I can learn about unusual pets more, such as more exotic reptiles, invertebrates (like the hissing cockroach or emperor scorpion), and birds. I want to have experiences with a wide variety of animals, and I know there are others out there who like something other than your typical cat or dog. ;)

So what's the point of this thread? What pets do you have, or what animals do you see in your area? Do you have a particularly favorite animal? Maybe you're not an animal person at all and you're mortified that I would ever consider voluntarily bringing cockroaches into my home. Let me know! Slvr would like to learn!

But I would like to also say, this is not a controversial thread. Please don't get into any discussion on proper vs. improper husbandry here, or ragging on any dog breeds, etc.

As for me...

I have a small school of black neon tetra fish. These are top-swimming fish that school in a minimum of 6-8 individuals and are interesting because they're silver with a black stripe down each side, along with a contrasting yellow stripe above the black one, hence the name. Mine just went through a ravaging sickness, so I only have three left, but they are recovering and once I'm sure the disease is gone Ill be getting them some new friends.

My Dad technically is the one who owns our dog, Diesel, and he does care for him for the most part now. He is a tan pitbull/boxer mix with a white stripe between his eyes. He's a goof. :p

The three cats we have are definitely mine. Sierri is a long-haired stray that we took in ages ago from another family member. Macho is an orange tabby we also received from another family member who couldn't keep him. Two-Socks is a typical brownish tabby who was a stray for a little while and won my heart when he sat at my door meowing at me in a snowstorm.

Carolina anoles, if you live in anywhere from North Carolina down, you've probably seen them. They are the curious little green lizards you may see in trees. They are especially profound in Florida and Texas. They are a popular beginner reptile, but in my research I've found that they're actually quite difficult to keep, and that's why I'm avoiding getting them until I'm absolutely sure I've got the tank right. ;)

EDIT: I'm on my phone, this is probably littered with errors.
  2. I've had many cats through my life, but have never owned more than 3 at any one time. Also got myself some dogs as well. However, the real interesting pets belong to one of our family friends and my uncle. One of my dad's friends is a marine biologist and loves exotic animals, so they have a breed of venomous tarantula as a pet. Can't remember the breed, but man is it a big scary thing. Luckily it only needs to be fed once every 6 months.

My uncle has had a tarantula (not venomous), komodo dragon, and a very normal dog. He loved to let his tarantula crawl on others when it was still alive. It was a very odd feeling letting this big hairy creature crawl up your arm.

When it comes to animals I may own, the most exotic I'd go is probably a fox. Foxes are actually quite avalible in Canada for purchase as pets. However, I do love cats and I'll definitely be taking care of one of those when I'm older.
  3. We only own 1 dog and four cats (three really, ill explain.) The reason we own 4 cats but only have 3 at our house is because when we moved we didn't move very far from our older house, so that would make the older house just a simple walk away. So, since our cat is an outdoors cat who usually leaves the house for days and comes back, we thought he was up to his naughty buisness, until he was gone for about a week. Long story short, we kept bringing him back home and he kept leaving again, so we just let him go.

As for our dog she's a Czechslovakian Shepard, and our cats are black and white.
    SansTheTimeLord and Slvr like this.
  4. I feel like this was rather skimmed over... :p Haha, just kidding, but that's an awesome list of creatures there.

We had a similar situation with one of our cats, though we didn't necessarily voluntarily let him go, he escaped during a move and we never found him again. And that's an interesting dog. I don't see that breed very often!

*Pokes thread back into recent threads*
  5. Alright! When I was a small lad I had two cats (Peppercorn and Pandora)! Pepper unfortunately passed due to a urine problem, and Pandora lived a long happy 15 years. I also had two goats, Lamby (don't ask me why, I have no clue why my smoooshh named one of our GOATS lamby as in sheep) and Ginger. We got them to mow our large 15 acre lawn. We got females because the males are aggressive and stink. Anyway, 2 months later we realize "Oh my, Ginger is a George!" and we neuter him. Unfortunately, the got disease from local deer and we gave them away. And that's my pets! Hahaha! Just kidding! Last year I began raised 14 chickens from 2 weeks old! One passed as a baby chick which was to be expected because 15% do as a chick, but the rest survived. Where I live, it is legal to have 2 horses per acre (so legally we can have 30 horses), but unlawful to have more than 4 chickens. Crazy right? (NOTE IT IS UNLAWFUL, NOT ILLEGAL) Anyway, it is also illegal to have male chickens where I live, so we, um, *cough*ate*cough* 4 males. And you know the saying "pecking order"? That is a thing! My chickens beat the lowest on the pecking order down. Oh and my dog, which I will mention later, ate the highest chicken on the pecking order who escaped. So we are down to 7.... BUT GOOD NEWS! I ordered 10 more chickens that lay BLUE AND GREEN eggs! (just gotta raise them) It turns out we got a dozen, but we only noticed after we counted after smoooshh well... ironically, um, "smooshed" one of them. 7+11 is 18 so we have 18 chickens! Now onto my dog. She is a year and a half years old, and Vizsla (Vee-Sh-La) named Kakoa (CoCo). We got her at the start of the year and she went from a crazy uncontrollable dog to a loyal obedient one! I love all of my pets, and I hope to be able to share more in the future!
    SansTheTimeLord and Slvr like this.
  6. As a kid I used to have some animals. First a hamster, which was kind of fun but as you probably know they're more active at night so... not so much. However... I fondly remember how I used to totally drive my parents nuts sometimes. I had a nice blue sweater (which I still have today) and it has 2 front pockets. I loved that thing, still do.

So I sometimes would pick up a hamster, play with it a little bit (let it walk around and such) and put it on my lap. And one of them quickly managed to discover my front pocket, roll itself up and zzzzz. I thought that was really cool so I let it there, put in a bit of food too and then did my homework in my room :)

I know that hamsters don't really purr and to be honest I'm not too sure anymore what I think to remember and if my memories are correct, but I can swear that it used to a little bit. Especially when I would (very carefully!) put my hand into my pocket and softly pet it a little bit (being careful not to wake it up).

Anyway, right now my place isn't very suited for animals. I'd love a cat or maybe a dog, but a dog is out of the question due to the effort involved (at least for now) and a cat... I'm not sure if I'd be doing the cat any favors. My place is nice, but not that big.

SO basically... no pun intended the only animals I'm a little more serious about with regards to actually keeping and petting them as are my Minecraft animals.

And I sometimes honestly take them a little bit more seriously than I should :)

I'm seriously looking forward to building a nice aquarium on one of my residences so that I can keep some fish in the game.
    SansTheTimeLord and MoreMoople like this.
  7. Me too! I'm super excited for this. And hamster sounds adorable ;)
  8. I have two lovely cats: Orlando (Also known as MoreMoo/Moremoople/Many other names), and Rocky. Rocky is 18 years old, and he is a black striped cat with short legs. Orlando is an 11 year old orange cat with a rather long body. He turns 12 in July!
    I've had Rocky my entire life, and Orlando since I was 3. Orlando loves laying on my lap, and sometimes sits on my arms while I play on EMC ;)

I've had 4 cats total in my life, but one passed when I was 3 (orange and white cat named Liam), and the other left when I was in China during 5th grade (black and white cat named Ally) :(

I used to have a betta fish named Legolas after my favorite character in The Lord of the Rings (Played by Orlando Bloom, who happens to be who my cat is named after). He lived to be 4 years old. I had another betta after Legolas died, and I named this one Caspian after my favorite character from The Chronicles of Narnia. Very handsome little blue fish that lived to 2 years. Somewhere in-between, I had a goldfish named Arwin that I won at a Halloween party. (Also named after a LOTR character) She only lived a couple days after I got her.

Sometimes there is a roadrunner that likes to roam our backyard! It's also common to see them dashing across roads (faster then chickens!) To get to the other side, hence the name. ;)
    For those of you that aren't familiar with roadrunners, they look like this:
  9. This threads made me hungry for some fried iguana eggs topped with cheese and a dash of salt.

Has anyone ever had Crocodile or Alligator meat Bites?? Thems good eating, high in protein mate.
  10. Hm, so currently my irl household is let’s just say, lacking in the number of varying animals. At this time I don’t own any animals personally, but I am living with my parents 2 little Shih Tzus. Over the years we’ve mostly favored having dogs, jumping between breeds like German Shepherd, Labradors, Pomeranians and now Shih Tzus.

The more interesting part of the animals I’m around stems from the fact I volunteer at my local animal shelter, where we get a plethora of dogs, cats, rabbits, chickens and others. Some of the less common animals that we get there are goats, birds, fish, mice/rats/hamsters, and reptiles. It’s definately fun when there are animals that we don’t normally see end up here.
    Slvr, MajorHaze and MoreMoople like this.
  11. Hmm.. an animal post...

I have 3 beautiful cats, the oldest is Biensa, who I just won over... a Russian Blue and another breed mixed in, she's an adorable old grey cat... Blessing, a midnight black cat (minus a tiny white bowtie on her chest that signals her age), and Junior, the youngest, the tom that keeps getting mauled by the girls... He is a lot like Spooky, who died last July, and looks so much like him, hence the name.

Now, dogs.. I only have pictures of Sadie. You want 'em, you'll smack me in discord. :p
    Slvr and MoreMoople like this.
  12. I have a dog, Pepper, a Jack Russel Terrier. We've owned her since she was six weeks old and she's now eleven. I don't know life without her, having only been seven when we got her, and about five years ago I almost got hit by a car while attempting to shield her from it after she ran out into the middle of a road. She sleeps more and looks almost completely grey in the face, but she's still the energetic dog I grew up with and she's got a lot of life in her left.

I have a golden albino axolotl who doesn't have a name. She's the largest and the sole survivor of my batch of 24 eggs I purchased at twelve. She had a brother, a wild type, but he died last year on Easter Sunday of completely unknown causes. He was a lot more communicative than her and didn't fear people, but despite having bullied him all of their lives (he was slightly smaller) she absolutely refuses to interact with humans, doesn't like to be hand fed at all, and darts around the tank when you try to pick her up while water changing. Despite her constant spurning of me in the six years I've owned her, I still watch her move around at night and eat, and it's going to hit me just as hard as her brother's death when she kicks the bucket too (like, it's just an amphibian but I've raised them since they looked like oxford commas in a jelly egg, watched them grow their front and back legs, saw them regrow their body parts after having them bitten off, and hand fed them their first mosquito larvae :')).

My parents own two rabbits and my brother owns a Syrian hamster, and my sister owns a Djungarian hamster. Not really mine but I look after them on occasion, so I might as well add them to this list.

On a side note, one day I hope to own a German Shepherd and a cat. And also a turtle. And a bearded dragon. And a robot fire-breathing horse.
  13. I have 5 chickens, of which I don't remember all of the names since we got them quite recently and they're not mine. 2 rabbits named Berry and Thorn, 2 cats named Jasper and Murphy, a pygmy hedgehog named Alfie and a dog named Bailey. :D
    We plan to get more chickens and my dad wants a duck for some reason lol
    SansTheTimeLord, Slvr and MoreMoople like this.
  14. I will say I had over the years I had 3 dogs but 2 were when I was younger and there names were Max, Andy, and currently now Bentley. I had also 4 cats which names are Jesse, Oreo, Maisy, and Dexter. Plus, I had a pet fish.

Bentley is a St. Bernard and Newfoundland mix which is like a huge cuddly teddy bear.
    MoreMoople and Slvr like this.
  15. I have a female boston terrier that's 8 years old called Scout, a 1 year old male French Bulldog whose name is Sullivan, and three fish (one 2-year-old 7-inch-long common plecostomus, and two cichlids) and I am hoping to get an axolotl sometime after the summer.
    Axolotls are definitely my favourite animals :)
    Slvr likes this.