Allow Locked Wasteland Chests

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by azoundria, Nov 18, 2014.

?

Which alternative for locked chests do you support?

Alternative 1 (Fixed Cost) 17 vote(s) 48.6%
Alternative 2 (Time-Based) 4 vote(s) 11.4%
I Disagree With Locking Chests In The Wasteland 14 vote(s) 40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisisnt3%.png
    on our most populated server most of the area that has been explored falls within the 250 block radius if you combined all those together it would be a chunk about 1500 x 1500 how is 1500x1500 3 percent of 8000 x 8000. i know im not good at math but again your math is either missing something or incorrect.

also theres literally no way you can spend 10 minutes per trip there simply isnt enough space from any outpost to even have to swim without a boat the furthest distance you can get from one.

yes wastelands is for mining, but if you need the kind of materials it would take to fill up more then your inventory it would probably be safer and more convenient to do it far out at some wildbase where you can set yourself up nice. the "dont mine in the wilderness" is really to prevent areas around spawns looking like warzones (which they do anyways) it has nothing to do with what you do on claimed or far away lands.
  2. & I assume the nether is 1/8th the size?
  3. The wastelands nether is actually 1:1 ration with the overworld otherwise the nether would be 1000x1000.

When locked chests were implemented the cost of 1000r was chosen to limit the number of chests locked. 1000r might not seem like much now but back when we had one server 1000r was a sizable sum. The high price was introduced to limit the number of chests locked as it took considerable server resources to prevent chests being destroyed (and the lock sign too). Since the code wasn't never broken, as far as I am aware, I can see it never being updated and made more efficient. Aikar needs to concentrate on what is needed more than on what could be a good idea. Once we have No bugs, Dragon Tombs, Frontier Empires and are on 1.8 (or whatever the latest version is) then Aikar can look at old but working code to make it run better and allow it to be used more (imagine each player gets a number of free locked chests)
    bitemenow15 likes this.
  4. Firstly, I would suggest you learn math. It's incredibly useful, especially in a case like this where most of the argument is mathematical and has to do with efficiency and use of resources.
    Actually, 1500x1500 is slightly SMALLER than the numbers I used, only 2,250,000 square blocks.
    8,000x8,000 is 64,000,000 square blocks. If you simply divide 2,250,000 / 64,000,000, you get 0.03515625. If you times that number by 100, you get the percentage, 3.515625%, or roughly 3.5%. In any case, there is still a substantial area in which locked chests can be utilized regardless of any buffer/reset zone.
    Let's assume that your map above is an accurate indication of what parts of the wasteland are used and will be used over the entire 3 month period between each reset, and estimate it as a extremely conservative 10% of the total wasteland area. The MAJORITY (> 50%) of that area still falls outside the 'reset/buffer' zone.
    The furthest distance from an outpost is 2,000 blocks in each direction (x and z). Using the pythagorean theorem, the total distance is the square root of the sum of both sides squared, or sqrt(2000^2 + 2000^2). This evaluates to sqrt(4,000,000 + 4,000,000) or 2,828.427m. 2.2 m/s is the speed of swimming, so assuming ideal conditions, it would take 2,828.427 / 2.2 = 1,285.6486s to travel to the furthest reaches of the wasteland. This is 21.427 minutes, which is more than twice as large as 10. Therefore, your statement is false.
    However, we made a lot of assumptions in that calculation, including that we traveled in a completely perfect straight line, didn't get lost, didn't stop, didn't get pursued by hostile mobs, didn't die, didn't have to eat, didn't forget any materials. We also didn't include any time to unload materials in town, get from the mine to the surface, get refocused on mining, or get back to our mine via suicide with ender chests. All of these factors (and others I may not even have thought of) will increase the time per trip. The 10 minutes is based on my own experience and timing as an imperfect human during my mining operations.
    This usually works, but what if I need quartz? Or lots of sandstone? Or stained clay?
    It also comes down to efficiency and travelling further in the wilderness has a cost associated as well.
    No. The nether is 1:1 in the wasteland, making nether tunnels also impossible to cut the travel time.
    So basically never.
  5. Is that still the case?

If we are waiting for all of that to do anything, we should close the Suggestions section of the forum.
  6. Not all suggestions are equal, some can be easily implemented by altering a single line of code whereas others may need a complete overhaul of a large chunk of old code.
    Code added before Aikar took over development was, as far as I am aware, functional but did not follow good programming design (non descriptive variables, no comments etc.) and was added ad hoc, this makes it difficult to work with and requires more time to tidy up and bring it to current code standards. Chickeneer is the one mostly coding suggestions and such, this allows Aikar to concentrate on needed code, Chickeneer has advanced his Java skills tremendously but I doubt he would be comfortable tackling the older code unless absolutely necessary.
    Keep the suggestions coming. Even failed suggestions can inspire new ideas.
  7. Perhaps the /vault should be opened up for use in the waste and frontier. Or just a single page of it. Or a separate /wvault used for the wild and/or waste. Then wvault vocuhers could be bought, traded, rewarded etc .

The problem is the time taken to go way out in the waste and back with any sizeable amount of building material or stock for the shop is difficult and time consuming hence the need to setup a base to store what you need for the runs back into town.

This also goes to the idea that you can setup your own outpost in the frontier but you have to be a long way out. And then once you've done that, bringing goods to market is less than fun. Having /vault access at your ouptost seems logical.

You could also look into doing double ender-chests by modifying them to be a dc internally even though they look a sc on the outside (like a bag of holding for the DnDers). This is what I imagined the /vault could have been.
    bitemenow15 likes this.
  8. I don't know anything about resetting the area but just simply I like the idea of locking a chest in Wasteland.
    Of course I've never left anything important where I always mine but obviously someone (or some people) know I'm mining over there and all my equipments like working benches, furnace and chests are taken several times when I come back mining. (more than 3 times at least)

I like long time mining but I want to go back and forth storing stuffs while I'm mining so I can bring everything back into the town all together and I die a lot (mostly swimming in lava) so I don't want to carry big number of Diamonds and Emeralds anything I don't want to lose.
    I want to protect my stuff at least only while I'm mining there. I heard that people can hide themselves from map showing? so I'm nervous as mining. Just a thought from my experience

(btw I've never thought about hiding chests XD let me start hiding it from the next time mining :) )
    ChrisFlareon likes this.
  9. I love this stuff :)

Ok, so I came here while searching for info on being warned about wasteland resets. And as always on good communities: you get distracted, sucked into other topics and ..... here I am :)

(when I say I love this stuff I don't just say so, just saying so :D)

ok, ok, ok, I'll be more serious :)

I voted yes, at a fixed price. Option 1 then.

Look, my stance: yes, I agree it can confuse newbies (but then again; most newbies I encountered didn't even know about locking chests) but there will come a time when you can protect a player for so much. No offense; but at some time... If you do lose your stuff in the waste.. Lets be honest: its hard to miss.

Now, the reason I voted yes... Because I think it might actually help us when the server(s) are full (and that is a love/hate issue for all of us, right?).

When smp2 (my home) was full I ended up on smp5. I wasn't going to let this spoil my fun so I started my own mining operation there. Here's the issue: not griefer protected. I keep my stuff on me, before going to other servers, but right now, for me, smp5 is the "survival server" (because if I go there I get into a survival game).

I kept my valuable stuff (rsd, coal and a dia) on me. But a locked chest would have helped.

The only problem: making sure that newbies realize that what you build can go p00f tomorrow. And I think EMC does just that.

So yah; I'm all in favor.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.