All is fish that comes to his net

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by Zbid, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Hi everyone! Let me sit here a lap and talk to you a wee bit about what happened the other day. I know you probably don’t know me, or just saw by chance my name and straightly forgot about it : I can appear a bit as a cold fish, but that’s because I am still a small fish in my small pond… And I guess this post will make me appear more of an odd fish, if anything.
    But what’s that got to do with the price of fish, you say? Well, that’s my teach-a-man-to-fish story about how to tackle a problem by asking the mods.

Nevertheless… where was I?
    Ah! Yes! The fish.:confused:

I’m actually adding a nearby ocean monument to my still(and ever)-to-be-finished project on a mooshroom island, and a few days ago I was going through the veeeeeery tedious process of clearing the monument of water… with sand… by hand… I’m that old styled…
    And as always when doing this kind of time-consuming, automatic work, my mind was wandering, turning ideas around. I was clearing the center “gazebo/bell shaped” part when it hit me : I had to turn this part into a fish tank, the only part of the monument where we’d be able to see guardians.
    I thought it was going to be like shooting fish in a barrel, right? But no! Minecraft on customized servers and vanilla minecraft are really two different kettles of fish! And I don’t want to cry stinking fish here, but I’m not that brilliant a minecrafter. Yet, I’m not fishing for compliments and not a fish either.

Aaaanyway… I had the center only half-cleared, so I made an aquarium of it, ands set a trap at the top, and waited for a guardian to come near it. Which promptly happened. I pushed the beast in and closed the aperture. I had a guardian! But I needed to be quick before it despawned!

So I took the boat back to the island. Fished around in my chests for my only nametag. Ran back to the boat. Took the boat back to the ocean monument. Ran to the top of the aquarium and reopened it. Nametag in hand, I jumped into the fray (…of one plus me) and facing that big glare of it, right-clicked the cod with the tag. The tag disappeared and I got zapped, and zapped again on my way out. Ouch, quick, a steak… what’s that in my hand? Not a steak. My nametag!? Wait! Whaaaaat?:eek:

After going through the whole being-zapped-while-right-clicking-the-big-stary-eye-:mad: process twice again, I had to accept the fact I couldn’t name the cod. Which popped out of existence, I’m sure with a smug smile on its face. There was something fishy, here… The problem was neither fish nor fowl : was it intended? Was it a bug? I had to know!

Ah! :(that was a fine kettle of fish… I had to bother the big fishes again, and I feel a bit like a fish out of water on the forums yet. And the only staff-fish in the sea online was AlexC__. The one I already bothered only a few hours ago with some puny connection problems. So… Fish or cut bait?

I decided to ask to the whole list of senior staff members, hoping they wouldn’t think I was asking to make fish of one and flesh of another on my case or that they were not thinking I was fishing in troubled water, or making up a fish story. It seemed like they were busy as beavers, needing my intervention like a fish needs a bicycle. So, I went on various internet forums while waiting, to fish for my answer. And got back to my monument and my Sisyphus-style sanding.

And lo! There came AlexC__! He rushed in flying, not even giving me the fish eye. After a short explanation, he took the nametag. Jumped into the aquarium where luckily not one but TWO new guardians had spawned. The two guardians broke their shenanigans when they saw him, and didn’t even try to zap him! In fact they were looking like two juveniles being scolded by the head-master, huddling in a corner… Got a nice picture, too!

AlexC__ tried as I did, to the same result. I felt so relieved I wasn’t going to be taken for a fish-tale-telling noob, I must have had that big fish eating smile on my face. At least it was showing I was not as crooked as a barrel of fish hooks, he?:D
    So, AlexC__ said he was going to look at the whole thing with the devs, and would keep me informed. The guy had fished me up out of my troubles again! I would have fish-kissed him! But he had other fish to fry, and with that he soared away over the ocean like a flying fish.

It turned out eventually that the naming of guardians is actually disabled, so it is a feature, not a bug. But that aquarium is never out of guardians : they spawn naturally in it, and I often have three or four fish-fighting in there. All is well that ends well, he? This is no time to start drinking like a fish…

-this was inspired by the incredible amount of expression including the word ‘fish’ in English! What is it with English and the fishes?-
  2. Fish in my mind for the rest of the day now.... :D

All is well, that ends with a AlexC__ fish in aquarium!

Good read, enjoyed :)
  3. Quiet the stories full of fish ! Was interesting to read ! ^-^/
  4. Fist off: awesome read, I enjoyed myself here!

A good place to look for these things is the EMC wiki; in specific the page on Changes from Vanilla Minecraft. Unfortunately though the wiki doesn't seem to get many updates, and this particular fact is missing from there.

Next time you might have better chances throwing these kinds of questions into the Help forum here, I could have told you this was a thing, it's pretty common knowledge to most older players. I even recall having hinted the contrib team about updating the wiki over this but alas :p

Thanks for sharing!