[Unofficial Debate] Wild Reset

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jonions, Jun 20, 2012.

?

To reset or not to reset? Remember to READ.

Yes, I want the reset. 36 vote(s) 30.8%
No, I don't want the reset. 81 vote(s) 69.2%
  1. Wow, this would get bumped again... It really is impressive 321 posts. all full of why or why not to have a wild reset... I vote no
  2. I don't care either way really.

My ultimate solution? I would suggest writing a little bit of code that analyzes a chunk currently in the world. If the chunk does not differ significantly from the original chunk (within a very small margin of error) from the last wild reset, then use the chunk regenerated using the new 1.3 code. This way you preserve user generated stuff, and still get the benefits of new structures in land that has already been "explored".

In theory, you could take this further, and any non-natural (user created) block that replaced an air or water block could be copied into 1.3 generated chunks. This would allow you to layer user created content into newly generated chunks. You would have some errors, but mostly people would have to "unearth" some of their dwellings, roads, etc. If you wanted to preserve far more, you could look for water and air where there was previously solid blocks, and copy those in as well, but this would mean that ore and diamonds would not get reset...

I assume that tree generation etc. is purely deterministic based on the seed. You may have a few more issues if not. For example "tree houses" might not make much sense...
    Luke4214 likes this.
  3. I heard that a long time ago (before me) their used to be a wilderness a town and a wasteland
    The wild was to mine and build (if wanted to do not safe)
    The town was the same (60x60) residences
    The wasteland was not safe to build in as it got reset every update
    Why don't we go back to this system?
    (sorry if I got any facts wrong as I said I haven't been here that long (6 months))
    Luke4214 likes this.