[Unofficial Debate] Wild Reset

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jonions, Jun 20, 2012.

?

To reset or not to reset? Remember to READ.

Yes, I want the reset. 36 vote(s) 30.8%
No, I don't want the reset. 81 vote(s) 69.2%
  1. A good number of the LLO members actually DO want a wild reset. Think about that. All the hard work we have done here, and we want a reset. Look forward to a post from EMCake Party on Wednesday.
    Glasi13, SecretAznEks and mtp1997 like this.
  2. The name calling is against the rules. Any personal attack is frowned upon.

I however think that, beyond not listening to the people who tell you not to do this, you have a bigger problem when you do it.

You hurt your own arguments when you resort to poor tactics. People are less likely to listen to you if you can not control your temper and outbursts. You only hurt yourself when you do this. No one else is really going to care if some person they don't know calls them names on the interwebs.
  3. Except im saying not ot reset to aave everyone else. I spend most of my time in town
  4. Hey now, melody knows her stuff. Don't question her :p
  5. But when i made it, i wasnt calling anyone on here a jerk. Just like when someone calls griefers jerks. If they can call griefers jerks, doesnt that allow me to call a small amount of people who vote to ruin what people have done so that they can use a certain feature jerks as well?
  6. I do not personally care who you call Jerks. That would be a decision for the mods or the King Cow. I'm just saying you are hurting your own argument more than anything else.
    oidgod, SecretAznEks and roblikescake like this.
  7. Ok, well, i didnt intend to offend anyone
  8. I'm more referring to personal insults on here, actually. It's 100% possible to have a good debate with never insulting or getting obnoxiously defensive with any topic. :)
    oidgod, mba2012 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  9. It seems to me like you are trying to measure maturity by spelling and grammar usage.

We are not voting on who is going to be president, we're voting (unofficially, might I add right now) on an issue that would affect everyone, young or old. Some really young kids (and young men in their teens as well) have very educated opinions about this, and if we start excluding them from polls then we lose quite a few informed opinions. Just because young kids are stereotyped as immature and uninformed doesn't mean all of them are.

Now, to my main points.
    I am against a reset, as we already have said. I live in the LLO, and we have a lot of stuff here that would be both heartwrenching and time-consuming to take down. That being said, after a reset we could always recover, it's not very hard to rebuild if we kept the materials.
    To everyone arguing that we need a reset because of:
    1) A new ore that is 25% rarer than diamond
    2) 2 new structures
    3) Large Biomes
    All of this can be found in the 'black areas'.
    Now, these areas are something like 7500 blocks from spawn in most cases, and I bet you're thinking "I don't really feel like walking 7500 blocks...". Now, I am going to go against my co-anti-reset people and say that that is NOT being lazy. If someone told me I had to walk 7500 blocks to get some emeralds because a bunch of boneheads (like this guy here <--) thought I was being lazy not to, I would be a little ticked. But a solution is simple. If we do not have a reset, as others have suggested, create an outpost building and when someone walk in, they are teleported into a random, very small, protected spawn that is anywhere from 10k-20k blocks out in the black areas. Because these would be black areas, you wouldn't be stumbling upon someone's well hidden wild base because no one would have explored it yet.
    To everyone arguing that we don't need a reset because:
    1) Everyone else is lazy
    2) Materials are not hard to find
    You're right, but as melody argued, not everyone has the physical time to go out and find stuff.
    And to counter a point that I saw way back there:
    "They need to walk far just to find trees or stone." (Apologies if I misquoted, I couldn't find it in all the clutter of people ranting and raving about X, Y, and Z.)
    When a new member completes the tutorial, they are given 4 or so saplings. That is enough to start a makeshift tree farm, which, by nature, renews itself when destroyed leaves drop saplings. Stone might not be as easy to get in town, but with some wood or stone tools, you can go into the wild and find some at the bottom of the nuke zones. If you look at any of the nuke zones on the map, you will likely notice that there is stone (and tonnes of it, might I add) laying below where all that pretty sand used to be.

I'm done for now, I'll be back though.
  10. Having already had a wilderness dwelling, railway etc (SMP2) reset (which I did not complain about) and now built a much larger one on SMP7, I have to disagree wrt "housekeeping". Having laid something in the region of 2000 track + fencing, tunnels, bridges, stations and signalling etc, quite apart from my subterranean home and farm (and that is nothing in comparison to the SMP7 wilderness city) - "housekeeping" just does not come into it - many, many hours work (albeit fun) would go down the pan, just so that some city dwellers can get closer access to materials? There are literally thousands of unexplored canyons, caves and abandoned mines - and that's just on SMP7. My only agreement to a reset would be if it was a technical requirement
    Call_Me_DeJaja, zulu9 and Joshposh70 like this.
  11. In response to the first part, i dont measure maturity by that. I would personally measure EMC maturity by having a long post made by ICC or Justin about the reset, then do a test. If they pass the test they can vote, if they cant pass they cant vote. It will measure their maturity by seeing if they are respectful and responsible enough to read the post before they vote.
    And i believe that "large biomes" is a world type, and we might not get them in a reset anyways. If we do, that just means that we have 4x as big of a jungle, which are incredibly annoying to pass -_- If im wrong about it being a world type, please correct me.
    SecretAznEks likes this.
  12. Nice post :)

I said trees, stone, clay, and sand. I believe. Visit my lot 15422.

Remember - this is one lot.
    I gathered a least 95% of the materials in the wild. There is a lot of stone and sand and clay used. I had to walk quite a bit out to get to an area where I could gather sand. It was probably between 300-500 blocks out. I probably had to make a good 20+ trips before It was done and said with. I also farm materials in a way that attempts not to leave the land around me devastated. When digging sand I take it off from the top layers and stop before I get to stone. When cutting trees I replant.

I had the time to deal with all of this - but there are players who wouldn't.

On the flip side. I am part of a wild group. We have a lot of fun building and surviving in the wild. I got bored after my lot was finished. I spend a large majority of my time about 10k from spawn. Enjoying our wild.

I truly understand both sides. This is why I want to try to find a compromise - something that works for everyone.
    Manglex, Glasi13 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  13. ...and this IS our end goal. We might not be at it or get to it by the next reset (if there even is one) or version of Minecraft, but I promise you at some point we will have a solution for wild and towny people alike. :)
    Manglex, melodytune, oidgod and 7 others like this.
  14. sorry.... didnt really understand how all that worked but now i know.. :D
  15. Wouldn't a solution just be to enlarge and reset the FRA?

New blocks and ores for town people
    Wild People get to keep their stuff
  16. May I also add, If this was to go ahead, I would request extremely strongly we use the same seed, So we can just rebuild everything again, Without having to find new spots ETC
  17. Hows about another option, instead of ANY resets, what about adding more outposts further afield. This would give the wild dwellers the chance to keep all they have worked to build, the towners would have more places to gather resources and the new emeralds would be readily findable without a 30+ minute walk.
    bonzd67, ZBSDKryten and zulu9 like this.
  18. I voted no to the reset, for simple, selfish reasons. I have assets in the wild that I would like to keep, just because it's easier and less frustrating than finding new ones. But...a reset will happen inevitably at some point in time...new versions of minecraft will keep coming out and at some point things will need to change. And this discussion is all about our reactions to change. No one really likes change, but as in the real world, change is a necessary component of an interesting life.
    Glasi13 likes this.
  19. Ok, let’s try this out.......so many thoughts, ideas, can't get them out clearly......

Wild resets need to happen at times, the debate should really be "Is this update that time." , or better yet, what is considered the proper time for a reset. EMC is designed with a Town and a Wild. The intent was to use the town as a safe zone and the Wild to gather resources. However, it's a game, and we can all do as we please, as long as we are not negatively impact others. I for one get bored running around my lot, and desire the challenges of building massive grinders, buildings and other creations that are not possible in Town. I read the Guide upfront, I understand the ideology behind the wild/town setup, but I still go and build there on occasion. I know updates will come out eventually that will require a reset for specific functionality, I just want others to respect that it took me 500+ hours (RL hours) constructing these things and not make rash decisions for resets when other solutions are at hand and just as easy. It's not about gathering resources, I don't keep chests of loot out there, I don't need weeks to gather my things, I want the functional structure I built. Again, I know the risk, I could play single player, but I like the setup here.

Now the debate part.... Pros and Cons - can't make any real clear ones out of the last thirteen pages of a glorified peeing contest.

Emeralds - Renewable, can be obtained in unlimited amounts in town and in wild from villagers and in unexplored areas - does not require a reset to access or obtain.

New structures - Will be generated in unexplored areas - does not require a reset to access or obtain.

Trip wires and such - You will have it no matter what, wild has no effect - does not require a reset to access or obtain.

Other stuff – Really, I don’t see anything on this upcoming update that requires a reset to access or obtain.

Therein lies the real issue. The bulk of the arguments for a reset are around getting people closer to unexplored areas to get materials, either new content or general building materials. It has been brought up several times about the “Black” areas and it really is the answer, you just have to take away the argument that they are too far or “I don’t want to walk for ten minutes”. All valid points, but not valid enough if there are any other solutions that negate them. The wild is wild, should be explored, you shouldn’t be able to teleport any where you want, but you can still get access to further areas. My suggestion is to add NW, NE, SE, SW spawn points. One at time as needed. Maybe one per update, if there is a new item that could benefit from unexplored areas. I don’t think they should all be put in at once, pace it so the map generation is slower, keep people in that area cause it’s the new thing so not as many chunks will be loaded across the map at once.

Again, my point. Resets are needed when they are needed, not with every update. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. If you don’t need to reset, don’t reset. I feel like I need to think of that perfect analogy to get you all to have that “Ohhhh Yeeaaahhhh” moment. Hmmm. Let’s say the US mint issues a .30 coin that also happens to grow on trees and you really have to have it. You could get them from any store clerk, the local bank, or you could go out into the woods and pick them yourselves from a tree but that would require a 20 minute hike cause the corn fields surround the town and the woods are on the other side. Asking for a reset of the wild is like asking the government to nuke all rural property so eventually money trees will grow closer to home, and all because bank tellers scare you, and you can’t go to stores cause you never learned how to open a door. All valid reasons, but not necessary, when the government could just subsidies taxi service for you to get past the corn field. (Not sure why you don’t like the corn field Mr. Imaginary Guy, are you fat and can’t walk that far cause you will have a heart attack? Get mauled by a corncob once? Don’t have any clean pants to wear? We will never know…) So…have fun with that……

*Disclaimer: I can't spell, don't know proper punctuation, and don't care about it.....
  20. The periodic reset area only makes it go back to its original form. No new ores or structures.
    IcecreamCow likes this.