Why does EMC make their own plugins?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by synth_apparition, Oct 2, 2012.

1. What'd he get kicked for? XD
  2. nfell2009 whispered to Maxarias: I love you <3
    Now times that 10 times, and that was major, annoying and needless spam on the livestream. You got a kick and embarrassed yourself.

Aikar also quoted me when I told everyone:
    xD
  3. I always had Nfell down as weird but that's over the top.
  4. lol, this is a great thread XD

Why be like the rest, when you can be so much better
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  5. Would you consider creating a "chicken incident" next live stream?... *hint hint*
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  6. Our custom code helps us ensure we have quality code :)

When you download other peoples plugins, you are relying on their ability to program...

There are many programmers in the world, but only a select few are actually "good".

Also, public plugins are designed to "one size fits all". Means theres tons of code that is tailored to supporting every type of server, resulting in alot of extra code you don't need.

Then, you have the integration aspect.
    All of EMC's code has the expectation the other parts are there. It gives you lots of freedom to integrate all of the various features. It's hard to integrate others plugins unless they write code for it, and they will only do that if its a widely used plugin...

Then you have tweaks... You will ALWAYS hit a scenario where the plugin doesnt do everything youd like it to do. Once you hit that point (and you will unless you have a cookie cutter bland server), your now stuck to modifying that plugins source code.

Now, updating that plugin becomes extremely challenging and time consuming, leaving you behind on updates alot!

Guess what? That's why were on a very old version of Residence! this bit us :)

When you have your own code, your server does EXACTLY what YOU want it to do.

Want a new feature? go write some code to complete it, and be done with it. No worries about how to duct tape 3 other pieces of software together to obtain your goal and have 40 other security vulnerabilities added in code you didn't even need....

This is a big thing for me at work, the concept of actually writing code vs ductaping others work together.
    One task has you focusing on completing the job, the other has you focusing on how to work in the existing systems and not break other stuff and do it in ways that will let you maintain updates before you even get to your main goal of just solving your problem.

Also, our currency is 100% custom code. We do not use any parts of Essentials.
    mba2012, LZBZ_DW, pietdagamer and 4 others like this.
  7. I agree. "The only person you can 100% rely on is your self." If you mess up it's your fault and ou have no problem fixing it. You don't have to rely on someone who may be incompetent.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  8. I'm confused, now... I remember asking what the EMC economy plugin was, because iConomy was outdated, and because I was curious...
    You said you used a modified version of the essentials plugin.
    Did you change that and now it's a part of the Empire plugin?
    It's like this with programming games. I was making a game with a friend who now lives on the other side of the pond, and I was relying on him to fix several bugs. I ended up waiting 2 hours, so I decided to fix them myself. After about half an hour on each bug I was ready to begin adding new things.

Our entry was late (it was for a competition), but the outcome was great.

I also own my own Minecraft mod (would never be accepted onto EMC though, too many vanilla changes) that, right now, only works with Minecraft FR 1.1. I released a really rubbish version after 6 months of programming and restarting, and the new guy who took it over cancelled it. So now i'm making a rebooted version of it once I finish my minimap mod (like rei's minimap, but much more customization options and an easier to use interface) because somebody got stuck on a glitch I could have fixed.
  9. Hey Aikar im trying to me my own personal server working and the plugins arent really working right... Is there any chace I can have a copy of some of the EMC custon coded plugins? (at least the residence parts) and i was wondering what world generator (or if u made your own) to make the plots and if u had a plugin that automatically registered them as "claimable" and how the /visit and /claim and stuff... My server is survival games and my friends want to build and not get griefed, so if you allowed me this I would greatly appreiciate it :).
  10. No, you will not get a copy of the EMC custom coded plugins. They are custom coded for a reason: To provide a unique experience for EMC. Not 'let's release it to the world and call it unique'.

Also, I know the world generator they use:
    Worldedit for town.

The pre-spawned wilderness is made with... I forgot the name, i'll go find it. And the multiple worlds and wilderness outpost teleporters are done with multiverse.
  11. WorldGenerationControl with a touch of ICC flying around if I remember correctly :)
    mba2012 and SoulPunisher like this.
  12. Aaand, off to bed.. I can't imagine the amount of replies i'll have in the morning. I usually have around 30-40 when I wake up on weekends. On school days... I get about 40-45.
  13. I was High! Jks nah dunno just having some fun before getting banned :p Made Max laugh anyways :p
  14. I think I remember saying that, but it was before I joined the team... It's def not related to essentials though.
  15. Our rupees is part of our main EMC plugin, it is completely custom and it is what allows us to have rupee history on the site / etc.
    mba2012 and SoulPunisher like this.
  16. I love EMC :D
    mba2012 likes this.