Why are gamers so competitive these days..?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by autumnrain26, May 12, 2014.

1. I don't think gamers have really become more competitive over time. Growing up, my friends were probably more competetive about video games than they are now. I think the main change is that games utilize the internet more, meaning that action games (like Call of Duty, Smash Bros, etc) let you play with anyone at any time, and strategy games (Pokemon, Lol, etc) have all the information you need online to play perfectly. It's easier to play competitively than it used to be, so more people do it. In the past, if you wanted competition in video games, you just had to hope your friends would play with you.
  2. With the development of low cost airlines in Europe (easyjet, transavia, ryanair etc.) concerns have been raised about how these airlines treat their crew (most notoriously ryanair pilots last year) and how they compromise flight safety for profit. People will book cheap flights, not knowing that the pilot might be fatigued, not knowing if there is enough emergency fuel on board, or whether the aircraft has been well maintained. Sure, they'll get a cheap flight to where they want to go to, but at a lower flight safety and with an underpaid and overworked airline crew. I'm not sure if that's a 'better' product than what the traditional airlines were offering at a higher price.
    Maybe passengers are okay with risking their lives for a discount on the price, but at least they have a right to know so they can make a conscious decision.

As for commercial aircraft manufacturers (with the exception of private business jet manufacturers), airlines don't really have a choice, they can only choose between Airbus and Boeing. Eventually old aircraft become to expensive to be maintained and airlines will have to buy new aircraft if they want to stay alive as a business, so they have to buy whatever Airbus or Boeing makes.

"The development of the Low Cost Model in the European Civil Aviation Industry"study conducted by Swansea University and Cardiff University for the European Transport Workers’ Federation (ETF)
    LFA = low fares airlines

http://www.etf-atm.org/attachments/190_Final Brochure LFAs 220812.pdf

"In a strongly worded report Spanish safety investigators said that “market competition” was forcing airlines to carry less emergency fuel to improve competitiveness."
    (http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...nair-cut-fuel-levels-for-flights-8749046.html)

"A team from University College London (UCL) led by Professor Andrew Steptoe has found that Britain's airline pilots are suffering 'significant fatigue.'
    Their report, published today, shows that of a sample of 492 pilots (two thirds of them Captains) 45 per cent were suffering significant fatigue. And 40 per cent found themselves having to fly more than the regulation hours at least twice a month to cope with the volume of flights. The Civil Aviation Authority does allow these 'discretionary hours' to deal with difficult situations but they are supposed to be a rare, not regular, event.
    Disturbingly, the UCL study reveals that 'one in five pilots reported that their abilities were compromised in flight more than once a week.'
    The study goes on 'Pilot fatigue is an acknowledged contributory risk factor to aircraft accidents.'

'With increasing competitiveness in the industry there was always a risk that fatigue levels would increase for pilots. This study shows that the risk is real. And our major concern is that, far from regulating to tackle this growing problem, the European Union is proposing to scrap UK regulations and replace them with more permissive rules."

( http://www.balpa.org/News-and-campa...PORT-ON-FATIGUED-PILOTS-PUBLIC-SHOULD-BE.aspx
    British Airline Pilots' Association (BALPA))
    607 and mba2012 like this.
  3. I know that for Call of Duty, there are some competative games that you win money if your team ends up wining. Then if your team is really good you can get sponsored and stuff like that.
  4. Why are people competitive?
    1. Because it is fun. Take a look at almost all recreational activities. Sports revolve around it, board games revolve around it, even drawing and writing can be considered competition. Even reading involves competition because you are immersing yourself into a world of conflict and a protagonist trying to beat an antagonist. We LOVE competition. Coop is competition against computers. This thread can even be considered competition against those who compete aggressively.
    2. Leads to innovations. I would like to point out the human genome project. The basic idea was to map out human dna. The process started slow but it sped up. Why did it speed up. Competition. Government agencies were trying to sequence it while private industries wanted to do it faster. A race started. Imagine other things without competition. Moral issues in companies were pointed out earlier. What makes a company choose to fix these issues? The threat of you buying from a competitor because of them.
    3. Helps us survive. Natural selection is the idea that traits that help an organism survive and reproduce will be passed on to the offspring. Because other species are competing, we must too. The best of the best will live and help the next generation survive too.
    Why are gamers competitive?
    Because it is what makes things fun, it gives us new and fantastic things, and it is a crucial part of human nature.
    bloodra1n likes this.
  5. cause umm biology, psychology, and sociology are all based off some sort of darwinian mechanism.
    humanity evolved the way we did because of competition, its in our genes and has worked out pretty good for us so far.
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  6. Its just human nature, we want to be the best and we will do whatever we can to achieve victory.
  7. I think it feels good to be the best at something. I often don't really care about being good or better than the majority though, because I know people won't like me more if I set a world record for super hexagon. When people like you either way, I like competition and trying to win of other people, but don't really care whether I belong to the top 50, 20, or 3%.
  8. I don't need to compete to be superior, I already know I am :cool:

But being serious
    Competition -> Evolution.

That's how empires where built, technology forged, cities, EVERYTHING was created in order to the better than someone or something.

It's just what we are, that's why there are highscores and such in games.