Who Has Gigabit Internet/Who is going to have it as soon as it's built into your city

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jeanzl2000, Oct 18, 2012.

1. tbh, i have to freakin idea. i tried to launch the game, and it made my computer go hay-wire
  2. UBF is coming to nz soon!
    I so wish I had Gigabit internet so bad!
    I hate my asdl2+ It's so slow.
    It sucks that I am with the worst rated provider on nz (vodafone nz)
  3. Tf2 took me 6 hrs (thats good for me)
    It was going at 600kb/s
  4. It is compared to many computers out there. For example, my laptop I got used as a fixer-upper specifically because it is perfect for my needs and was very cheap... is a pentium dual core 1.87ghz with intel gma960 and 3gb ram, with an 80gb hdd. This laptop is an early core 2 duo with plenty of ram, 64 bit capability, low power use so quiet fan, large easy to type on keyboard, nice screen that's not to thin and wide, dual core, and enough video oomph to browse the net well.

And I got it just 6 months ago.

Not everyone can afford a new PC let alone a new PC every few years - some even have to make do with downright old stuff that most people toss in the bin... pentium 4 1.4ghz with 512MB ram and an old AGP video card, for example.

Hell, today I just got finished installing windows 95 on my 386dx40mhz and getting it on the net, my hobby is putting together and collecting x86 PCs from all eras and that kind of thing really opens your eyes, especially when you start digging for something on the net and find recent posts of people that have to make do with such old stuff, though this particular one is rare, I have seen pentium 2s and pentium 3s (and their amd counterparts, k6 and athlon) as daily driver computers for the poor and otherwise-budgeted (huge medical bills for example!) folks.

Take a look at the steam hardware survey. This is a continual ongoing survey of all hardware steam is installed on, a rolling average of all computers which run steam... This is the most complete census of pc hardware out there, the only real slant is that it is only folks that install steam... far more ubiquitous and complete survey than any other census I have ever seen.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Take a look, really. it will open your eyes.
    Jeanzl2000 likes this.

5. I'm not in Va, I'm in North Carolina, apparently the location in NC closest to me didn't respond. I'm with Centurylink/Embarq and sometimes they are idiots. CenturyLink™ High-Speed Internet - 10.0
    I already have the fastest speed available in my area.

For those of you with TF2 issues, try going into options and turning Shader Detail down to the lowest setting/off. I have to do this for TF2 and L4D2 on the hubby's PC even though his has the stuff for gaming. My laptop has Windows Vista Home Basic and was bought at an Office Max so it's more for other stuff, but can run games semi decent.

Edit:
  6. I don't get these people complaining about having 10Mbps internet...

That's quite good, and insanely good compared to some of my friends which happen to live in bad areas for net... australia comes to mind but so do certain rural areas where 256Kbps is all you are going to get... and then there's places that are only accessible with dialup... yes, they still exist.

A couple years ago I was quite happy with 1.5Mbps shared with three people because we lived outside of richmond, VA by about 20 miles. (new canton, VA.)
  7. I've become very spoiled with my 70 Mbps Internet. There certainly are advantages to living in the capital city. :p It wasn't more than a few years ago when I thought 2 Mbps was fast... I can totally see how people might start complaining about having "only" 10 Mbps internet when they see people with 50 Mbps, 70 Mbps, 90 Mbps and I think I even saw somebody with a 200+ Mbps connection on here (different thread).
  8. Wow. I built mine, specs are fairly good...
    Motherboard: AsRock P67 Extreme4
    Processor: Intel i5 2500k quad core overclocked.
    GFX Card: Nvidia GT 520 1gb GDDR3
    Case: HAF X 922
    RAM: 24gb DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    Boot drive: 128gb OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (500 mb/s read and 450 mb/s write) (SATA 3)
    Storage Drive: 1tb 7200RPM Seagate (SATA 3)
  9. ...What relevance does this post have, exactly? More than anything else, it seems like you're simply posting this information for the sake of posting it.
    jaqiefox likes this.
  10. The average specs of the Steam players in the post i quoted.. the link.
  11. I re-ran my speed test and got better speeds :) grade B
    Jeanzl2000 likes this.
  12. Two points there...
    One: Snip the post so people know what you're talking about.
    Two: You missed the entire point of the post.
    jaqiefox likes this.
  13. I'm fine with my current speed to be honest. I get faster download then 98% of Great Britain (Due to the fact I'm on the Trial Rollout for my ISP's 120/12 (Norm is 100/10). 1Gbit is way too much in my opinion. Not to mention the fact current routers can only support 8 downstream channels on QAM256. (Which is about 300MBPS)

Nole972 and Squizzel_Boy like this.
  14. HOLY CRAP thats fast

15. I don't want 1GBP/s download I wan't 0% peak time it's what makes everyone's internet bad at times it's to most common reason people look for a new ISP

I'd love it for there to be a internet package for 30mbp/s 2-3GB upload with no peak time.
    sadly this is nearly impossible to achieve :/
  16. We aren't talking about GB we are talking about Gb
  17. Yes, 8Gb is equal to 1GB. The difference is Bytes vs Bits. there are 8 bits in a Byte
    Jeanzl2000 likes this.
  18. :p to you. Mine is the best in my area. I live in the sticks in a town in North Carolina.