what does"luck" mean?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PseudoDistant, Mar 18, 2017.

1. I know what luck means cuz I looked it up but idk what it is in mc and when I got the pot of gold I saw the rabbits foot ( I forgot what it was called lol) and it gave you 25% luck, what does it do ( explanation for noobs please :D)
    ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.
  2. Here's from the Wiki:

Luck is a Status Effect which increases the probability of finding high-quality loot from either Mobs, Chests, or Fishing.

So the higher your luck is, the better chance at loot you have :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. Winning a lottery, being hit by a stray bullet, or surviving a plane crash, all are instances of a mundane phenomenon: luck. Mundane as it is, the concept of luck nonetheless plays a pivotal role in central areas of philosophy, either because it is the key element of widespread philosophical theses or because it gives rise to challenging puzzles. For example, a common claim in philosophy of action is that acting because of luck prevents free action. A platitude in epistemology is that coming to believe the truth by sheer luck is incompatible with knowing. If two people act in the same way but the consequences of one of their actions are worse due to luck, should we morally assess them in the same way? Is the inequality of a person unjust when it is caused by bad luck? These two complex issues are a matter of controversy in ethics and political philosophy, respectively.

A legitimate question is whether the concept of luck itself is worthy of philosophical investigation. One might think that it is not given (i) how acquainted we are with the phenomenon of luck in everyday life and (ii) the fact that progress has been made in the aforementioned debates on the assumption of a pre-theoretical understanding of the notion.

However, the idea that a rigorous analysis of the general concept of luck might serve to make further progress in areas of philosophy where the notion plays a fundamental role has motivated a recent and growing philosophical literature on the nature of luck itself. Although some might be skeptical that investigating the nature of luck in general can help shed some light on long-standing philosophical debates such as the nature of knowledge, it is hardly sustainable that no general account of luck will be able to ground any substantive claim in areas of philosophy where the notion is constantly invoked but left undefined.
  4. Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
    Raaynn and AhsokaTower like this.
  5. bruh this has nothing to do with minecraft lol xD :) :D
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. 1, this has nothing to do with minecraft. and 2, anti-joke chicken don't use caps on forums!
    sorry about da caps.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. It was a joke but yeah :D
    datNilex likes this.
  8. The OP never specified (Luck in Minecraft) he only specified what luck does. If your taking things word for word this is a legitimate answer.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. so which should I have gotten, the gold pot or the rabbit foot.
    no thank you shep.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. Actually that's not fully correct up there.

Luck is indeed a status effect which affects loot tables, but as of right now the only loot table which supports the luck status is the fishing one (source: Minecraft wiki). I seriously doubt you'll get much extra from raiding loot chests.

That is: unless Aikar made some custom changes (which is possible) but the wiki doesn't reflect on that so I have to assume this isn't the case. Which means the rabbit foot will only aid your fishing as of now.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  11. Here is more info

Equinox_Boss likes this.
  12. That guy sounds weird to me. He claims that "according to the wiki the luck attribute affects the drops we get from mobs". I wonder what wiki he's been reading...

See the official Minecraft wiki on luck.

I have to admit: after hearing this I stopped watching, also because my tests confirmed what the wiki said.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. Then you didnt watch the video... you just watch the first 30 secs...

He normally quotes the wiki, and then tries to determine if its true or not. For that part, then he states: https://youtu.be/d6RsmSSXs9g?t=3m23s (Stating it false)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  14. I also saw the part where he told us how he tried to test how luck affected chests and all but that his test ended up to be flawed, so in the end he concluded that it didn't affect vanilla loot chests, only if you set up some commands which added the luck factor. Which is basically also what I've said above :)
    Tuqueque likes this.